Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Instrument Cluster Wiring Extended

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Instrument Cluster Wiring Extended

Since I have done my naked conversion, I need about 4 inches of extra slack in my wiring to my instrument cluster to get it to clear the headlight and ignition. Anyone know where I could get a male and female plug that are the same as the stock? I could cut, splice, and solder, but I would prefer to make an "extension cord" to just plug in just in case i ever want to switch back. I did a quick search, but only found stuff on switching to a different instrument cluster.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Back Marker

No help yet?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Squid

jim2000VTR is on a distinguished road
did this ever turn out?

I am interested in changing my 2000 to a naked bike, but want the stock instruments, so I am really curious how yours turned out. From what I can see, the instruments need to be raised quite a bit so one can attach a naked headlight. Drop a note to me at lamanjim@juno.com if you have some pics.

thx
Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Back Marker

I bent a bracket out of stainless 1/4" bar. I added about 6" of wiring so I would have plenty to mess with. I used the Honda 599 headlight which is quite large compared especially to the dual headlight kits. The stock instrument cluster does sit on top of the headlight, but I think it looks ok. I made the bracket so that it hit both of the upper screw holes in the clusster, and made a "U" shaped end on each end. I kept it as low and as far back as possible without interfering with the ignition or anything. The stainless was a bit difficult to bend, but with a MAPP gas torch, it did ok. Just make sure you have gloves and a bucket of water. To hold the headlight I just used the aluminum sheet metal brackets you can find all day on debay. To hold the instrument cluster bracket in lace, I used the pressure of the bracket pushing out on the bolts of the headlight brackets to keep it solid. The "U" ends went around the bolts to hold it in place. To extend the harness, I soldered all the connections, and put shrink tubing on it. If I were doing it again, I would use the aint on stuff they sell at Menards or electrical stores. I don't have any pictures because I wrecked it soon after (I hate tar roads). If you have any questions, let me know. I am horrible at explaining things, but if you want, I can try to write it step for step. The bike and bracket are both in storage, so I can't get pictures. I will do me best to help you though.

L