General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times- Version 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
I get to practice my slides every time I go out on the road, I live on a 1/4 mile dirt road and there's plenty more to be found around me.
Whoa! :smile:
Old 01-19-2007, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I got picked on a couple of times on here because of the dirt all over my tires and stuff, I like to flat track it in and out of my driveway and fish tail it all the way down the road. It's not very busy and I don't do it at hours where people would'nt get pissy but I'm lucky the hicks on ATV's do it all the time so I get away with it.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Yeah I got picked on a couple of times on here because of the dirt all over my tires and stuff, I like to flat track it in and out of my driveway and fish tail it all the way down the road. It's not very busy and I don't do it at hours where people would get pissy but I'm lucky the hicks on ATV's do it all the time so I get away with it.
I think a video demonstration of that is in order here! LOL
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

I don't have a mount but I'll see if the wife's up to taping it but I've got a feeling she'd just kick my ***!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Back Marker

Okay, well we don't want to get you in any more trouble!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Ain't Florida grand? I've got a tenth mile easement and then a block or so of dirt road before I touch pavement at my place. It took me about 3 days of riding in FL before I accepted the truth; ride in FL, ride in sand. Better get used to the idea and use sandy patches as training opportunities. A short patch of sand as you turn onto a street allows a nice crossed-up wheelie when the rear tire reconnects on the clean pavement.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

Yep BTDT, don't worry I'll get it on here sooner or later.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY
Ain't Florida grand? I've got a tenth mile easement and then a block or so of dirt road before I touch pavement at my place. It took me about 3 days of riding in FL before I accepted the truth; ride in FL, ride in sand. Better get used to the idea and use sandy patches as training opportunities. A short patch of sand as you turn onto a street allows a nice crossed-up wheelie when the rear tire reconnects on the clean pavement.
Man what's in the water in Florida lately? First you got the college basketball team kicking butt, then the football team, and now you two guys doing power slides and crossed up wheelies in your front yard!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Back Marker

Video posted

On youtube.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM4rnjVAYns

Embarrassing as hell.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
and here you see just how nice a Superhawk can be. what should have been a nasty highside was just a smooth lowside because the bike was polite. would a GSZRCB have done that? no, it would have spit that poor fellow into orbit and then beat itself into a pulp.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY
and here you see just how nice a Superhawk can be. what should have been a nasty highside was just a smooth lowside because the bike was polite. would a GSZRCB have done that? no, it would have spit that poor fellow into orbit and then beat itself into a pulp.
Maybe so... I've got a motojournalist friend who's telling me the opposite. Says more modern bikes are safer on the track in his opinion...not sure what I think about that yet. All I do know right now is pain.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kevink2
On youtube.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM4rnjVAYns

Embarrassing as hell.

I'm no riding expert by any means, but to me you had just about the most controlled crash you could have. Looks like you kept body and bike damage to a minimum, although I'd rather not be feeling the pain in your head/upper body.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Otto Man
I'm no riding expert by any means, but to me you had just about the most controlled crash you could have. Looks like you kept body and bike damage to a minimum, although I'd rather not be feeling the pain in your head/upper body.
LOL thanks Otto Man, I think it's the first time (and hopefully the last) that I've been complimented on my mad crashing skills! :smile:
Old 01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kevink2
LOL thanks Otto Man, I think it's the first time (and hopefully the last) that I've been complimented on my mad crashing skills! :smile:
Any crash you can walk away from is a good crash!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
Any crash you can walk away from is a good crash!
Most definitely. I should be thankful it was not worse.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
I had the impression from your first post on this thread that you'd highsided. On analysing the video, I think you're correct and that the tires had gone off. They do.

Illustration: I was racing my old CB1100F at Phillip Island in Australia in the weekend. With the original shocks, the new rear tire did two 15-minute practice sessions. Changed the shocks, but after five races totalling maybe 70 minutes the second new tire is totalled now, too.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by PJay
I had the impression from your first post on this thread that you'd highsided. On analysing the video, I think you're correct and that the tires had gone off. They do.

Illustration: I was racing my old CB1100F at Phillip Island in Australia in the weekend. With the original shocks, the new rear tire did two 15-minute practice sessions. Changed the shocks, but after five races totalling maybe 70 minutes the second new tire is totalled now, too.
Yeah it was more of a "highside mc fakey". It's funny comparing my recollectance of the crash with actual video. I could've sworn I flew fifty feet up in the air... ;-)

Anyway, after some beer and vicodin induced "thinking" time, I've come to a few realizations:

1) I didn't really crash because I twisted the throttle any harder. A few laps prior, I passed a few guys in that turn because they really went wide out of there, which messes up their entrance to the next corner. I realized I had found a faster way through the section. I crashed because I was working on tightening up the line a bit, which increased my lean angle slightly, and forgot about the conditions.

2) The track was cold and did not contain any big, deep left handers to help maintain heat in the left side that day. It was a new configuration for the club, so nobody knew what too expect. (On a warmer day, it should be a good layout.)

3) As you mention the tires, they are probably worn. I should have inspected them much more closely, and also probably ran too much air pressure for a 50 degree day (30/29). I can now see the rear tire's profile has been slightly compromised on the left side, probably from my previous trackday (going around the AMA track with the banking, etc.). Obviously softer compound tires would've helped too.

4) I could use a steering damper. Kiyo had an Ohlins for me, but finding a mounting bracket has been difficult. I thought I could be a tough guy and not have problems in the meantime...doh!

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be feeling well enough to start dealing with the damaged bike. I'm not sure if I'll fix it or dump it, right now. The frame, etc. will need to be checked.

On top of that, my other bike is sitting there in the corner, snickering at me right now. Blue meanie.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Wait..... "I don't know if I will fix it or dump it..." That's crap. If I crash my bike, I either fix it by throwing whatever parts on it that will make it go again; or I don't ride a motorcycle. If you go the "dump it" route, you'll sell everything here, right? I am a little confused about your riding choices. You have a GSXR750 and a Hawk, and you crashed the Hawk at the track. I thing I would be riding the Gixxer at the track and the Hawk on the street, but that's just me. It is a perpetual delimna with having a couple great bikes; which one to ride?

Good luck fixin' 'er up, and let us know if you have any sweet part you want to sell!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by fundgh
Wait..... "I don't know if I will fix it or dump it..." That's crap. If I crash my bike, I either fix it by throwing whatever parts on it that will make it go again; or I don't ride a motorcycle. If you go the "dump it" route, you'll sell everything here, right? I am a little confused about your riding choices. You have a GSXR750 and a Hawk, and you crashed the Hawk at the track. I thing I would be riding the Gixxer at the track and the Hawk on the street, but that's just me. It is a perpetual delimna with having a couple great bikes; which one to ride?

Good luck fixin' 'er up, and let us know if you have any sweet part you want to sell!
Since the Superhawk is paid for and I've been having title issues with the previous owner's lien company with the Gixxer, I decided to use the trusty 'Hawk first to learn my chops at the track. I was hoping to use the Honda for the first handful of track days, and then use the more focused bike as my riding improved. Looks like the crash accelerated these plans a bit.

Parting with the Superhawk would be tough still however. I don't think it'll be too much to fix it, and I still really like the twin thing.

But of course I will let you all know if parts start flying off of it!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Kevin. I just watched the video. Just looks like the rear came loose. Whether it's a worn tire or not, you were riding smoothly, doesn't look like you chopped the throttle. Maybe you were inside the racing line and got into some loose stuff. You were zooming around, having a great time and you fell down. It happens. Fix her up and get back out there! Well you might have to wit until the ribs stop moving around. I know that pain!

I have an Ohlins damper and mounting bracket that mounts to the lower fairing bracket and Showa USD fork, if you need it.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Hey Kevin. I just watched the video. Just looks like the rear came loose. Whether it's a worn tire or not, you were riding smoothly, doesn't look like you chopped the throttle. Maybe you were inside the racing line and got into some loose stuff. You were zooming around, having a great time and you fell down. It happens. Fix her up and get back out there! Well you might have to wit until the ribs stop moving around. I know that pain!

I have an Ohlins damper and mounting bracket that mounts to the lower fairing bracket and Showa USD fork, if you need it.
Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. The ribs are starting to feel better, but it's still a little difficult to get around.

Wow, you've really have an Ohlins assembly? We've been looking around for months, and I was getting a bit bummed out by that. I'm definitely interested, and will PM you. That is actually very exciting news. That would give me a reason to put her back together and try the damper... uh oh, I feel my motivation resurging!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear that you are OK. I cannot watch the video due to my location. Wish you lots of luck in the healing department of both body and bike!

KC-10 ENG
Old 02-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by KC-10ENG
Glad to hear that you are OK. I cannot watch the video due to my location. Wish you lots of luck in the healing department of both body and bike!

KC-10 ENG
Thanks KC!