General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just rode a friend's Street Triple

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Just rode a friend's Street Triple

Made the "I'll cover your deductible" pledge and took it out for a rip through the business park at lunch. Man, the startup on the Triumph sure makes the Superhawk feel a bit old. Flashing lights on the dash, fuel injection, instant firing, then instantly settling into a constant, electric-like motor whir.

Said friend was talking about how twitchy the throttle was, and how much torque the bike had, but it didn't seem to be in the same league as the S'Hawk to me. No vibes, no loud bark, just a hint of intake growl on acceleration.

Wasn't used to the upright, close-bar seating position either. Felt like being on a moped. I quickly learned that its pretty cool around city streets- just yank the wide bar around to make the light bike do what you want. Not sure I'd like it as much over the long haul tho'.

The biggest diff for me was the suspension. The Street Triple felt perfectly sprung and tightly damped, the tires were well connected to the tarmac. I don't get that with the flaccid SH fork and dull thump rear end.

So I wish I could get the fuel injected perfection and good suspension of the ST with the burbling heart and soul of the Superhawk.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If you want torque on a Triumph... try the Speed Triple... That's got torque... and an attitude to match... It's a close match to the SH...

Now stop whining and go get yourself a new front end...
Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
But I'm from Sonoma County

its "Whine Country!"
Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
I've never ridden the 675 Street Triple but have ridden the Speed Triple 1050. LOVED that bike and I enjoy triples just as much as twins. If I would of found one in my budget when I was shopping, I would of picked one up.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The Speed Triples I have ridden where the 955i and the first generation 1050... back when it had the demeneor of a rabid dog... It still has, but it's mellowed a bit since then...

I recently tried the all new -08... it felt like a hooligan that put on his best sunday suit... a bit wierd to begin with, but once the tie and suit jacket came of it was back to it's old self again...