General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: Would you consider a Donation to the SuperHawk Forum Site
Great Idea, I would occasionally send a Small PayPal payment, create a method please (no obligation)
63.41%
Great Site, Not interested in Donation to site, Keep up the good work
9.76%
Wish i could, money is tight, got to buy more bling bling for my ride
9.76%
No, Let the Advertisers pay for it all
17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Donation Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Donation Poll

OK, i know all of you are like me and look forward to your daily SuperHawk Forum fix. Not ever running a Forum, i have no idea how much work it must be behind the scenes to keep this GREAT site running.

That being said, another one of my favorite sites started a Donation thread and Forum members could donate or not a small amount via PayPal to the site owner to help with expenses and such and improvements.

So here goes and i hope i create this post/poll correctly the first time!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Two things.

1. Who is the actual owner?

2. How much revenue is already created by the ads?

Not to be a party pooper, just wondering.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
Two things.

1. Who is the actual owner?

2. How much revenue is already created by the ads?

Not to be a party pooper, just wondering.
I'll go a step further....

3. What the costs to run the site?
4. DId the owner starting this as a hobby or a business?

I'm all for keeping the site going, but all the sudden I'm seeing a Baseball team owner situation... build me a stadium so my business can entertain you..
Old 05-11-2007, 03:16 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I would suggest that until said time when owner, et al needs your input, donations, concerns for his financial welfare that it may be best to leave well enough alone.

Several possible scenarios could exit for people to own a site like this one. But know this, most do it badly and our guys have their **** together. VFR site is constantly crashing and storage space is a premium. Guys trying to sell bikes/parts/etc have their ads go poof and/or no space for pictures. OzFirestorm has their share of financial problems - and a nice bunch of blokes that don't deserve it but believe me it's all about how the site is run. UKFirestorm.org is pretty stable but much more inactive than our site.

Where the hell else can you go and look at a 150 new posts in one day about the Honda Superhawk? Or any other fugging bike for that matter? No place on the internet!

This is a special bike that attracts special people and we have a special place to share our ethusiasm. We undoubtedly have special people that make all of this possible and if they wanted us to know more they have the opportunity to be here every night.

Maybe they just enjoy watching us! But profit from us? Ha! Who ever profited from a Superhawk? Honda couldn't even pull that one off!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
I would suggest that until said time when owner, et al needs your input, donations, concerns for his financial welfare that it may be best to leave well enough alone.

Several possible scenarios could exit for people to own a site like this one. But know this, most do it badly and our guys have their **** together. VFR site is constantly crashing and storage space is a premium. Guys trying to sell bikes/parts/etc have their ads go poof and/or no space for pictures. OzFirestorm has their share of financial problems - and a nice bunch of blokes that don't deserve it but believe me it's all about how the site is run. UKFirestorm.org is pretty stable but much more inactive than our site.

Where the hell else can you go and look at a 150 new posts in one day about the Honda Superhawk? Or any other fugging bike for that matter? No place on the internet!

This is a special bike that attracts special people and we have a special place to share our ethusiasm. We undoubtedly have special people that make all of this possible and if they wanted us to know more they have the opportunity to be here every night.

Maybe they just enjoy watching us! But profit from us? Ha! Who ever profited from a Superhawk? Honda couldn't even pull that one off!
+1 Well said Nuhawk !
Old 05-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The site pays for itself. [certain content edited out on advice from member] If you're wise then you can figure out how.

The owner's name is Ralph. Ralph what? I dunno. I have his email and telephone number but for some reason I never learned his last name. Intentional? Maybe. Doesn't matter either way. He has several websites, but I don't know which ones.

Jim Rowley, owner of M.A.P. (in the classifieds) at one point offered up a "sponsorship" to the site but Ralph essentially denied any additional income for it. Kinda strange in a way, but I don't think any of us are complaining. I'm just the Admin, not the owner, so I'm more of a caretaker than a landlord.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
I don't think a little donation is too much to ask for. Since I belong to this forum's member and w/all knowledge that i have learned, infos, advices which i had input just save me so much of time, money (what i dont have) to do it myself and i love it. Thanks, this forum and members of it you all ROCK.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The site pays for itself. [certain content edited out on advice from member] If you're wise then you can figure out how.

The owner's name is Ralph. Ralph what? I dunno. I have his email and telephone number but for some reason I never learned his last name. Intentional? Maybe. Doesn't matter either way. He has several websites, but I don't know which ones.
It's a business. This site only averages 1,320 US visitors per month, and there are over 25 more on the same server. So it stands to reason this person probably has many small websites and generates a small amount of revenue from each one. Any outside funding would complicate things greatly.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Well how bout a big hearty Thank you to Ralph!!! You da man!!! and I agree, if Ralph ever needed any additional fundage to say keep the site up and going, I don't think he would have any problems getting it from the guys/gals on here...

Best site I have ever been a part of, and def best motorcycle site out there!!
Old 05-13-2007, 03:08 PM
MotoGP

As long as you all are in such a generous mood (jk) maybe we should think about doing something for ourselves. What if we started a "rider's down" fund that would help people out when things go wrong.

I remember right after I joined the party one of the members went down - bad crash - lots of leg damage and this poor mf begging from his hospital bed for somebody to buy his bike and get it out of impound. It took a couple days but a member did step up and save (what was left of) the bike.

We could really help folks out. It's just and idea and I am no administrator when it comes to stuff like this so I don't know how we could do it. But it should be possible to set up an interest bearing, donation supported fund that could be available when the need arises.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
As long as you all are in such a generous mood (jk) maybe we should think about doing something for ourselves. What if we started a "rider's down" fund that would help people out when things go wrong.

I remember right after I joined the party one of the members went down - bad crash - lots of leg damage and this poor mf begging from his hospital bed for somebody to buy his bike and get it out of impound. It took a couple days but a member did step up and save (what was left of) the bike.

We could really help folks out. It's just and idea and I am no administrator when it comes to stuff like this so I don't know how we could do it. But it should be possible to set up an interest bearing, donation supported fund that could be available when the need arises.
Yeah, but make is so that people would have to pay if they did something, like back when we were young, and one person in the group cursed they had to put a quarter in the jar, then at the end of the month we would all use the money and buy pizza or something....
Not exactly like that, but we could come up with something...
LOL
Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
I have several sites with google adsense and make decent money off the site, and I am sure the owner of this forum does fine, or it wouldn't be here.
I think donations for sites was more popular in the beginning stages of the internet, but not necessary now.
If he wanted to generate some more revenue, then maybe superhawkforum tshirts could/would be cool, if they were designed correctly.
It doesn't cost much and there is hardly any work involved keeping a forum up, so I am positive he more than breaks even with this project.
We shouldn't be expected to do more than share our thoughts and ideas on here, we are the content. Also, sharing links with other sh owners is enough of a donation, as it generates more traffic to the site.

Well, That's my $.02 on it.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
Yeah, but make is so that people would have to pay if they did something, like back when we were young, and one person in the group cursed they had to put a quarter in the jar, then at the end of the month we would all use the money and buy pizza or something....
Not exactly like that, but we could come up with something...
LOL
I know I'm new around here... but man you set yer self up for this one...

A quarter in the jar for postwhoring?!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
MotoGP

I think this is excellent! As long as Ralph has his beanpot intact we should be free to make one of our own. A service to other riders, non-profit, forum-supported only by donations of the members. I mean, really - why can't we sell tshirts to each other??? We sell parts of everything else to each other and feel like saints when we do it! Hell, yeah! This is good!

Originally Posted by xecutech
I have several sites with google adsense and make decent money off the site, and I am sure the owner of this forum does fine, or it wouldn't be here.
I think donations for sites was more popular in the beginning stages of the internet, but not necessary now.
If he wanted to generate some more revenue, then maybe superhawkforum tshirts could/would be cool, if they were designed correctly.
It doesn't cost much and there is hardly any work involved keeping a forum up, so I am positive he more than breaks even with this project.
We shouldn't be expected to do more than share our thoughts and ideas on here, we are the content. Also, sharing links with other sh owners is enough of a donation, as it generates more traffic to the site.

Well, That's my $.02 on it.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I was thinking of doing a round of tees, a special batch just for the SHOG Rally attendees and a batch for the rest. I have an old one from the days of RLZ. I'll see if I can dig up the design. I think Betty Boop was on it. We'll see what I can find.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
man all the stuff i never thought of. this site has been a blessing for me. simply amazing!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I was thinking of doing a round of tees, a special batch just for the SHOG Rally attendees and a batch for the rest. I have an old one from the days of RLZ. I'll see if I can dig up the design. I think Betty Boop was on it. We'll see what I can find.

Well i still have my "Hey Baby you" **** shirt

SuperHawkActivistGroup Shirt
Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yup, that's the one. I still have mine.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Administrator
World Champion

See new thread on T-shirts