General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Carb / Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Squid

Rockysv is on a distinguished road
Carb / Gearing

Is the stock jetting lean ? would i get my SH to run a bit better at low RPM's if i richen up one size?

Has anyone lowered the gearing and how do you like it - i think some of my problem is it's geared too high - and since this bike is not going to be on the highway much - i was thinking of going up 3 teeth on the rear.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Yes Rocky I would say many think the stock gearing is too tall. There are many threads that discuss/argue the virtues of different gearing, but for the most part many members would say that up three on the rear would be fine. Some will suggest dropping one on the front (15/43) as well. I have run it stock (16/41), 15/43 up until a week ago, when I threw on a 16 tooth I had here just to see if I can see a huge different. I know I love 15/43 around town, but am about to leave on a weeklong road trip and could use the extra mileage that 16/43 might provide if nothing else. I'll have a better feeling for 16/43 overall after I get back.

As far as jetting, yes, Honda typically set them up a bit on the lean side for emissions sake. Jetting is dictated mostly by where you live and what you have done to the bike (pipes, air filter, etc.) Lots of threads out there on that too... Do a little poking around with the search function and tell us how your bike is set up.
-R
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
i don't do highways, interstates, or any straight roads if there's another way. I'm running 520 chain 15/44 and I would not change it unless i was going on a long trip where i would be on straight roads.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Squid

Thanks guts
my bike is all stock and i'm about 1200 feet above sea level --

Search ---hmmm --well for some reason i'm getting a prompt that says --This ticket has run out ?

i have no idea what it means but the search function does not work for me,

seeing that most things are covered --why post ?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Seeing as both these topics were just covered some of us really don't feel the need to go through it all again quite so soon. Here are to threads that cover gearing and carb tuning. I won't make you feel bad and tell you how easy it was to find them with a quick search......

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23525

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23622
Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Seeing as both these topics were just covered some of us really don't feel the need to go through it all again quite so soon. Here are to threads that cover gearing and carb tuning. I won't make you feel bad and tell you how easy it was to find them with a quick search......

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23525

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23622
OMFG, there was a lengthy discussion that i missed, some being of the OCMD type for sure, but interesting no less. Ended rather unfriendly with Pissed-Off campers gettin nasty.

I just realized that my gearing choice of 15/44 was a dead giveaway for my emotional instability. Thanks RK for saving me money for pcychiatric services. Now that I saved all that money, i can use more to self-medicate........ Anyway, I'm changin back tomorrow in an attempt to disguise this infirmity and possibly gain back what little respect i thought I might have had previously
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Squid

if you read my post you would see that for some reason i'm not able to get in to the search

that said if some of you don't feel the need to go through this so soon - why post at all -- just skip over it and tell your self --i'm too good to help this poor sap out -- some one will step up and help --

if your answer to everything is - why not do a search--well there is no need for anyone to post here or anywhere else -- just google your questions-
sorry to have put you out , and waste everyones time
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well then I guess next time I won't even bother to help you out......

As for why reply at all, well up to this point I was trying to help you out. As you have now shown that you are just another cocky noob, I won't make that mistake again.

As for not being able to do a search, how hard is it??? Hit the button that says "search" type in gearing and you get this:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=648266
12 pages of answers to that search.
and jetting:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=648270
another 13 pages of info

Why it doesn't work for you, who the hell knows. All I did was try to tell you why you might not get a ton of replies from your post. It is a question that has been gone through many times.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
WHAT'S THE BEST OIL FOR MY SUPERDUPERCHICKEN!?

lol
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Were there different cam grinds in varying years?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Squid

I will not miss anyone trying to help me out --saying do a search-- that is not help--

help is when some one has the ability to assist someone else --

you do - then try to make the person feel less than you -- Ok--
if it makes you feel big to make others small --Ok

i'm new and admit i know nothing about these bikes- i have a few problems - and i don't even know if they are problems -- so i ask

i have no idea why i get a prompt saying - this ticket has timed out--
when i hit search - i have never seen it anywhere else - i have a Mac -- ??

but a bunch of you guys have been very helpful--

and at the risk of getting slammed again about doing a search

(can i get the 15 / 43 sprockets at my Honda dealer--

yes i know i should call them----sorry
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I would try Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket. Indy Superbikes have the cheapest I have found.

Last edited by RWhisen; 09-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
WHAT'S THE BEST OIL FOR MY SUPERDUPERCHICKEN!?

lol
If you weren't so freakin lazy, you'd do a search. I'll help you this time since you only have 1700 posts, just search.......... "freakin lazy" and you'll find that the very best oil for SUPERDUPERCHICKEN is virgin olive.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Rockysv
Thanks guts
my bike is all stock and i'm about 1200 feet above sea level --

Search ---hmmm --well for some reason i'm getting a prompt that says --This ticket has run out ?

i have no idea what it means but the search function does not work for me,

seeing that most things are covered --why post ?
hey rocky, welcome to the forum. "Please forgive us for we know not what we do".................... because we're gettin old fast or maybe just losin it. I don't know why your ticket has run out but if you submit this question under "Forum Feedback", someone may be able to help you.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
If you weren't so freakin lazy, you'd do a search. I'll help you this time since you only have 1700 posts, just search.......... "freakin lazy" and you'll find that the very best oil for SUPERDUPERCHICKEN is virgin olive.
Boy...are you a cheap ***, nath. I use extra virgin olive oil.

Before digging into my carbs after getting my slip-ons, I did a search of several threads and found the info I chose to follow. Opinions are like ******** around here, everybody's got one. But with a little existing knowledge and filtering, this forum is extremely helpful. However, if you pop back with an attitude, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Squid

RW-- Nath
Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Boy...are you a cheap ***, nath. I use extra virgin olive oil..
It ain't about being cheap. Extra virgins are too young you pervert.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I will not miss anyone trying to help me out --saying do a search-- that is not help--

i'm new and admit i know nothing about these bikes- i have a few problems - and i don't even know if they are problems -- so i ask

Well... You are trying to use search in the small window on the front page... ie type text in a field already there and then hit search... For whatever reason that seems to not work for numerous people... Hit the link top right corner saying search, and you get a working search window...

Having said that, and "actually helping you" per your defenition, I'm going to mostly leave you to your own devices... I prefer staying in the corner watching... Mostly because my gut reaction to the response you gave 8541hawk is saying somehting rather rude... And I have kind of had my fill with arguing online for a while with others...

The reasons for this is simple... He wasn't rude to you, albeit not overtly polite, decidedly not rude... I interpret your tone in the posts as borderline rude... You might have a different opinion than he has, fine... State that in a polite way, and he and most other will just shrug their shoulders and agree to diagree... Just be aware that around here the humour are about ankle high and sometimes a bit coarse... Take a few goodnatured hits and give the same back without malice and you will fit right in... Get upset for the little stuff and you will spend a lot of time being upset...

But your post about him not helping you... Eeep... wrong... Dead wrong...

He did what I belive to be is the best medium when a newcomer to the forum exibits "standard newbie behaviour B"... ie post the exact same question that have been covered X times before, without spending Y seconds to check if it's already a well covered topic with easy to find information... He posted the links to the information... (with a friendly but perhaps misunderstood half joke half poke in the ribs about searching)

The smart move on your behalf then would be to spend a few minutes browsing that... And either find what you needed and since you disagreed with his opinion said nothing... Or browse, not find the info and do afollow up question with a small hint that you actually tried reading... At which point most uf us gladly help as it brings the old discussion forward, not restarts it for every third newcomer...

But if your idea of us helping is to feed you all the info you need, on your terms? Then my advice, is go look elsewhere... There are forums for paying members staffed with people to answer questions on those premises... I doubt they have the collected knowledge of this forum though, but you might get a more agreeable tone in the reply...

If you want to be taken seriously and get intelligent replies around here? Do some of the legwork yourself and ask an intelligent follow up question, something new that hasn't been covered over and over, and you get ten guys tripping over each other to help you figure it out...

That's just how it works around here... The advice is free to get, and free to ignore... Not me helping in any way... God forbid...

Last edited by Tweety; 09-08-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

Oh... I forgot... No you can't get "OEM" sprockets 15 / 43 from the Honda dealer, as they only get the stock size... You can get your choice of aftermarket in those though, and your dealer should have a few of those to order for you... I'd avoid alu sprockets as the lifetime is pretty short... Even more so with a big twin than with some other bikes...

Like RWhisen suggested supersprox is a good compromise between alu and steel...