General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How to clean the lower pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 06:55 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: How to clean the lower pipes?

Hey, another phil and another Texan! Welcome.

Man, I don't know either. I've had two superhawks; an original new 98 back in the day and now another 98.

The first one I tried to keep clean and polished which helped alot. With this older one, I haven't found anything or method yet. My usually reliable metal polishes (semichrome, honda, mothers) put some shine back to them but they don't clean them. I've also tried metal wool pads with some but little effect. Well, at least they don't show rust or blueing like other pipe finishes.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

and here i thought i was the only one with that gay looking black shoe mark on my beautiful header, well it was before the mark!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Regarding general cleaning and metal protection, I find that Mother's "California Gold" Carnuba Cleaner Wax does the trick. (I use a sloppy-wet--detergent-free--rag to remove road spray, then dry the pipes and slip-on exhaust with a dry cloth before applying Mother's cleaner wax.)

To remove the unfortunate-but-common rubber sole material from the pipes, I have found nothing yet that is better than Simichrome metal polish, which, by the way, is also excellent for removing surface rust from chrome of all kinds). However, even using Simichrome will likely take a good deal of elbow torque--and gratuitous swearing--to remove that dad-gum rubber. _

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 02-24-2005, 09:31 AM
faz
Superstock

faz
Originally Posted by mrshl13";p=&quot
I have aftermarket high mounts so the S-pipes are polished. I used a Harley-style heat shield on the side my boot hits and just use Mother's Metal Polish on the other side. Still has some rust I haven't taken the time to get off.

On the header I tried something I saw a post on in a Mustang forum. I sprayed Copper Gasket Maker on it. It looks just like copper at first and then cures to a nice, flat aluminum color. If I can remember to I'll upload pics of the initial look when I get home tonight...if anyone wants to see them, that is. If it doesn't turn out as pretty as I want I have some aluminum colored high temp paint.
Lets see the pics!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:24 PM
MotoGP

Honda's metal polish is essentially the same thing as semi-chrome (I have a polished frame/swingarm). Although both are fantastic, neither one of these has helped with my blemished pipes, except make the blemishes shinier!
Old 02-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Regarding metal polish in general (not Simichrome for cleaning rust and such), I have to offer a testimonial of sorts:

Recently, I bought a container of "Mother's Incredible Billet Metal Polish", and I have to agree that their claim on the container, "the absolute finest finish available—guaranteed" is actually true.

I used Mother's Billet Metal Polish to work-over the stripped wheels on SuperChicken III, to get rid of slight oxidation, and it worked like magic.

My guess is that the base ingredient of this polish is relatively the same as in the pastes used to remove scratches from surfaces of Lexan convertible top windows, a fine grit (of garnet stones or pummice, or something) that is used at the last stage of reconditioning.

Whatever the case, to demonstrate to my mechainic its amazing qualities, I used Mother's Billet Metal Polish on a patch of the heavily oxidized case of a 1979 Honda CB 750 that was in his shop. When I applied then wiped-off the polish, the patch to which it was applied looked incredible in comparison to the rest of the milky-oxidized case.

Another benefit of this polish is that it does not require a great deal of elbow torque: you simply apply it per instructions (until the paste turns from white to black). Unlike a wax, you do not let it dry; you merely wipe it off after it turns black, and then you admire the results.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Squid

uberhawk

I had amazing luck using Naval Jelly on the headers, both on the VTR and on a 919 I'm cleaning up to sell. It really eats up the gunky stuff. Just be careful what you get it on...you never know what the stuff will do to strange materials.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uberhawk";p=&quot
I had amazing luck using Naval Jelly on the headers,.
OK you've got my interest. What is it? Where do you get it? And how much does it cost? Also, is it caustic requiring gloves or extra care?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Superstock

cdyer77

Originally Posted by uberhawk";p=&quot
I had amazing luck using Naval Jelly
You get that stuff from your belly button, first you must not bath for 3 weeks, then using a q-tip, gently extract the precious naval jelly. It can be stored in glass jars until you have enough to do the area your trying to clean. Use sparingly as this is a very caustic jelly as can dissolve must corrision found on the planet.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:25 AM
MotoGP

Can this also be combined with ear wax for long lasting shine?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Squid

ericbrinton
I still have some left on my pipes but I found cleaning it off while its still blazing hot usually works
Old 10-20-2006, 08:32 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
My pipes were really bad when I bought the bike. The whole high mount was a light brownish color so I had to use emery cloth to clean it off. I started out with coarse, worked down to medium, then finished with a fine wet sand. AFter that I used the Mother's polish ball and some mothers metal polish and they look great. I also picked up some samson 4" heat shields from DK that work really good. I still get that black scuff mark near the kickstand though, but it cleans off easy.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
To easily get melted shoe rubber off clean the pipes right after a ride when they're hot. Just be sure to wad the towel up real thick obviously so you don't burn yourself and use some mothers or equivalent to get the thick stuff off. It's impossible when it's cold. Also a light wetsanding (heavier to remove deeper scratches) followed with some polish also can make any metal look brand new. Takes some elbow grease but the results are the best.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Squid

barkmagnet is on a distinguished road
I just wraped my pipes with header wrap. I took off each pipe & did them seperate using saftey wire on the ends. Discount Auto Parts sells the wrap for about 40.00. One roll is plenty to do both pipes.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike
I'm told (but havn't tried) that oven cleaner works great when pipes are hot.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
What I used to get the melted sole of my shoes off was very fine steel wool and a little soap. Cheap and effective.

Wal-Mart sells it.

Use this stuff so you won't have to use Navel Jelly for rust....
http://www.corrosionx.com/