General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dave Moss Suspension class in east coast/mid atlantic - Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Dave Moss Suspension class in east coast/mid atlantic - Feeler

Dave is going national this year and I talked with him this past weekend about the classes he offers out west, and he is willing to come out to the east coast/mid atlantic to put one on as long as there is enough interest. I honestly don't have many details but it would be in conjunction with a track day. Involves track side tuning all day, including experiments to be able to feel the difference adjustments make (put the compression all the way in, ride for 2 laps, take it all out, 2 more laps...). Dave would also bring a box of goodies and parts to take apart and learn what exactly happens inside, as well as classroom session throughout the day.

Would anyone be interested?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM
New to the Hawk!
Squid

bahndrvr is on a distinguished road
I would - but depends on the price, track day are alreayd expensive and I will have new tires by then. I'm seriously considering my pro license down here with the local CCS contingent as they are on my butt, I wouldn't be very competitive but would use it for the discounts, the track time, and the camradarie
Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Dave is a good guy and you would learn a lot for one of his classes....
Old 02-18-2012, 07:27 AM
SuperSport

Got a reply from Dave. The class would be somewhere around $200 (not including track fees).

Program:

Riders meeting 8.30 :
- flags and track procedure

Move to classroom
- structure of the class re timing
- booklet completion review

8.50am
fork preload - component review Forks stripped and components in hand
on track: 2 warm up laps and stop every other lap to make 4 suspension adjustments from zero to max (10 laps). Pick and set best setting.
in class: write notes for 5 minutes, then 5-10 minute debrief

Fork compression (same process of component analysis, on track tuning and debrief)

Fork rebound next, then lunch

Afternoon is shock compression and shock rebound, free ride to review total bike and lastly end of day close out meeting.

Feel The Track! Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning
Sportbike Suspension School T Hill - YouTube
Sportbike Suspension School Student Phil Price - YouTube

Riders must be close in overall pace/lap times to keep the group laps about the same for timing with on track sessions. There's a full booklet to complete before the event that takes a good hour to review and write down all settings and tools needed.

All bikes must have fork preload, compression and rebound, and shock compression and rebound. Shock preload takes too long.
Sounds like a very busy and comprehensive day.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Two hundred bucks and you don't even get rear spring preload because "it takes too long"? Wow, I need to stop what I'm doing and start giving these basic classes at track days!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM
SuperSport

Seems like a pretty derogatory statement to make, hope you didn't mean it like that. If you think you can offer something better then write up a curriculum and lets talk.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
15 years ago when I got started I did so on the premise that suspension tuners were charging way too much for their services. I think this is a clear case here. All of the trackside "tuners" I've seen just fiddle with the external adjustments. While there is some value in doing that it certainly does not justify $200. You aren't really "doing" anything. I guess that I found humor in the statement that the rear shock preload is too difficult so they won't bother. How could you possibly setup a person's bike without setting that? It's one of the first steps. Frankly, it doesn't sound too hard to me.

Trackside tuning is very basic and should warrant a basic pricetag - IMHO.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
15 years ago when I got started I did so on the premise that suspension tuners were charging way too much for their services. I think this is a clear case here. All of the trackside "tuners" I've seen just fiddle with the external adjustments. While there is some value in doing that it certainly does not justify $200. You aren't really "doing" anything. I guess that I found humor in the statement that the rear shock preload is too difficult so they won't bother. How could you possibly setup a person's bike without setting that? It's one of the first steps. Frankly, it doesn't sound too hard to me.

Trackside tuning is very basic and should warrant a basic pricetag - IMHO.
I couldn't agree more!