General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Buying SuperHawk Tomorrow (1-23)!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Buying SuperHawk Tomorrow (1-23)!

After lurking about here for a couple months, I have found the bike that fits the bill and I will be pulling the trigger! '98 with 26k miles, Yosh pipe, Racetech springs up front (sized for same size rider even!), steel braided brake lines, New Dunlop rear tire, new battery, new chain and sprockets, K&N filter, Jetted for pipes and filter, and adult ridden and maintained! I am pretty stoked to legitimize my existance on this board. I am wondering if it would be advisable to take it to a shop to have the cam chain tensioners, valves, and anything else checked over immediately after I get it? Any other advice for me and my new (to me) SHawk?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
If you don't want to do any of the work yourself, then IMO it's worth it for the peace of mind to have a shop take a look.

I also change the brake pads, oil and tires with any new purchase.

Good luck with the purchase!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
+1 Good luck
Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Back Marker

I will definitely change the oil, and get a new front tire. The wiskers on the back tire indicate that it is brand new. I have not looked through the service manual to see how difficult it is to inspect the CCT or the valve adjustments. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I am not afraid to do it, but I am not sure if it takes a special eye to notice deficiencies in the CCT. Are there indications when it is starting to go bad, or am I being overly paranoid?

IIRC the pads are fairly new as well. As I said this bike is in very nice condition. The owner is selling because he can't divide his time and money between his newer VFR and the VTR. He is definitely an enthusiast and has respect for motorcycles. A perfect seller IMHO.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Not so much a special eye, but a special ear to identify the problem. If there's no clackety clack or tick tick tick then the CCTs are probably okay. Mine rattled the chain when the bike got real hot, and that was with OEM replacements. So I replaced with APEs and never had another problem. Do a seach on the forum. There's a WEALTH of information on the subject. The search will not work for 3-letter words, so search for something other than "CCT".
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Back Marker

I got it, and I am excited! It is all that I expected and more. My only previous experience with a V2 was a Aprilia Mille, which was much more difficult to ride and far more uncomfortable. I am glad the SHawk has the grunt, that it has; and I am satisfied with the ergonomics (sporty but not race-y). I am stoked on my purchase.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Cool....now post some dadgum pics man...
Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
a wise choice you have made jedi. avoid the dark side you did.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Back Marker

ohh yeah, forgot! Coming right up
Old 01-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Back Marker

My new Hawk

I don't know about bras, I've never like them, but I don't know what is underneath.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by fundgh
I don't know about bras, I've never like them, but I don't know what is underneath.
Hmmm...well, if it's LA, it's probably plastic underneath the bras.

Bike looks good!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Bike is looking sharp! If you want to get rid of that bra, Ill take it off of your hands. The bike I just picked up has quite a few dents in the tank right by the belt buckle area and I figured a bra would cover it nicely.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If he wants to keep it I have one for sale. It's been sitting on the garage shelf for about a year. It's in decent condition. Will sell cheap! Lemme know via PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Back Marker

I took the bra off last night to have a look....uuuhhhhh, well it wasn't what I expected. The guy told me it was clean under there, blah blah blah. It wasn't dented or all scratched up, but there were some interesting adhesive based rectangles. 1 on each side somewhat horizontally stuck on, and one up the spine. They appreared to be clear plastic, but did not readily peel off. I am not sure what to make of them at this point. THe bra is growing on my a little bit. I am not well informed about "stomp pads" or other adhesive tank protectors, but I like the idea to some extent. After putting about 60 miles on it in the last couple of days, I have noticed that my legs and jacket are intimate with tank. My previous motorcycles had very minimal contact; I don't think any part of my body ever touched the RD tank, and the Seca tank was pretty low as well.
I will post more pics as I get them.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Try using Goo Gone! It works wonders on the residue (after you peel off the rectangles...assuming you want to peel them off).
Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Back Marker

I think that peeling them off would be the best. Then I can buff on the tank to remove any light surface scratches/marks, and see how it looks. I could then decide to apply stop pad or not.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Use the Goo Gone between removing the stickers and buffing the tank. And wax the tank, too.

I used Stomp Grip tankpads on my Superhawk. They don't have a specific model for our bikes, but the generic one fits. They worked really well allowing me to use my arms only for steering/throttle inputs and not holding my self up.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fundgh
They appreared to be clear plastic, but did not readily peel off. I am not sure what to make of them at this point.
probably Clearbra, which is used on cars alot, and on the front of the lowers on many of my bikes. Works well, but I've never tried to remove it. I actually think the black tank bra helps to accent the red bike, along with a black hugger. Oh, that's what my bike has

dale
Old 01-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Back Marker

As I said the bra is growing on me. I am fundamentally against them because (IMO) you are putting something ugly on a vehicle to keep it from getting ugly in the future. It has not been an attractive or functional accesory in my past opinion. I have been gripping the tank, and I can feel my jacket (and stomach) resting on the tank, so I know it is doing a job. I will have to look around for examples of other solutions.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
I am just the opposite. I don't mind a bra. Actually ordered one today from Dennis Kirk because I had to use my gift certificate.
As for the sticky pads underneath, use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive.