General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

brake pad opinions and track advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
brake pad opinions and track advice?

i hope this isnt like asking "which tires should i run" or "which oil is the best" but im wondering what pads you run or what you recommend. so many different types, carbon, ceramic, sintered, organic, semi-metallic etc...

So whats the best way to go? im looking for stopping power, not so much longevity. although i dont need full race pads or anything. just something that will preform well in the canyons and provide ample bite for future track days?

also im doing my first track day this sunday at buttonwillow and one thing i wanted to ask was what tire pressure should i run? again i know this is a huge matter of a opinion but im talking ballpark. ive been experimenting buy raising and lowering it a psi or two before canyon rides to see whats comfortable but im not sure about the track. id rather have your opinions as you guys know the bike and what works well. im 150lbs so maybe 170? with all my gear and i just slapped on a set of Q3's for the track.

im thinking of paying to have my suspension setup for the day trackside as its only $40 by dave moss tuning and they adjust and readjust all day. i know a little but not enough to get eveything dialed in for optimum performance.

also welcome is any other advise, stories, sarcasm, and tips for the trackday this sunday
Old 02-15-2014, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Your current caliper set-up will surely have an effect on your pad options. Vesrah RJL work well and are reasonably affordable. The SRJLs are better yet but more expensive. If they offer them for your calipers, I would suggest you give Zcoo pads a go.... incredible power, very easy to modulate...best I have tried so far (and that includes the famous HRC hard bites). The newest EBC (not the run-of-the-mill HH) track pads are getting good reviews too....
Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM
SuperSport

also i read in a thread its bad to have your headlight unplugged because its really hard on our R/R's. is this true? id rather have some tape glue cooked on then a fried R/R...
Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I've done a couple track days. 2001 US spec 26K on bike. I always disconnect all lights. Hasn't bothered the R/R.
I was advised to run 32psi at both ends. Your tires get a lot hotter on the track due to the speed being higher.
Don't look at your speedometer and don't race anyone. Just ride your bike.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vesrah are the way to go on the track - so I'm told. And its always good to get the suspenders dialed in. And with your weight the stock suspension should work fine.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:25 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
Vesrah are the way to go on the track - so I'm told. And its always good to get the suspenders dialed in. And with your weight the stock suspension should work fine.
I have an RC51 front end and and ohlins rear shock
Old 02-16-2014, 06:37 AM
MotoGP

Assuming you have RC calipers, Vesrah RJL are probably the cheapest decent pads you can get...... (work well on the street too, plus they wear well and are not hard on rotors). If you want the best though.... Zcoo.........
Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 AM
SuperSport

I couldn't even find anywhere that sells Zcoo pads. I could only find people talking about them on forums when I searched google
Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 AM
MotoGP

I got mine from a chap named simonkobe on the Speedzilla forum (same chap who sourced my HRC ignition box; very reputable seller and great guy), or you can find them on eBay..... well worth the effort.....

I don't think anyone sells them here in North America, which is a real shame as they are the cat's meow......
Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 AM
MotoGP

Here you go:
Set Completo 2 Coppie Pastiglie Freno Zcoo N004 Honda CBR900 1998 2003 SP1 SP2 | eBay
Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
$$154!!!!!

SkokieVTR told me about a set of pads he uses that he really likes. Maybe he will chime in.

James
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM
MotoGP

The best costs money...... FWIW, they are priced the same as Vesrah SRJLs...... not to mention they will outlast cheaper pads.....

if it's too rich for your blood, try Vesrah RJLs (about half the price) or go to eBay and have your pick among the thousands of cheap pads.....

I like to think my life is worth the extra money, but to each his own....... you could also take up chess, a much less expensive hobby.......
Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

LOL... Stock pads cost $33 per pair, and those work just fine, especially considering the OP said he didn't need full on race pads.

What is the activating temperate of those $150 pads? Are they safer on the street than OEM pads?

Honda places a lot of emphasis on good brakes for one reason - Liability. Are the OEMs the best? No, but they certainly work fine, and magazines consistently rate OEM pads as one of the better values, and in reviews they are often hard to beat.

In all my years of riding I have tried quite a few different pads, and most pads don't work as well as OEM for a good, all around, occasional track day pad.

Now consider you can save $90 by going OEM, that will just about pay for a new tire, or tune up, or fork seals, or a rear shock rebuild....

Money is precious to me (simply because I don't have a lot of it), so I don't typically throw it around on any random thing, without some actual test results, and a weighing of the cost. -In fact, in the grand scheme of things for $154 I could buy new OEM pads, and use the extra money to take my family out to dinner... So, I guess it's all perspective....

Didn't mean to rant, but as Americans there are times when we simply throw a lot of money around on crazy stuff... Myself included.

James
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM
MotoGP

There are many good pads for reasonable money (the Vesrah RJL being a stalwart option according to many, many riders) , but when you want the best, you pay the price. As for the Zcoo pads, they work when cold, in the wet, they are stunningly strong yet have a soft touch and are easy to modulate. I decided to take the plunge after trying other high-end pads and reading that these were in a league of their own. So far, the critics seem to be right. I can truly say they have no weaknesses of any kind (none that I have come across yet anyhow). Expensive, yes, but they are said to last forever and be easy on rotors. I never thought that pads could work this well, now I know they can.

FWIW, I have tried: OEM Honda, EBC HH, Vesrah RJL, Vesrah SRJL, HRC hard bite and Carbone Lorraine CL-60 to date. In terms of value, the RJLs are hard to beat, but for overall performance, I would rank the Zcoo, HRC and SRJL.

Last edited by mikstr; 02-16-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Good review! You've tried a lot of pads!

Any idea of a cost breakdown on all those pads (or at least the ones you recommended)?

James
Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Squid

ChipWheel is on a distinguished road
Ordered a 2 sets of Vesrah VD-154/2 JL's (front) and VD-163 JL (rear) for 1999 Superhawk stock calipers. KurvyGirl does not carry the fronts and was out of stock on the rears, but was helpful in confirming part numbers. Found them at repairmanual.com for under $30/set and the Haynes Manual for $32.

Anyone compare the JLs to the RJLs?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Squid

red02vtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbeater
I've done a couple track days. 2001 US spec 26K on bike. I always disconnect all lights. Hasn't bothered the R/R.
I was advised to run 32psi at both ends. Your tires get a lot hotter on the track due to the speed being higher.
Don't look at your speedometer and don't race anyone. Just ride your bike.
Second this.

I removed all the turn signals completely. Unplugged the headlight/running light/brake light and put painters tape all over them. (just beware the residue after taking it off)

I ran higher tire pressures than normal, can't remember what exactly. Second lap a ducati 848 lost the front end on turn 1A at NHIS because he switched a track day wheel on his bike and forgot to air up the tire.

To me it helped trying to keep an eye on the tach. Once you get used to the track it helped me get faster by keeping the hawk in the sweet spot higher in the revs. I ran brand newish pilot powers with brand new ebc HH pads. One track day didn't hurt either and I was more than satisfied with the performance of both. If I was going to do more track days I might look to other products, but I'm not made of money.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Yeah any of you hardcore guys have old oem pads for cheap I'd be interested. They do fine on Cheraholla
Old 04-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
If you don't already have this, or one to borrow for a friend, I'd highly suggest picking it up. One of the many useful articles is about suggested tire pressures for different models of tires, if and when to use tire warmers depending on the model of tire, etc. etc, etc..

2014 Trackday Directory

Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChipWheel
Ordered a 2 sets of Vesrah VD-154/2 JL's (front) and VD-163 JL (rear) for 1999 Superhawk stock calipers. KurvyGirl does not carry the fronts and was out of stock on the rears, but was helpful in confirming part numbers. Found them at repairmanual.com for under $30/set and the Haynes Manual for $32.

Anyone compare the JLs to the RJLs?
I haven't tried the RJLs, but the JLs are not as good as the OEM pads (I have F4i and 954RR calipers) in my experience.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Tire vendors at the track usually have a good PSI starting point....
Old 04-11-2014, 06:08 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
For pads I run EBC HH and I like them. Haven't tried many others but they work well for me on my race bike

It's a good idea you have for getting your suspension set up. Having the sag at correct values is beneficial for the track.

For tire pressures, you should ask the tire vender at the track what's he/she recommends for your bike/tire/track you are on.

My racing rival/friend is a Bridgestone tire dealer for the mid Atlantic region. When we race in the south at road Atlanta, when we were there someone asked him for recommened pressures. He said go talk to Derrick(southern region Bridgestone dealer) because we were further south it was hotter, more sun bakes the track hotter so his recommendations were slightly different than what would have been recommended further north.

I hope that made sense I just woke up