Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Question on Speedo-healers and gearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Question on Speedo-healers and gearing

So I have done some searching, and read a lot of threads regarding gearing on our SH, and after 4 days of riding her, I am ready to step it down. This is primarily my commuter, fun in the twisties, bike, not a freeway mile burner. However that doesn't mean that I won't spend time on the freeway with it. I also know that I could run that thing at 7k all day long on the freeway and it won't hurt it a bit, but it would drive me nuts. SOOOoo....

My question is:
Who here has a speedo healer, AND is running 15/43 gearing? For those of your that are, what revs are you turning at, say, 85 indicated. With stock gearing, I am turning about 4600 @ 85 indicated. I ask those of you with speedo healers, because telling me what it indicates without speedo correction, doesn't help me as much.

I'm looking to be able to power it up with ease in second, and believe 15-43 will get me there. But I'd like to be in the low 5k range at an actual 85mph. Its a jump from 2.56:1 to 2.87:1 so I think I should be close....am I?

Thanks!

-Ross
Old 05-15-2007, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Have a look at the spreadsheet found in the KB section. I am running 15/43 and it generates 25.5 km/h (or very close to 16 mph) for every 1000 rpm in sixth.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Superstock
Superstock

So...then 15/43 will yield about 87 mph @ 5500k or so. Hmmmmm.

I think I can probably live with that. hopefully that won't kill the mileage too badly; though I have a theory that gearing too tall is every bit as bad for fuel mileage as running too high a revs. Extra load= larger throttle inputs. Any mileage calculations with that gearing?

Thanks,
Ross
Old 05-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wyldryce
I'm looking to be able to power it up with ease in second, and believe 15-43 will get me there.
No, it wont.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Superstock
Superstock

I'm not afraid of a little body english And besides, its not terribly far from being able to get up in second, rolling off/on hard in second with the 16/41 on it now. It has to be an improvement.

-R
Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
9% off from the factory so that is 85mph*.91*((15/43)/(16/41))="you do the math".
Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
9% off from the factory so that is 85mph*.91*((15/43)/(16/41))="you do the math".
So roughly 69mph for 85 indicated (no speedo healing). Ok cool.
That seems to be pretty poplular gearing around here, with some people saying it'll wheelie like crazy in second, and others saying it won't. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, and I'll find out next week when UPS shows up at my door. I guess it's all relative anyway, as I look forward to something that will lazily loft the front wheel in the air, as opposed to the bandit that just does nothing and then tries to bruise your chest as the needle sweeps through 12psi in any of the first 4 gears.

Thanks for all the advice!

-R
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wyldryce
So roughly 69mph for 85 indicated (no speedo healing). Ok cool.
That seems to be pretty poplular gearing around here, with some people saying it'll wheelie like crazy in second, and others saying it won't. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, and I'll find out next week when UPS shows up at my door. I guess it's all relative anyway, as I look forward to something that will lazily loft the front wheel in the air, as opposed to the bandit that just does nothing and then tries to bruise your chest as the needle sweeps through 12psi in any of the first 4 gears.

Thanks for all the advice!

-R
it will IF you want it to, i can ride mine all day, pretty hard, without lofting the front wheel - but if/when i want to

i personally love it. BUT... i put a steering damper on cause driving out of corners you will be shifting a lot more weight to the rear ( the front gets very light ) when you drive hard off the apex. any pavement irregularities can be a hazard.

tim
Old 05-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
actually at 15/43 the speedo is only around 2% off.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zedicus
actually at 15/43 the speedo is only around 2% off.
sorry no. mine is about 20% off.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 15/43 and like it but 15/41 is a bit more practical. It adds a lot of pep and moves the gears a bit closer. With 15/43 the gears are a bit too close together so you'll be shifting all the time and for drag racing 1st gear is a bit low. As far as wheelies go my bike will lift the front even when shifting hard into 4th. If you get back on a stock SH you will hate it.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i didnt actually figure it up... was just going by the sum of all parts advertising. someone should contact them an set em straight about it making the speedomeeter closer to acurate.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
I think a lot of guys on here have made the swap to 15/43. Honda geared the SH too high from the factory. Personally, I think 15/43 is the gearing that the bike should come with, to start.

As far as whoolies go, and this is only my experience, 15/43 wont allow you to "lazily loft the front wheel". To get mine up in 2nd I have to clutch it, or give it a good bounce/tug as I roll off/on throttle hard. 3rd gear? Fuhgettaboutit. (Of course, I do have some jetting issues that need resolving that may explain why it wont come up as easily as some others purport it does.) Oh, and I'm talking about wheelies here, tire in the sky, riding on one wheel wheelies, not "my front wheel came off the ground 1 inch" ones.

In any event, let us know what you think of the gearing switch - its hard to debate that it makes the bike more fun, if nothing else!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I used the spreadsheet found in the KB to calculate the programming of my Speedhealer and adjusted it by 15.5% with a 15/43 combo. I am not sure where the rest of you got your numbers.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I've got 15/41, Yosh exhaust, stock jetting (for the time being) and filter. I'm no wheelie master, but some of my boys are. My one friend can do a stand-up no-clutch wheelie in 3rd gear, and thought it woulda come up in 4th if he had some more time/road to play with it. My other boy clutches it up in 2nd with no tugging whatsoever.

I let them ride mine sometimes so I can play on their GSXR 1000 and 750 and TL1000R. I'm definitely faster and more comfortable on the Hawk than any of those, though. I love my Hawk.