Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

Is this the latest version of a Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Is this the latest version of a Superhawk

just read the first ride intro of the new buell. Really sounds impressive, real world sport bike with some neat engineering both chasis and engine. Probably offers a lot of what we love about the SH but brought up to spec.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/27aug...buell1125r.htm
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Mechanically it looks pretty tempting, but I can't get over the front end. Those radiator cowls are just too ugly. I wouldn't even consider buying the first year. I would like to see what happens though. I've always kind of been pulling for Buell, just not enough to buy one.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Squid

DBERN
ya looks pretty interesting I must say.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I ride with a guy that has an xb9r.. everytime I leave him at the stoplight he threatens to go buy a 1125r.. I'd ride it... hell, all bikes dont have to look like the typical "crotch-rocket".. I like that it looks different..

I took time to read the article.. I think I want one...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

yeah, its always a crap shoot going from first rides impressions on these new models. but a true sports bike designed with reasonable riding comfort and wind protection from the outset, a chance to see buell really in a competitive position and something unique is all pretty cool to me.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 PM
SuperBike

and if you still have too much time on your hands or just can't concentrate on work today, here is another comparo I'd been waiting to hear about: triumph has really does something the past few years. I have never ridden one but everyone seems to rave about them

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=5201&Page=1
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
It's nice to see that Buell finally has a possible top shelf sportbike. I already read one guy who said "it's not a real buell because it doesn't have a harley engine in it." He went on the say they'd "really have something" if they put a turbocharged harley motor in it. (!) What a load of crap! FINALLY they're going to have a competitive sportbike. The P-51 mustang wasn't special until they put in a rolls royce engine. The shelby cobra was special because they put in ford engines (I'm sure chevys would have done fine too ) If this bike is a winner no one will give a **** where the engine comes from, they'll just say "it kicks ***" just like when aprilia's were winning WSBK races on rotax power. Just like all the dirt trackers out there winning on rotax power. If road racing no longer fits harley's ******* "image" screw 'em, good on eric buell for shopping elsewhere. I personally could never understand why they didn't use the V-rod motor when the xb9r was first introduced. I asked an engineer at daytona and his answer was "it wouldn't fit." I said "but you just designed a brand new bike anyway, I dont understand, why not design it around a better engine." I think the sportster motor is cool for other buell products the same way ducati still uses the air cooled motor in some monster and supersport bikes, but buell needs a flagship sportbike so I hope this is at least getting close to such a bike.

Last edited by captainchaos; 08-28-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
and if you still have too much time on your hands or just can't concentrate on work today, here is another comparo I'd been waiting to hear about: triumph has really does something the past few years. I have never ridden one but everyone seems to rave about them

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=5201&Page=1
the 675 sux
Old 08-28-2007, 05:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by joshn569
the 675 sux
? Care to elaborate a little, I'm curious. I think it's friggin gorgeous but I haven't ridden one yet. I've also heard nothing but rave reviews about it.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Back Marker

Darkone22 is on a distinguished road
675 is a good bike imo
Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
Yep, another Buell that has almost everything. This time it's butt ugly, but so's the new CBR600RR. Doesn't stop it from being a great bike, right? Trumpet 675? Wow, a 33.5" seat. And my legs ain't nevah gonna be longer than they are. Curbside parking, please.
When mentioning Eric Buell as the reason for this bike, please remember that the Motor Company owns the majority of Buell stock, so they didn't just sign off on this because they had to. Just like their alliance with Aermacchi in the '70's, they made a strategic alliance with an engine supplier to make a unique bike. Oh, yeah, let's not forget that Porsche, not Willie G., designed the V-Rod motor. So let's give Harley credit where it's due. They are a saavy company with many irons in the fire, just one of them really mde of iron, the classic line of Sportster's, Fat Boys and Electra Glides.
I think the only thing that would keep me from trying this bike (other than those radiator ducts. As ugly as I've ever seen!) would be the question of engine parts supply from Rotax. I was looking into an Aprillia Mille for my track bike (has almost everything, including the optional Akro full system, fully adjustable Ohlins suspension and 320mm Brembo's up front, that I'd put on a S'Hawk for track day) but I heard about their service, which can be bad at best and abominable at worst. And I'd be carving up a $16K, high bling bike to get the same amout of weight off of it that I'd want to remove from a S'Hawk. (They weigh the same amout unless you get the Mille Factory R) And they only make as much HP as milksr is expecting after his mods are done, w/o the midrange hit a Hawk gives. Tradeoffs that aren't worth the extra money, no matter the bling I'm giving up.
So here I am, back to looking at available parts and planning on turning a second S'Hawk into Track Day Tool #1.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
I think that buell has finally got something good going on. I like the fact that they pulled that horrible sporty engine and finally thought about what they need to put in it. To tell you the truth, the looks of it aren't that bad. I'd sport it any day. As far as the 675, unless you've tried one, i suggest you don't knock on it. They are screamin' fast and sound even better with a full arrow exhaust system.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Sounds cool from the article and I like the looks right up to the front.....anyone remember that "Black Manta" character from those old Superfriends cartoons? That's what popped into my head when I opened the link.
Attached Thumbnails Is this the latest version of a Superhawk-black-manta.jpg  
Old 08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I've always admired Buell's for the different design and ingenuity, but I just couldn't stand spending $$$$$ for a bike and have parts/nuts/bolts vibrate off every week as I've read in various long term reviews.

If that is solved with the new rotax powerplant, I MIGHT buy one...but I'm gonna wait a year or three to see if they have all the bugs worked out of the chassis/motor combo, and see if they keep the damn thing together.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Duck007
Sounds cool from the article and I like the looks right up to the front.....anyone remember that "Black Manta" character from those old Superfriends cartoons? That's what popped into my head when I opened the link.

LOL!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
I like it for the most part, and even don't really think it's that bad looking, but I still don't get the belt drive system and the brakes.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Darkone22
675 is a good bike imo
My opinions on the 675:

Its really uncomfortable to ride, my arms and wrists were aching after 10 miles.

Its got no ***** off the line or in the mid range - keep in mind im comparing all of this to my friends 06 r6, not the superchicken.

It feels really really small under neath you.

The undertail exhaust cooks you

The jap 600's will **** all over the 675 handling and power wise, i think.

On the up side it does look sweet and is really light. I guess it would make a great track bike for some one and its got a cool lap timer in it.

The speed tripple on the other hand is an awesome bike. If i were to go out and buy a brand new bike the 1050 speed tripple would be one that i consider. Its got really great power and goes like hell, plus its a naked street fighter look and a more upright position when sitting on it, and thats more my style i guess. I worked at a triumph dealer up until a couple months ago and so i got to ride all the models. Triumph is comming out with a 675 version of the speed tripple call the street tripple if anyone is intrested.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
"The more upright ergos were not a hindrance on the race track, and were a very welcome comfort on the road. The 1125R is not a sport tourer, but it is just as comfortable as some sport tourers I have tested, and far more comfortable than most sportbikes.

I don't know if it was the extra wide fairing at work, but the cockpit area was undisturbed by sudden wind buffets. The wind that is allowed to reach your upper shoulders and head is smooth."

Now you got my attention! For my next bike, I've thought about trying to mod a 51 to be more S/T friendly but now....

And to think it only cost $3k more than my first new SuperHawk did back in 1997 (included new staintunes). What a great time in motorcycling that we live in now.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
For the first time in my life, I think want to own a Harley! That new 1125R looks a little ugly, but I could live with it.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
As some of you remember, I like Buells. Almost bought a 9x actually. No, they aren't competitive with the 600 repli-racers but for around town street riding, they are big fun. My only prob. with the new 1125 comes down to dealer support. As a member of BadWeb, the Buell forum, I've read more posts than I can count about dealers that simply don't care to support Buell products, because they feel that it pulls their attention from their #1 focus, the H-D product line. Obviously, the traditional bikes have a higher profit margin, and when you combine that with the fact they sell a hell of a lot more of them than the do Buells, I can understand a dealer wanting to devote their Buell floor space to H-D product, it's just better business. But I also don't want to buy a product from a dealer who's reluctant to sell, and even more reluctant to service. There's also plenty of horror stories about bad service, possibly attributed to the fact that they just don't see enough of them to stay proficient???

Anyway, if Buell could get a real dealer network that cares, and is even half as fanatical about the bikes as most Buell owners are, they could really make a dent. That's my .02.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't get past the width of the headlights, if they were not so wide I would consider it.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Once my bikes leave the showroom floor they never go back to the dealer unless it's warranty work. I've dealt with too many asshat mechanics that don't have a clue what they're doing, plus I'm a tightwad and would rather do the work myself to save the money. So if I were to buy the 1125R I'd probably shop for the best price, get some kind of extended warranty and (hopefully) never take it back to the dealer.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:35 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I used to dream of a buell project with a set of airtech's VR1000 bodywork...even went as far as to think of putting it on a TL1000R (heaven forbid) as the frame and engine would make a better VR replica than an old buell. Maybe this is the bike to do it to?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone, just want to share my opinion about Buell 1125R every time i look at it: Japanese built 10years old design of Italian bike and Buell build 10 years old design of Japanese.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
I like it. That actually makes me want to buy a new bike.

The scoops will most likely look better with the bike next to you or underneath you. They seem to serve a purpose. I think "real" scoops are pretty cool.
I would love to see what that motor is really capable of with a good tune and some aftermarket goodies. The torque number would get quite big, 90+ maybe?
It sounds really fun.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
I read in a report that part of the function of the scoops if to prevent damage to the rest of the bike during a crash. I think it was in motorcycle-usa.com
Old 09-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
the scoops i dont mind but man that upper is UG-LEEE. looks like an alien head with its antenas bent over sideways. hows that childrens song go, 'big fat head and itty bitty body....' yeah.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
I like it...think it would be great for longer rides and the look is not that bad....I like the 146HP..if it is even close to those numbers...It may become mine....
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the 1125 is going to be really good for Buell. It's about time they put a trick motor (trick compared to the Harley crap they were using before) into their trick bikes.
I'll really be interested when they start making their own power plants and ditch the funky front end.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
I think the 1125 is going to be really good for Buell. It's about time they put a trick motor (trick compared to the Harley crap they were using before) into their trick bikes.
I'll really be interested when they start making their own power plants and ditch the funky front end.
If I know Erik B & HD, they will never manufacturer their own motors "in-house", way too much capital investment and their present facility (I'm relatively speaking "just down the road") is not setup/big enough for that. If the reliability of the 1125 is not near perfect the first couple years it will die a slow, painful death; and the problems reported by the mag raggers on their pre-production unit rides does not bode well in this regard. Just one man's opinion mind U.

Quick Reply: Is this the latest version of a Superhawk