General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Coast to coast trip prep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
Coast to coast trip prep?

I am going to be taking a trip from Florida to California in a few weeks. What kind of prep work should I do before I leave? Just about three weeks ago I changed out all fluids(brake, oil, clutch, radiator). My SH has 7K on it.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Check the charging system before you go.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Thanks for reminding me about that. I've actually been meaning to check that as I'm still running the stock R/R. That will go on the top of my checklist. I'd hate to get stranded in the middle of the U.S. At idle it is 14.5V. Revved up to 3K RPM it drops to 14.2V. That should be within normal operating specs for the time being. Also one of the members mentioned that the grounding route that comes stock isn't optimal. They said that doing a direct ground would be a better solution. I have my R/R with both the stock ground and a direct ground to the battery.

Last edited by tomzxt; 08-13-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
What part of Ca are you going to visit?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Goldwingers travel with a spare alternator in the saddle bags. A spare R/R takes no space.

When I did it (in the heat of summer also) I carried a water jug that I dumped on my shirt while rolling. Instant A/C!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
An aftermarket seat is a must for that many miles in a stint. A new rear tire, preferably of the sport-touring variety would help with mileage, though you'll still probably end up with a rather large flat spot. Don't forget to change the oil when you get back. Give her a good waxing before you go too. It makes the bugs infinitely easier to get off.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

I have one spare stock R/R that I picked up for $10 that I could bring. I just want to make sure that it works first.

Water is a must for any trip. I'm taking my camel back. That thing is a life saver. I also have one of those small fuel canisters that holds about half a gallon since our tanks are so small.

I have a Sargent seat in the mail. I'll need to break it in before I go. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Road 3s which I am happy with. I do mostly straight lines and have yet to see any real wear in the center. 5K miles and still running like they were new. I'm going to get a new set before I leave just to be on the safe side.

Don't know what part of California I'm really going to yet. The trip is me going from Tampa, Florida to Iuka, Mississippi to Kenner, Louisiana to El Paso, Texas to Rio Rancho, New Mexico to Las Vegas, Nevada to somewhere on the coast of California just to say I went coast to coast. The fastest way to the beach looks like 15 to L.A. area. The trip is mostly to see my Grandparents and cousin on the west coast while saying hi to some friends along the way.

Again thanks for your tips so far.

Last edited by tomzxt; 08-13-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Rain gear. padded bike shorts....may seem weird, but comfy! Small tool kit with a pump and patch kit. Cell phone!!

Have a safe trip. Take pics!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fish
padded bike shorts....may seem weird, but comfy!
Never thought of that one... that seems like a very cool thing to try.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Never thought of that one... that seems like a very cool thing to try.
+1 I'll have to get a pair of those. Any extra padding helps.

2 piece AGV Sport rain suit is already packed as well as my camera and cell phone. I need the cell phone to be on Facebook 24/7. I addicted to that site lol. My tool kit is the stock kit with a lot of add ons. I have a patch kit in there with some CO2 cartridges. A friend of mine told me that secret a few years back. Smaller, lighter, and faster than a pump.

Last edited by tomzxt; 08-14-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
True on the CO2.....but.....a small bike hand pump has as much air as you need, CO2's run out Just a thought.

Fish
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a fun trip -- I'm envious!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
"Mastercard, don't leave home without it."
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Relieve the friction of monkey butt and painful butt rash, when you ride, sweat and sit. Anti Monkey Butt PowderMaybe some of this.This along with cycling shorts works wonders for me.A can of chain lube and zip lock bags for the stuff that you want to keep absolutely dry.Ear plugs to save your hearing and eye drops to moisturized your eyes.Keep in touch on the board.If you need help,there may be someone close by on the forum to lend assistance.Take lots of Pics to remember your trip.If you don't have it,put a towing ryder on you insurance policy.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Squid

IAGeezer is on a distinguished road
Maybe I CAN contribute to this forum! LDComfort shorts beat bicycle shorts hands(pants?) down. I wear them under the 'Stich with a T shirt, and just dump a bottles worth of water every fuel up(in the heat). Vents open half way=cheap a/c and protection! LDComfort - Getting to the Bottom of Rider Comfort - Motorcycle Underwear

Also recommend you keep 2 small water bottles and some jerky/nuts in your tank bag, just in case. VFR-type bars for comfort, and Elkskin Roper gloves from Aerostich. Aerostich Elkskin Roper Gloves :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Don't wear Gore-Tex lined boots, your feet will burn up. Have a great trip!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
IBPROFIN
Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
A Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth transceiver paired with the MP3 player in your smartphone and a GPS device (or phone app) may be good road companions. Might as well rig up a couple of cig lighter adapters to charge up the hardware too.

Do an internet search of good diners along your route.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
Take an extra R/R. Hey I am in tampa too. Are you on tampasportbikes.com?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

I'm going to have to check into that Monkey Butt stuff and the Roper Gloves. I like that the gloves have a built in squeegee. I have one that just clips on to your finger like a toy ring.

I'll probably put a few IBProfins in there just in case. Luckily I never get headaches, just on the rare occasion.

I have one 12V power point already installed in the tail with a switch. That will power my cell phone that has my GPS on it. I'm using my Chatterbox with it. Have you tried both the Sena and Chatterbox? If you have which did you like better?

The extra R/R is on the checklist. I tried it out yesterday and it worked. So in the bag it goes. I think I signed up for TSB once to view a link from here. Just never go on it. Saige mentioned you a few times. I am signed up to watch your blogs on youtube and occasionally pop in to your site.

These are really great tips. Thanks guys and keep them coming. If you have any suggestions on gel grips I could use a set of those. With a heater is preferred.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Squid

racer187x is on a distinguished road
Both clear and tinted visors for your helmet. Air pressure gauge. Check/grease wheel bearings. Lube chain. Spare masterlink for chain (clip type). A roll of duct tape and some safety wire or zipties.

Everyone else has pretty much covered it. Have a great time! You'll enjoy it, take lots of pictures and tell us how it's going along the way!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
tomzxt, I have not tried the Chatterbox communicator. I do have the Sena (newest version with the mini USB connector), and I am very happy with it. It prioritizes its functions in a very logical manner (mobil phone calls have priority over MP3 player, etc.), the noise cancelling is very good, and the volume can be adjusted to adequate levels even when you're wearing foam ear plugs.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You want a BIG tank bag filled with jeans & stuff to lean forward on, if you dont have a vista cruise you'll need it to relax your hand. Carry a small spay bottle and microfiber in a ziplock to clean the visor. RainX the visor. Tire plugs. Good luggage or a givi setup. What are you running for luggage?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tormoz
Sounds like a fun trip -- I'm envious!
+1 on that!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Well, here is my list of things that I do:
mesh shorts
textile riding pants (I run solid not mesh)
This combo allows for gliding. I do not wear underwear unless it is a mesh/poly.

Tint and clear visors, heavily waxed (same as rainex) AND sunglasses, I double on the tint when headed west

Full jacket, no mesh- the importance of body strain cannot be undervalued.

Ear plugs-a must, and they make the speakers EASIER to hear.

Camelback in the tankbag, heavily insulated with clothes to lean on. Start with a lot of ice and top off with fresh water/gatorade as your days go on

Cruise control, is a must

Seat- I am preferential to the stock seat (had a corbin briefly, did not like). I have done 2700 miles in 5 days and not suffered

Lube for chain, lube everyday (i was doing 600-900 miles/day)

Wax your headlight generously, bug removal easier

As for fuel stops... They need to be as short as possible. All stops do. What will occur if you dont is sweat, and sweat will kill your ride. You have to keep moving. I was doing 7 minutes a stop for fuel (from 80mph back to 80mph) on my 900mile day, and it was awesome. Two stops for food and gas that took 15minutes.

Good luck, and dont waste too much time sending updates, just tell us when its done.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
And, this will seem weird, but this is the best underwear that I have had for situations that require breathing/anti sweat. Sorry if this seems weird:

Jockey go mesh boxer brief - 2 pack 8416 at Jockey.com Men's GO Stretch
Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I wear ex-officio or ru outside. But yeah they gotta be polyester wicking to stay comfortable. You can hand wash them and they will be dry by morning which saves luggage space.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
All good ideas. I will be doing my annual trip into Oregon and Norcal in a few weeks on the Hawk and this gets my juices flowing.

A few thoughts...
Take a 600-800mg dose of Ibuprofen each morning BEFORE you ride. The idea is to prophylactically dose yourself to prevent inflammation, and therefore pain associated with the riding position. You'll be far less sore than if you are waiting to take it UNTIL you hurt.

As far as grips, heated are fine but they waste and therefore consume a lot of power heating the bars, and therefore the forklegs etc, instead of putting that heat into your hand. Heated gloves are far more efficient, and paired with a good heated vest or jacket liner, can take a lot of the sting out of high elevation and night riding when the temps dip. It's tempting to thing that you'll be too hot the entire way, but I always plan for being too cold, knowing that I can turn the jacket and gloves off or shed layers. Good gear of great quality and pretty reasonable price can be had at Gerbing.com, though there are others as well.

Have fun, enjoy the ride!
-R
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
sunscreen, visene and chap stick
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Definitely a tank bag to lean on. I could almost fall asleep leaning on mine it's so comfortable. And it gets you out of the wind and takes the pressure off your wrists.

I also used an airhawk seat cushion. They work great with a stock seat.

I like to bring a small thing of WD40. And my bike will burn a little oil, so don't forget to check the level every once in a while. I had to put car oil in it at a gas station once during a long trip.

Bring a little windex for the visor and front of the bike (bugs).

Make sure you have extra fuses, including the main fuse.

If you have an extra R/R, bring it.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Ride Safe. Just about everything covered by previous posting members. Bike,
electronics, fluids etc. Just thought I might suggest bringing along some maps
highlighted with proposed routes with a good compass. Never know what might
happen. GPS/Phone/ anything power oriented has to have power to work. A
small good flashlight/matches along with a map and compass may be a thought.
Be Prepared, just hope "Murphy" doesn't visit you as much as he does me.
Ride Well, Have Fun and keep in touch with the Forum.

Quick Reply: Coast to coast trip prep?