General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Breather or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Squid

996serrano is on a distinguished road
Breather or not

I have a 98 SH with 34,000 just bought it about a month ago, I have read losts of posts in here and even came across someone saying not to plug the crankcase. Well when I got the bike It had two bolts one on the rear cylinder and one on front cylinder. I have since replaced the bolts with crankcase breathers directly connected to valve cover. its a breather from auto parts store. My question is should I leave it with breather or put bolts back in?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Not exactly sure what bolts/breathers you are talking about.There are breathers in the valve covers that are part of the PAIR system.This is for emissions. Some people just disable them,some remove the system completely.If you look for the sticky "Pair removal" in the knowledge base should tell you all you need to know. I have disabled mine to help stop the "popping" on overun in my aftermarket pipes.There may be a slight performance increase with disabling them,but I can't feel the difference.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Squid

Breather or not

Originally Posted by steve.g
Not exactly sure what bolts/breathers you are talking about.There are breathers in the valve covers that are part of the PAIR system.This is for emissions. Some people just disable them,some remove the system completely.If you look for the sticky "Pair removal" in the knowledge base should tell you all you need to know. I have disabled mine to help stop the "popping" on overun in my aftermarket pipes.There may be a slight performance increase with disabling them,but I can't feel the difference.
My bad this bike has had the pair system removed. I am simply talking about the connection to the valve cover that the pair used to connect to. It was plugged with one bolt on each cylinder. I added a crankcase breather and removed the bolt on the rear and the front cylinder. Is having a crankcase breather ok or should I leave the bolts in so the crankcase doesn't breath?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Squid

Breather or not

This is what i mean.
Attached Thumbnails Breather or not-0208001942.jpg  
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
The pair system can be plugged, but the breather system should not be. If the portion that is plugged of which you speak is connected to the aluminum colored piece that is bolted to the valve covers, play through.
SuperBike

By play through, leave it plugged.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
By play through, leave it plugged.
+1
the pair system pushed outside air into the exhaust so plugging it won't hurt anything. Plugging the crankcase on the other hand. . . ..
Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Squid

Breather or not

Originally Posted by scatterbrained
+1
the pair system pushed outside air into the exhaust so plugging it won't hurt anything. Plugging the crankcase on the other hand. . . ..

So what i did is correct then right? The pic is my front cylinder and I put a breather on the valve there.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996serrano
So what i did is correct then right? The pic is my front cylinder and I put a breather on the valve there.
No. That is what remains of the pair system. You can plug that with no worries. It doesn't need to breathe. It is not part of the crankcase ventilation, which are the larger hoses that go from the crankcase into the airbox.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
The crankcase vents are bigger than the pair hoses, what you put breathers onto are the PAIR reed valve covers, you should plug these and save the breathers for another use.

Plugging breathers will result in gaskets damage, poor mileage, on a V-twin, both cylinders are going down close to each other, the air need to rush out and back in. On an I-4 two up while 2 down, the breather is mostly to get the blow by and oil vapors out.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Squid

Breather or not

Originally Posted by killer5280
No. That is what remains of the pair system. You can plug that with no worries. It doesn't need to breathe. It is not part of the crankcase ventilation, which are the larger hoses that go from the crankcase into the airbox.

Cool Killer thanks. When I got the bike I was like what the heck the crankcase is not breathing. So that is part of the pair system. Cool. I went outside and I see that there are larger hoses going to the underside of air box.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
SuperBike

Just had a stunning idea. On some high performance vehicles they run vacuum pumps on the crankcase. You could run a hose from the breathers to the pair system and build more HP with some low tension rings. Done and done.