General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Which bike to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
Are you buying new or used?
Buying used, you'd probally find a better deal on a shawk.
Buying new, last time I checked, you could get the SV a bout $1000 cheaper.
I think the Honda might have the edge on reliability though.
I have 130,000 on by shawk now, had to replace the regulator/rectifier and front carb diaphram.

You like dirtbikes? I do too, the shawk feels kinda like a dirtbike to me.

Never rode the SV1000 , but I think it might come stock with better suspension than the shawk.

Most of us fix the shawk suspension, in my case $100 for fork springs, modified my own stock valves.
And $500 for a Fox Shock.

You'd probally be happy with either bike. But once you get a bike that handles well, you probally won't be happy with a cruiser anymore.

~Jeffers
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Squid

DDohio
Re: Which bike to buy?

I would expect one major difference to be in power delivery. I believe the SV would be like most sport bikes, having a top end rush of power, but the shawk is very linear, with great low/mid range torque. I had always ridden dirt bikes and in-line fours and it was quite a change to have a bike with muscle anytime I crack open the right grip. I think that is the single most addicting aspect of riding a shawk. I ride quite a few track days (8 this year) and it doesn't matter too much what gear I am in, just whack it open!

Good luck with whatever you buy.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can tell you this, a buddy of mine has owned the TL1000s and the SV1000s. From what he has told me the SV isn't as fun as he remembers the TL being, "it just doesn't seem to have the same punch." those were his exact words.
He also said it may be because he's just had his gsxr 1000 for the past 2 years or so. But he owned the TL and gsxr together and he rode the TL on the street more. So you can make your own decision as to what that tells you, in my opinion there isn't a more fun bike to own than the superhawk but I own a superhawk.
As far as suspension goes the Sv has 43mm forks I believe with more adjustment in both front and rear. It also has 320mm rotors compared to 296mm on the superhawk. As was stated before if you go used you can upgrade and still come out cheaper. If it's new than it depends on how bad the dealer wants it out the door and don't forget about left overs.
Price new Sv list $8599. Superhawk $9299. The choice isn't very obvious, the SV is also fuel injected and you are correct on power delivery. I get him in the bottom end he takes over in top end. Not an easy choice, good luck in your decision and happy ridding no matter what you choose.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

SV was my candidate when I made my choice towards SHawk.
I rode SV, but please take into account all here is personal impression, and I really advice you to try both yourself before making decision.

SV to me seemed slower steering and generally feeling "heavier" in direciton changes than SHawk.
I also was dissapointed with handling stability (front) - I expeted it to be better. Still, I tried standard stock SV, and I am sure suspension can be made better, without slight wallowing I experienced.
SHawk felt wrong too (kinda "understeering" at cornering resulting in "oversteering" and exiting and too soft forks), but I knew exactly what was wrong and at price for SHawk I could afford proper upgrade.
Engine did not feel to me any stronger than SHawk, not like TL-R at all.
Did not try TLS, so..
I liked injected engine, but seen practically same consumption as VTR, and not really big enugh tank, so it was not key factor to me.
Fuelling still felt slightly jerky at low speed, but I must admit that VTR a bit rough too at walking speeds.
So, I choose VTR for: IMHO better looks (I hate "new edge" style), lightness (thou I have race exhaust and some other minor things reducing dry weight to 185-186 kilos), more comfortable riding position, better pillion seat and great difference in price. And Honda badge (cheapest spares in Belgium).

Ah, yes - and I do not trust bike that can't be started with "dead" battery (injection, pump). Probably I am too old :wink:

Not sure about resale value in US for both bikes, so can't say anything about that...

But all this is purely personal
Old 08-22-2005, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
after reading this, i went and did a search to find out some info on the sv. i was surprised to see that they make a sv1000 along with the sv1000s. not sure if is available in the states but after reading up on it a bit , it's definetly a contender for my next bike.... although it will not be replacing my superhawk.... nooooo way.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

Yes, naked bike is available in U.S., there's one in my local shop.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 AM
MotoGP

8) Happy trails my new hawk friend!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Squid

dive2277

I had the same dilemma, SV1000s or VTR1000F?????
After, long research I decided on the Super Hawk because it has more character and sexier styling, plus Honda reliability. Basically unchanged since 1998, having such a track record of reliably was important to me. In addition, Honda had its best Engineers design this bike with Ducati in mind. Moreover, I come across a 1998 red Super Hawk, bought new in 2002 with 14K commuter miles and all the service receipts, two brand new Joe Rocket jackets, Shoei RF-900 helmet like new, extra parts (4 spark plugs, 1 oil filter, and Factory service manual) two sets of gloves and LHP tank bra. All for a grand total of US $3,500.00 Cash money! (only 1,100 commuter miles on the Michelin Pilot Road tires) Plus, I like the twin radiators!