General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ebay: do you trust you're getting clean goods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Ebay: do you trust you're getting clean goods?

So I'm fairly new to buying through Ebay. I do most of my shopping through Craig's List. But I just bought a pair of F4i calipers that are in such good condition - I mean like not used condition - for only $60, and I can't help but wonder where a seller picks up such unscathed parts.

If you buy through Ebay do you attempt to filter potentially stolen goods? If so, what's your method?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
When I was stationed in San Diego a freind saw a bunch of parts that looked just like custom parts on his bike.....that was stolen the week before. Parts were in LA.

He contacted the local cops in San Diego and LA. Was told they "couldn't" do anything.

He also bid on his own parts. When he won a bid he was told he could pick up the parts at a shopping center parking lot. He called the cops again and was told if he picked up the parts he could be charged with recieving stolen goods.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
It almost sounds like the cop that he talked to and the thief were one in the same person. Any way you look at it, it's a fucked up situation to be in.
I bought a replacement swing arm off eBay for my bike to as part of the salvage rebuild. The one I received had the part number sanded off, as if that number was a unique identifier. It was likely from a stolen bike, but I had no way of proving it and therefore had no information to give to authorities. You never really can know for sure though. It sucks, but that is a part buying used goods online.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I generally go by the too good to be true rule. eBay is a little different since sometimes people just want to get rid of it, but don't have an accurate idea of its worth and don't want to undersell themselves. On the other hand, thieves may figure $50 and scotfree is better than $500 and a sentence, so it's hard to tell. Personally I hate ebay and paypal, I think they're crooks and therefore allow crooks in among the honest sellers.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
^^ regarding your friend who won his item on ebay

how can be theft it you're in posetion of goods that are yours to begin with?!

cop dont want to deal with what they consider "pety theft" although thats what most of theft that occurs falls under. they like to go after "theft rings" because thats the only way they get promoted in that busines.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
This is somewhat true. When we threatened the drifters across the road with multiple BE's we told the local cops - next time we call won't be about some report - we need body bags. APD dialed it up and the punks moved out and did so in about three weeks. They're prob stealing from somebody as we speak but they are not part of this neighborhood or will be.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 AM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
This is somewhat true. When we threatened the drifters across the road with multiple BE's we told the local cops - next time we call won't be about some report - we need body bags. APD dialed it up and the punks moved out and did so in about three weeks. They're prob stealing from somebody as we speak but they are not part of this neighborhood or will be.
huh
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
you just can't tell these days what stolen & whats not.

i know a couple of people that have parted out gsxr's an zx10 because the way the market is they could get more, albeit with a bit of work, parting it out vs. selling it outright. if i were to sell my 'hawk thats what i would do also.
since i'm close to the race seen i see a lot of brand new bikes getting pullled apart and upgraded to SS & SB trim ( race bikes ). the brakes / plastics / tires / wheels / lights / turn signals / ECU / harness / etc. etc. all get sold to cover the cost of the kit parts.

tim