Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Light Truck Advice/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Light Truck Advice/Opinions

Ok so figured I'd see what everyone's opinion on here was-

I've been driving around AZ for the past 6 years with no A/C and it's time for an upgrade!

I was looking at something like Miata, but then I realized that it doesn't hold much more practicality than a motorcycle. I commute on the bike, and don't have a whole lot of people to haul around and realized that there have been more than one instance where I could have used a truck bed...

So, looking for a light truck now. The only two absolute requirements are that it has A/C and is a manual transmission. I'm not too much a fan of my automatic. I'm thinking that I want a smaller truck (you can strap a motorcycle on them if the tail is down, right?), I probably want a crew cab, and that's about it. So far I've been looking into American, but that's not a particular necessity: Range is up to about the $6k for the right truck, I would like to stay around $4k

So far the two that I keep coming back to are the:
1998-2004 Dodge Dakota
1998-current Ford Ranger

Any opinions or suggestions? The dodge actually gets pretty good reviews...

It's a pretty specific situation, but I like hearing people on this forum discuss things.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine has what I think is called a Ford Explorer sport track. Basically a small P/U with 4 doors. I have no idea what they go for used, but looks like it would fit your description
Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
are you looking for a v6 or v8? maybe even an i-4 or 5-cyl?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nothing
are you looking for a v6 or v8? maybe even an i-4 or 5-cyl?
All of the above- aside from the obvious (fuel economy, power) are there any downfalls to either?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2010 Ranger in September. My younger brother has an '03 ranger Edge & he's been happy with his.

Decent gas mileage, pretty much bullet proof.

Mines a 5 spd., AC, almost $18 grand out the door though, and that was a good price for a brand new truck.

i'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a Ranger, even an older one for $4 grand, but I don't really know what the market for trucks is like in Arizona.

Up here they tend to hold their value pretty well, I couldn't justify buying a couple year old Ranger when a new one was nearly the same price.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

Tons of Rangers down here for under 6K. I understand that spending 4K is optimistic, but I need something to tell the dealers . I'll be a little careful with the mileage, but I've never owned a car with under 100k either..

That Sport Trac looks pretty cool- you think a motorcycle could fit on the back of that? 50 inch bed...

Ridgeline would be sweet, but too far out of my price range to even get lucky on that one.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
My brothers friend has an '03 Ranger with 203,000 kilometers on it... Whats that, like 130,000 miles?

No problems with that truck, general maintenance, and it just keeps going... looks good too.

He's had his snowmobile on the back for the past 2 months, and that suckers heavy.

I've had 2 dirtbikes, a large toolchest, and a bike trailer with a workbench on it, and the truck was fine pulling quite a bit of weight.

If you can get one around $6gs in good shape, that'd be my choice.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I'm a die hard toyota fan, so that's what I would suggest. If you want crew/quad cab that would be a newer(2000ish and up) tacoma. Last fall I had two FZR600's in my brothers quad cab tacoma with no problems(tailgate down of course)

I myself am looking for a pre 1994 Toyota Pickup with the 22RE motor. That engine is damn near indestructible if you keep oil in it. I have had several with over 300,000 miles on the original motor still running strong. Being in AZ you could find one completely rust free, which is the older toyota's downfall
Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I am with you on being a Die Hard toyota owner.. My last toyota (22RE, 5spd X-cab, 2wd) was a blue 1993. I bought it from 1st cousin- who was going over seas to fight, and I had just returned -That was in 1995(truck had 105k on it) I drove that truck to OK. about 6times from NC. And never a failing moment.. Drove it for 8 years and sold it to my younger brother for his first vehicle.. He finally traded in that truck in 2008 with 452,872 miles(original engine,transmission- after only 3 clutches, and countless sets of tires) That would be my choice.. If your gonna spend the money..BUY what you want....
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
OH ! ! forgot ! brother trade the truck in for a 2009 crew cab tocoma(2.7 4cyl, 5spd, 4wd)
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I would agree on the Toyota's. I owned a (still do) 94 Dodge Dakota with the 318 Mag V-8. This was a great truck and is now being completely ignored. Like most Detroit bullshit - they were made to be replaced. Only a complete rebuild bumper to bumper. Engine (rebuilt -but trash again), tranny is shot, rear-end next.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
I'm a die hard toyota fan, so that's what I would suggest. If you want crew/quad cab that would be a newer(2000ish and up) tacoma. Last fall I had two FZR600's in my brothers quad cab tacoma with no problems(tailgate down of course)

I myself am looking for a pre 1994 Toyota Pickup with the 22RE motor. That engine is damn near indestructible if you keep oil in it. I have had several with over 300,000 miles on the original motor still running strong. Being in AZ you could find one completely rust free, which is the older toyota's downfall
+1...My wife and I own 3 Toyota 4x4's:

86 Xtra Cab pick-up w/22RE (bought new by my wife before we met) with 370,000 miles. Had the engine rebuilt at 335,000. It was running great, but the timing chain was going out so just had it rebuilt. Keep the valves adjusted (40 minute job, max) and the oil changed and they run forever.

98 4Runner V6 with 266,000 miles (bought new).

07 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed V6 with 90,000 miles (bought new).
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
MotoGP

So would you go back as far as, say 95, if there were less than 150k miles and it looked taken care of for a Toyota? If I try to buy a Toyota made in this millennium they are too far out of my price range for comfort.

I have looked a little at the colorado, frontier, s-10, tacoma, ranger, and dakotas but have never been in the market for a truck before. Seems like the Toyota reputation hasn't escaped you guys either...

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
+1...My wife and I own 3 Toyota 4x4's:

86 Xtra Cab pick-up w/22RE (bought new by my wife before we met) with 370,000 miles. Had the engine rebuilt at 335,000. It was running great, but the timing chain was going out so just had it rebuilt. Keep the valves adjusted (40 minute job, max) and the oil changed and they run forever.

98 4Runner V6 with 266,000 miles (bought new).

07 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed V6 with 90,000 miles (bought new).
Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Just traded in my '98 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 104K miles for a f150.....
Awesome truck with the excpetion of the stereo...

If you go the Ranger route, make sure all electrics are in order. Other than that a pretty bullet-proof little truck.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
get a SUV, then buy a trailer. maybe?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 7moore7
So would you go back as far as, say 95, if there were less than 150k miles and it looked taken care of for a Toyota? If I try to buy a Toyota made in this millennium they are too far out of my price range for comfort.

Personally, I wouldn't get a 1995 and later Tacoma(all toyotas pre 1994 were just called "Truck"). It's not that the 2RZ/3RZ motor in those have problems, they just don't have the reputation the 22RE does, also the 22RE is very simple to work on just about anything. As far as mileage goes, I wouldn't think twice about buying a toyota 22RE vehicle* with 200k-300k miles as long as it was well taken care of. *the 22RE also came in 4runners, Rear wheel drive Celicas, and Truck based MotorHomes

A few years back for $300 I bought a 22RE equipped 1983 Celica GTS off ebay with 282,000 miles from the second owner, who knew the first owner, a woman in the navy that took it to Iceland, Japan, and Hawaii. Drove it home with a slipping clutch and no power steering. A weekend later i was on the road with historic tags. It ran better and pulled harder than any other Celica I've driven(10+). I beat the hell out of it for 60,000 miles delivering pizza until it met it's demise at 340k. Would be running today, but I threw a belt and overheated it till it locked up trying to get home without stopping(long story short)

This past weekend I went a looked at a 1985 Toyota Mini-Cruiser Motor home. Fully loaded kitchen/bathroom, sleeps 4, 22 foot long. It had a 22RE with a 4 speed manual transmission. Now that really says something about the 22RE engine, being tough enough to lug around a giant motorhome body. and the guy said he's towed a motorcycle to florida, getting 15-18 MPG!!!!

side note- the guy also had 30+ bikes he wanted to sell, I'm considering trying to get one of them, a 1983 Suzuki XN85 turbo with 15,000 miles

sorry for the book, I just love the 22RE!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
get a SUV, then buy a trailer. maybe?
I thought about that route- but don't really have a place to put the trailer, and only use the back seats of my car for 15 miles or less trips usually. I may even convince myself that a regular cab pickup is all I need, just that the back 2 seats sure are nice when I do need them.

Now I'm kind of getting into un-researched territory, but how easy is each one to work on? My dad has a Toyota and jobs on that thing are dang easy.
I can't imagine the Ford being hard, but have no experience with it. I'm kind of just discussing at this point... the interwebs should probably dig up some results...

Haha, I should probably avoid getting something that will allow me to buy broken down motorcycles
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 PM
SuperSport

Extended cab toyotas have small back seats. Older models can be found with a Longer bed.

As far as working on the 22RE, I've done a headgasket, clutches, timing chain, ect in my garage with hand tools. Accessory replacement like Power steering pump, Alternator, AC compressor is a snap. Easy valve adjustment.

Their Achilles heel is the timing chain guide, it's plastic and when it wears through at ~180k they break, and the chain rubs the timing cover and wears a hole into the water pump mixing oil and water. I've had that happen, replaced/welded the parts and kept going. If caught before that it's a non-issue.

I stick with 80's/early 90's vehicles....once you venture into OBD-II territory things get more complicated for the garage mechanic, in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
SuperSport

and with the money you save buying an older vehicle, you can afford quite a few broken down motorcycles
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
I'll jump on the Ford Ranger bandwagon, they are pretty stout. Mine is a '05 V6 auto std cab rwd w/ crank windows. It's had everything from the Hawk to a BMW 1150RT in the bed, it pulls my bike trailer just fine, although I wish it got better than 20-21 mpg.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I would say try looking at the S-10 Crew Cab. I have a '02 and love it. The engine and transmission are bullet proof. Just keep it maintained and you won't have any issues. The only bad thing is the brakes. They are just a horrible design in my opinion. You need to take the brakes apart and lube the caliper slider pins as often as you change the oil. All in all, its a good truck. A motorcycle fits in the bed with the tailgate down too.

If you feel like opening up your options more, get one of these for your bike:

If the image doesn't work click here
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
my buddy's dad just picked up an 04 taco for $8000, barley no options, 5 spd, 75k miles, 2wd. pretty pricy imo I would stick american unless you can find a killer deal then I would go with the taco.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I am doing the same thing.. Looking for a small truck in AZ, only mine must be 4x4, and I don't care how old (I am mostly looking at 80's Toyotas or Samurais) or if the engine is shot.. That is because I am going to be rebuilding mine as a offroad toy.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
I've had my 2000 Dakota quad cab since 50k, and now it's got 140k on it.

I've got the v6, 4wd. Mileage has slipped down to about 15mpg on the highway (probably needs a tuneup) but otherwise this truck is awesome! Its done everything I've thrown at it and then some. I've replaced the clutch, transfer case, rear differential, and some other random smaller parts. It's got 32x11.5's on it. It carted my hawk with ease (tailgate down), and the quad cab is pretty handy for carting friends around.

All that said, I wish I had a small side storage box on it for the jack, extra fluids, etc that anyone with a 4wd in Colorado should carry. There is quite literally NO room under the rear seat for this stuff.

I would buy another of my little truck in a heartbeat!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an '01 Toyota Tundra 4WD Xtra cab, that I bought used in '02 with 25k miles.

It has 195k miles on it. I put a new set of Bilsteins on it, so I could finally get rid of the POS Ranchos I had on it for 100k. I'm getting ready to put another timing belt/water pump in it as PM, but nothing has ever gone wrong with it - except a plugged fuel injector.

I have an '04 automatic transmission with 25k miles on it in my garage, in case I need it, but my original transmission seems to be bulletproof.

Maybe I'll be done with it at 300k miles, but the thing runs and drives the same as it did when I bought it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
I have an '01 Toyota Tundra 4WD Xtra cab, that I bought used in '02 with 25k miles.

It has 195k miles on it. I put a new set of Bilsteins on it, so I could finally get rid of the POS Ranchos I had on it for 100k. I'm getting ready to put another timing belt/water pump in it as PM, but nothing has ever gone wrong with it - except a plugged fuel injector.

I have an '04 automatic transmission with 25k miles on it in my garage, in case I need it, but my original transmission seems to be bulletproof.

Maybe I'll be done with it at 300k miles, but the thing runs and drives the same as it did when I bought it.
Toyota tends to overbuild their transmissions in my experience. Heck, both the tundra & tacoma can get TRD superchargers without any transmission changes and keep their warranties.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
MotoGP

7moore7:

Yuryur had a Dakota that he replaced with a Toyota double cab. The Dakota was ok, I helped him replace a clutch on it once, that was a PITA, but no more so than any other vehicle.

The Tacoma has been solid, zero problems, since he got it ~4 yrs ago and a nice upgrade in comfort and offroad capability. (he has an toytech lift & old man emu suspension on it) And it carries 2 bikes no problem, even as a double cab short bed.

One thing to remember is that Dodge/Chrysler paint will go bad in the AZ heat. Just look at any older dodge here that hasn't been repainted. They must use crayola to source their paints.

Last edited by lazn; 03-01-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
I'm a huge Nissan fan. I bought an '01 Frontier in 2004. As of today the only "repair" it has ever required is a new battery. Change the tires and oil and the thing will run forever. I think in 2001 I paid $10k for it with 24,000 miles. Love my truck!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
MotoGP

Dang I am posting a lot.. lol

But since you mentioned having A/C (a huge deal in AZ) look at Post 1994 vehicles so that you won't have to convert the system if it goes bad. This puts you into ODB years making computers a part of working on them. Not necessarily harder, but different, and requiring a code reader if you get a check engine light. I got a DashHawk for my car, but that would be overkill for just reading codes plus Autozone will read them for free if you need.

Personally my feeling is: if you want AC, I would say that dealing with a computer is better than dealing with converting the AC system (it will not quite work right and will eventually go bad with the conversion kits) you can still find R12 but it is pricey, or you can take a trip to Mexico to get your AC fixed if you do end up with the older system
Old 03-01-2011, 01:25 PM
HIGH-SPEED
Squid

CptCrunch is on a distinguished road
my vote would be chevy s10.. great little truck. i had a s10 blazer for years then got the s10 truck extended cab 4x4.

Quick Reply: Light Truck Advice/Opinions