General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What are you guys getting at the drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
What are you guys getting at the drag strip?

I've been drag racing these last few weeks and have been pleasantly suprized at what my hawk can do but my local strip turns off the clocks during the friday night races so I don't know my times. With one tooth down in the front, my suspension tightened all the way up I trap 140mph (indicated). If my reaction time is good and after correcting for the speedometer (*15/16 for the sprocket and *.95 because most bikes read high stock) I think I'm in the high tens. I beat a few 636's, an 06 CBR1000RR twice and two different busas. Obviously my bike isn't as fast as a busa or 1000RR but if I got a good launch they couldn't catch me.

Does anyone have slips? What can these things do?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:09 PM
IB Staff
Squid

IB Advertising is on a distinguished road
You can calculate the ET from the MPH, by using a calculator such as this one: http://golenengineservice.com/calc/calcetm.htm

140 MPH works out to be around 9.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by admin
You can calculate the ET from the MPH, by using a calculator such as this one: http://golenengineservice.com/calc/calcetm.htm

140 MPH works out to be around 9.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
I wish! Lets see with the speedo correction (140 x 15/16 x .95 = 125mph) that works out to more like 10.9044.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
IB Staff
Squid

IB Advertising is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
I wish! Lets see with the speedo correction (140 x 15/16 x .95 = 125mph) that works out to more like 10.9044.
Ya, sorry, I didn't see the part about the speedo correction in your original post. ;-)
Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Superstock

No problem. I think it also assumes perfect traction and launch. For example in real life a ZX-10R does a 9.92 at 149mph. Higher trap speed but also a higher time. Hmmmmm... That means if these one liter sport bikes could keep the front wheel on the ground while pouring it on they'd probably be running mid eights in the 150mph range. Wow!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Squid

Motohead
With slip-ons, Factory 1.0 and a K&N I ran 11.3X at 125 and some change. I think strapping the front end (which I intend to do next time out) could have brought high 10's as my short track time was pretty weak - 1.7 going by memory.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:47 AM
Squid

grampi
That trap speed vs time calculation isn't correct. I just saw a mag test of the new ZX-14 which ran low 9's with a trap speed of 178.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:59 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
that calculator is right. you will run mid 8's with a good setup and be at about 158mph. it assumes a perfect run basically though. it typically is a better indicator of what a bike is capable of if setup perfectly for drag racing. street bikes that are stock aren't designed for drag racing. for drag racing you'd want it to be slammed, extended swing arm, anything to keep the front down and to be able to use all your power
Old 05-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Your results are a good indicator that if you are racing against a Superhawk you can't be sloppy or you might just get embarrased. It's more fun when you win with the percieved slower bike. You are obviously getting more out of your bike than they are. The Superhawk has a lot of punch which lets it get out ahead like that before their top end comes on.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Squid

Pdaddy
So give us a run down of how your "launching" your Hawk, you must be doing something right to get out in front of the bikes your describing. Thats cool man. There is an 1/8th mile dragstrip close to my house I wanna get 1k miles on mine before I run it though (Im just over 700 on the odometer right now) LOL
Old 05-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Superstock

Depending on what tire your running you want to burn it off and move it side it side but don't liquify it. If your tire is the right temp it should push the front tire even when your leaning over it. A cold tire will just spin trust me. I put one foot on the peg and brace myself as far forward as possible. In first and second your front end is going to want to lift so you have to be easy on the gas. On my best lauches my front tire would float just a bit but you can use it as an indicator for more or less throttle. The front will lift when you let out the clutch in 3rd but is easily controlled. From there you'd better tuck in and shift at about 9.8k and hope the faster bikes don't catch you.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Squid

grampi
Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
that calculator is right. you will run mid 8's with a good setup and be at about 158mph. it assumes a perfect run basically though. it typically is a better indicator of what a bike is capable of if setup perfectly for drag racing. street bikes that are stock aren't designed for drag racing. for drag racing you'd want it to be slammed, extended swing arm, anything to keep the front down and to be able to use all your power
If that calculator is right, then how do you explain the ZX-14 running low 9's @ 178 MPH? Are you saying the people who tested it are lying?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Superstock

The calculator is pretty accurate for most vehicles but you have to undersand the fast bikes get crappy launches cause they can't keep the front end down. The result is a high trap speed because once the bike gets going it rips but it wastes a bunch of time at the start trying to get going. 178 does seem pretty high though. Is this the Gadson test where the bike was piped,re-geared, and strapped?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Squid

grampi
The calculator is pretty accurate for most vehicles but you have to undersand the fast bikes get crappy launches cause they can't keep the front end down. The result is a high trap speed because once the bike gets going it rips but it wastes a bunch of time at the start trying to get going. 178 does seem pretty high though. Is this the Gadson test where the bike was piped,re-geared, and strapped?
Yes, I believe it was.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Superstock

I checked and the fastest recorded ZX-14R times are:

Stock 9.92@145
With a pipe, front tied down and a ignitor box 9.17@153

These are with Gadson who is pretty much the best. Where did you find 178? It would make sense if thats what was indicated on the speedo.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Squid

Pdaddy
Off topic, but that zx-14 is an ugly sum beotch... I just went and got some oil from the bike shop at lunch and man... hideous. But 200HP stock is almost enough to make up for it !

Anyone try a second gear launch ?? I used to do this on dirt bikes and quads, dont know if it would be a good or bad on a street bike.
Ive never really practiced or took time to get a dead stop launch down on a sport bike. ALl my previous bikes (600 & 750 Ninjas and 1 600 Gixxer) would just light the tire off in first if you tried to launch it hard...
Old 05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Superstock

In MX I'd start in second too but I doubt its a good idea here. If we ever race eachother your welcome to try it though haha. If you get your tire to the right temp you shouldn't be spinning. With me I would just have to contend with the front coming up.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by grampi
If that calculator is right, then how do you explain the ZX-14 running low 9's @ 178 MPH? Are you saying the people who tested it are lying?

no. that calculator assumes near perfect launch. problem is likely they had to keep off of it in 1st and 2nd and then 3rd and up they went WOT. if you've done any drag racing you'd understand that the trap is only part of it. Kind've assumes a real linear acceleration too. Supras very often will run 12-13 second quarter miles at 130+mph. reason is they are all top end and can't launch. Essentially are highway assasins because that's the only place they'll ever win
Old 05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Squid

Pdaddy
In MX I'd start in second too but I doubt its a good idea here. If we ever race eachother your welcome to try it though haha. If you get your tire to the right temp you shouldn't be spinning. With me I would just have to contend with the front coming up.
Are you saying you think it would stall or what? If you lived near me, trust me we'd go burn our clutches out after work...HAHAHA
I love learning new techniques. Im going to have to launch mine now and see, youve raised my curiousity.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Pdaddy
Are you saying you think it would stall or what? If you lived near me, trust me we'd go burn our clutches out after work...HAHAHA
I love learning new techniques. Im going to have to launch mine now and see, youve raised my curiousity.
Second gear starts usually only work where there is alot of wheel spin. I'd say you'd be slipping the clutch and bogging out. Four wheelers are geared for about 90mph or less so if you think about it our hawks first gear is more like a four wheelers 2nd gear anyway.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Squid

Pdaddy
I could defanietly see stock gearing being a deal killer for a second gear launch...

Guess Ill have to start practicing stop light launches until I get a chance to hit the strip
Old 05-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Pdaddy
I could defanietly see stock gearing being a deal killer for a second gear launch...

Guess Ill have to start practicing stop light launches until I get a chance to hit the strip
Ha ha
Watch out for cops!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Squid

grampi
I checked and the fastest recorded ZX-14R times are:

Stock 9.92@145
With a pipe, front tied down and a ignitor box 9.17@153

These are with Gadson who is pretty much the best. Where did you find 178? It would make sense if thats what was indicated on the speedo.
The 178 could've been what was indicating on the speedo. That would make sense.