General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Frankenstand

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Frankenstand

I've always liked the idea of one-handed or "reverse" stands, they always seemed more secure than the rear style; so when I got an old AC stick machine from a guy I work with I figured it would make a good project - up to this point my only welding experience was an afternoon playing around with various mig and tig machines at on of our suppliers. My first attempt I made adjustable L-shaped brackets on threaded rod to support the swingarm - I binned that idea when I tried welding zinc-coated hardware to steel stock! I went with a simpler 1/2" rod swingarm pin design. Initially I had the pins about 14 1/2" high - except I could'nt get the bike up even with a handle extension. I realized the tire does'nt have to be raised that high so I cut of the pins and re-welded another set at about 12 1/2" and it made all the difference. With one hand on the left grip and slight pressure on the handle it goes up on the stand no problem. 'Cause my welds are crappy I reinforced the stress points and the swingarm pins with additional 1/8" stock and 90 degree brackets. In retrospect I would probably raise the pins a little higher for a bit more clearance. Waddya think?
Attached Thumbnails Frankenstand-dsc05985-6.jpg   Frankenstand-dsc06062-7.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Nice, it's funny how you can get by for so many years without a welder, then when you get one (or two), you wonder how you ever survived without. One thought on your design: The pins that the swingarm rest on may slip, causing the bike to fall. Maybe some Tool Dip on those to give them a little more friction.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I'd use some rubber fuel line, or something similar to slip over those pins.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
I've always liked the idea of one-handed or "reverse" stands, they always seemed more secure than the rear style; so when I got an old AC stick machine from a guy I work with I figured it would make a good project - up to this point my only welding experience was an afternoon playing around with various mig and tig machines at on of our suppliers. My first attempt I made adjustable L-shaped brackets on threaded rod to support the swingarm - I binned that idea when I tried welding zinc-coated hardware to steel stock! I went with a simpler 1/2" rod swingarm pin design. Initially I had the pins about 14 1/2" high - except I could'nt get the bike up even with a handle extension. I realized the tire does'nt have to be raised that high so I cut of the pins and re-welded another set at about 12 1/2" and it made all the difference. With one hand on the left grip and slight pressure on the handle it goes up on the stand no problem. 'Cause my welds are crappy I reinforced the stress points and the swingarm pins with additional 1/8" stock and 90 degree brackets. In retrospect I would probably raise the pins a little higher for a bit more clearance. Waddya think?
Beautiful bike, how come you're not participating in VTR Of The Month?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
That is a good setup that you have made. I really need to take up welding...

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
I'd use some rubber fuel line, or something similar to slip over those pins.
Good idea here. This will keep the bike from sliding for/aft while torquing bolts, prevent scoring on the bottom of swing arm, and add some extra height. The additional clearance will depend upon the thickness of the hose that you choose to install.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Thanks for the input. You can't see in the pics but I've got a piece of 1" i.d. braided hose over the pins! I don't know about bike of the month though - I just think that a red bike with white number plates is a classic look - ever since I saw Marco Luccinelli on his Duc 888 Superbike at Mosport for for the 1990 World Superbike race.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
VERY tasteful...I love the bike! Bet those staintunes sound awesome

I took a tig class about a year ago and I've been wishing to get around to getting my own and getting better at it.

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-19-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Yeah, TIG welding is an art unto itself - you gotta love that "stack of dimes" look on a good tig weld, though. The build quality on the Staintunes is something else - comparable to OEM or higher. And no blown out packing!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
That's pretty cool, I'd never seen that style stand before. Not to hijack, but I have the standard rear style and I can't seem to lift the bike onto it myself. Is there a safe way to do this solo?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Reason
That's pretty cool, I'd never seen that style stand before. Not to hijack, but I have the standard rear style and I can't seem to lift the bike onto it myself. Is there a safe way to do this solo?
That's the whole point of this type of stand... Makes for a stable one man operation... one hand on the bar by the clutch, one on the stand...

The downside is the handle... It's keeps getting in the way when you work on the bike... The rear type is neater that way, but more work to use on your own...

If you are going to weld stuff up... Try an ABBA type stand... It's a one man stand and it allows the rear swing to come of, ie allows shock work...

Also combined with a small floor jack you can remove the front fork...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...highlight=abba
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well by doing it the way Mr Toad did vs bikerpiker's, the handle is parallel with the ground.. making it less in the way. In fact if you put the handle all the way at the bottom of the stand with a handle on it, it'd be even more out of the way.

Though bikerpiker's is a removable handle, so that works too.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... you remove it or slip it down the tube and then there is no handle, just the stand...