General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Extended Mirrors from eBay

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Extended Mirrors from eBay

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I bought a set from slapi01 recently and while I can mount them on the bike, there is not enough adjustment range at the ball joint to allow the mirrors to function properly. They offer a stunning view of myself on the bike, but not the road behind or beside me.

slapi01 sold the mirrors to me without trying them on first and was unaware of the fitment problem. They sold/sell on ebay for about $50 and look to be Chinese made.

You may laugh at my predicament only if you offer constructive advice as well.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Pictures would help but you can help yourself if you visit the knowledge base. I have the R6 mirrors that are talked about there. There are certain years that fit - not all.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
Does anyone have any experience with these?

I bought a set from slapi01 recently and while I can mount them on the bike, there is not enough adjustment range at the ball joint to allow the mirrors to function properly. They offer a stunning view of myself on the bike, but not the road behind or beside me.

slapi01 sold the mirrors to me without trying them on first and was unaware of the fitment problem. They sold/sell on ebay for about $50 and look to be Chinese made.

You may laugh at my predicament only if you offer constructive advice as well.
i bought a pair of R1 mirrors for $29.00 delivered, loosened them at the pivot, adjusted them out, and put a self tapping screw to hold it in that position. This is actually the second set over the past couple years. i broke one in the garage, so got another set. I like them cause there's no weight to them, visibility is great, and they're expendable.

i don't know if yours are for an R1, they are a longer.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I did do a search in the knowledge base and the closest thing was a 2005 thread that mentioned generic mirrors on eBay.

slapi01 assures me that the mirrors he sold me were S'Hawk specific according to the auction listing. I'm not sure if the auction said they are for R1, R6 as well. He had posted a picture of them in his "for sale" thread about a month ago.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 AM
MotoGP

29 dollars:weigh nothing, cost nothing and work much better than OEM, which isn't saying much. haha. The only negative is that if you accidentally or intentionally fold them in w/o removing the set screw, you might be ordering a new set.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Squid

nt650 is on a distinguished road
Nath,

Did you have to modify them and add the self tapping screw so you could pivot them farther out?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nt650
Nath,

Did you have to modify them and add the self tapping screw so you could pivot them farther out?
they have little knuckles that keep them at the optimum position for the bike they were designed for, in this case the RI/R6. When you bump it or pull it back, it compresses a spring and this allows it to pass over the knuckle. I just pulled it to the position I wanted and drilled it. I guess you could make an angled wedge to fit under the base, but that's not the route I chose. I'm sure there's a better way to alter the knuckle so that it works as intended, but I didn't figure it out yet.

Last edited by nath981; 11-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Squid

slapi01 is on a distinguished road
here is the pic of them if it helps out nekkid..

Name:  DSCN0869.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  206.2 KB

this whole transaction leaves a bad taste in my mouth as i sold what i though to be no problem bolt ons to IDK.... like nekkid said i ended up putting bar ends on mine, so any help to get these mounted up looking purdy for him would br great... nekkid i will have the store narrowed down this weekend.. i'll pm you regardless of what you find out here
Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Squid

Acecool is on a distinguished road
The rubber cover for the ball joint should be VERY hard to move. Get them on your bike and try using the leverage to move them!!!

Like your stock ones, you can SWIVEL the mirror itself, and you can ROTATE the bar either towards you or away from you to a certain distance.

If the boot on the bottom is not hard plastic (should be a stiff rubber boot), try to rotate them!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:12 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
You can unbolt the stems that attach the OE mirror "clevises" that mount to the fairing under the rubber boots, and grind off one side of the "rivets" that retain the stems to the mounts on the R1/R6/FZ1 mirror (and others). Then bolt the R1/R6/FZ1 mirror/stem with spring (wave) washers, flat washers of the correct OD & ID to the VTR mounts. Now you have easy adjustment and OE mirror orientation. I have custom machined, anodized extenders in between R1 mirrors and the OE mounts for a great rear view with 3 angles of adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails Extended Mirrors from eBay-ba-vtr-mirrors.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Acecool
The rubber cover for the ball joint should be VERY hard to move. Get them on your bike and try using the leverage to move them!!!

Like your stock ones, you can SWIVEL the mirror itself, and you can ROTATE the bar either towards you or away from you to a certain distance.

If the boot on the bottom is not hard plastic (should be a stiff rubber boot), try to rotate them!
now that's a possibility i never thought of. Might work!