General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Brakes not disengaging completely?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Brakes not disengaging completely?

Just went for my first ride after changing out all brake pads to HH front and GG rear. Definately felt some resistance rolling the bike out of the garage.
It felt like the brakes were not releasing the rotors completely and I thought I could feel some pulsing while moving at a constant speed...didn't seem to be a huge deal but wondering if there's something I should check??
Old 12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Did you clean the caliper pistons before you pushed them back in to install the new pads?

In any case it sounds like you need to disassemble the front calipers and clean them.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Also when things are set up properly you should be able to put the bike on a stand and spin the front wheel and get at least 1.5 rotations out of the wheel before it stops.

If it doesn't spin 1.5 turns, then the brakes are dragging and need to be addressed as to what is causing the problem.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Did you clean the caliper pistons before you pushed them back in to install the new pads?

In any case it sounds like you need to disassemble the front calipers and clean them.
No, didn't clean them when I put the new pads on...there goes my pat on the back for getting the pads swapped out quickly!
I'll get cleaning before I take it out again. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
and break them in properly.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
www.motorcyclistonline.com has an article on cleaning brake calipers. It helps if you've got a source of compressed air but it is possible to get out the pistons by pumping the brake lever. The best practice is to disassemble the calipers and inspect and clean the pistons, seals and grooves. Sometimes you can clean the pistons adequately in situ with Simple Green, brake fluid and a tooth brush.
I used to be able to change the brake pads in my Hawk GT without cleaning the pistons because they were protected by boots. I found out that's not the case with the VTR and I was in the same boat you're in.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by comedo
www.motorcyclistonline.com has an article on cleaning brake calipers. It helps if you've got a source of compressed air but it is possible to get out the pistons by pumping the brake lever. The best practice is to disassemble the calipers and inspect and clean the pistons, seals and grooves. Sometimes you can clean the pistons adequately in situ with Simple Green, brake fluid and a tooth brush.
I used to be able to change the brake pads in my Hawk GT without cleaning the pistons because they were protected by boots. I found out that's not the case with the VTR and I was in the same boat you're in.
Thanks for the tip! This will be my project today following a few more cups of coffee....riding weather here today so gotta git er done!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Superstock

Just to follow up: finally got around to taking the calipers apart and cleaning them out. Didn't seem to be a whole lot of junk in there but was apparently enough to gum things up.
For anyone who hasn't done this before - if you use an air compressor to get the pistons out of the caliper per the instructions in the link in this thread - do what it says and face the pistons towards your work surface!!!! I had one zing by my face at a high rate of speed and that jolted me back to reality pretty quick. Thankfully it didn't damage the piston.
Went for a ride after bleeding all the brake lines and clutch and need to re-bleed the rear brake because the pedal still drops too far with pressure...front brakes are great though.

Thanks for the initial diagnosis of the problem!