General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

It was the best of time, it was the worst of times! Or superhawk down 12/10

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
It was the best of time, it was the worst of times! Or superhawk down 12/10

Well it was the best of times and it was the worst of times. I was only doing a half-day on sun. and picked up some takeoffs on the way up so I used the morning to get my tires on. Then Sarge announced they were doing the mock races, YEEEHAAWWW!! I skipped the mock races 2 times before but I REALY wanted to do this one. I had one session to warm up and then they were doing the race. My first session I scared the crap out of myself, I was coming down the front straight and grabbed the brake with one finger like I always do and it went all the way down to my other fingers!!! I went off in one did some dirt riding and got back on, somehow the adjuster worked itself all the way in. I adjusted by grabbing with my whole hand and it was fine, I ran consistent 1:30's not too bad.

We do a warm up lap for the race and I got in front so I wouldn't have to deal with traffic at the start but still got passed by 4 guys. By the time we got out of T-1 it was me and one other guy on the 1st lap I came out wide in 13 went of the lip but kept under control, (even got a good save from Sarge on that one). You would think that would’ve slowed me down or got me distracted but it did the opposite I was more focused after that and ran real smooth. Long story short I had the lead for a short time but ended up 3rd because I'm so out of shape I got tired but I did run a 1:28.25 and a couple of 29's!!! I was Pumped and I told my buddy I should just quit now since I got my personal best times, should've listened to my own advice. Went out in the next session and ran 3 laps of 1:29 and was riding really smooth until.........

I was riding right behind the guy I was battling for 1st in the mock race and we passed 3 or 4 guys in T-6. We came up to some slower traffic going into 7 so we set up on the outside to make a pass. He got around and I was about 2/3 of the way past this guy when he changed direction to go into T-8 I was going about 5-10mph faster and we ended up in the same place at the same time. We hit hard and my front tucked on impact the rear slid then caught and I went flying!!!! Hit the pavement hard with a WHAM on the back of the head, (this is when I give KBC helmets and Kobe back protectors a resounding thumbs up for protection) did the roll from hell and the bike slammed down on top of me. When the bike and I stopped it was on top of my legs and all I could think was "I can't just lay here I've got to get up!!" Brian from Photo One was the first one on scene and he kept telling me to just stay down the bike landed on you and you hit your head. I didn’t want to hear any of that and had to prove to myself I was ok, but it took 4 tries to get up my ankles hurt sooooo bad!!

All things considered I came out just fine, (i.e. sore as hell, swollen but not broken oh and a HUGE bruise on my left inner thigh and right above my willie, might wear a cup from now on), and the bike is very fixable although I did wreck my brand new foot peg and clutch levers but didn’t even bend my Heli-bar too badly. The tank has a small dent on the side from the accident and a slightly larger one on top from me pounding on it in frustration and minor scratches here and there. This is just the initial inspection but it seemed to ride straight from the short trip into the garage. Pictures will be coming as Brian got a nice shot of the bike doing a rider less wheelie and me pavement surfing behind it.

Lesson learned be careful where you pass, be very patient and get good gear and a back protector!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Ouch dude! No concussion?

Oh, and please no pictures of the bruise above your willie. :P

How are the ankles holding up? I messed my right one up recently during a SuperMoto practice session.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
Ouch dude! No concussion?

Oh, and please no pictures of the bruise above your willie. :P

How are the ankles holding up? I messed my right one up recently during a SuperMoto practice session.
Nope clear as a bell, no bells heard either! That's why I say a BIG thumbs up to the KBC VR2 and might just buy another one!! I'll spare you the picture of that portion of the body but the leg is pretty ugly as well.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 AM
MotoGP

Sorry forgot about the ankles, they're not too bad I actually have almost full range of motion already but can't walk for too long or they swell and throb. The 1st night was the real bitch, long ride back to the house then dinner and then I iced them down for a while on the couch. I went to get up but couldn't move once standing, I almost passed out walking to the bedroom door! I had to crawl into bed and my wife had to lift my *** into it, that kind of scared me a bit, but all is good now.

So who thinks I'm an *** for not being scared to go back?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Once you figure out what caused the fall, and understand that it is something you might be able to control in the future, I think the element of fear no longer applies. At least, not to crashing. The fear of pain is always there, though.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 AM
MotoGP

That's the part that pisses me off the most, I'm usually VERY cautious passing and this was very avoidable. I usually grab a handful of brake and just let the other guy have the line even if I think I can get by or if I think he might do something like cut me off. I've done small stoppies before in situations like that before but this time I thought I had him, just a bad place to pass there and I WON'T do that again, EVER.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad you are ok brotha. Been there done that. Broke 2 thumbs myself. Consider yourself lucky. At least you got most winter to work on it and get it back on the road.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
MotoGP

Thanks! Winter what's that! I hope to have it ready for Jan.22nd my B-day for another go at it! Bike doesn't look too bad really so it should be doable.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
wow.. great write-up, I had a pretty good visual by reading your account of the events. Really can't wait to see the photographer's pics now!! (hope that's not too strange)

and I'm glad you are anticipating the next track day... wounds heal.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:47 AM
MotoGP

Thanks, I am a bit of an aspiring writer too.:-D Don't sweat it about the pictures I'd be the same way and besides it's not like I'm dead or something.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
Good to hear your ok, passing at track day can be very scary if the people your passing don't hold a line. I've had qiute a few *** puckering moments.

ps glad to know you crash tested my helmet for me :-)

Get back out there and stuff them up the inside before they even know your there
Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by gssbmm
Good to hear your ok, passing at track day can be very scary if the people your passing don't hold a line. I've had qiute a few *** puckering moments.

ps glad to know you crash tested my helmet for me :-)

Get back out there and stuff them up the inside before they even know your there
Yeah you should have no problem with your helmet!! I hope to be back in Jan. and since I did the mock race I'm itching to get my race license probably in Feb. if all goes well.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Be careful out there! Glad you're ok and the bike is fixable.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
glad to hear your ok I can only imagine all the post we would have to put up with if you were on bed rest!! Bikes can be fixed bodies cannot. high sides always hurt worse. I once broke a clip-on clean off trying to hang on!!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Squid

L-man is on a distinguished road

WOW !!!!!!!!!!! glad your O.K.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Squid

Ki`Ki is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Lesson learned be careful where you pass, be very patient and get good gear and a back protector!!!
Best advice i've heard in awhile.. glad to hear that you came out of in good condition but a bruised sore body - even your hawk sounded like it came out of it well.

I just did a track day last sunday myself and had a zx6r overtake on inside the bike behind me and me on the outside only to highside his bike literally infront of me while i almost ran him over going through the turn - he ended up very very sore with a totalled bike - subframe snapped etc. Patience is a very important factor on the track - he made that mistake and i've made that mistake myself previously. I totally agree with your statement.

Would love to see the pics and your so not an *** for wanting to go back - track is an addiction and crashing is all part of learning the art of not crashing if that makes any sense... Glad to hear you came out of it ok!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Squid

seroj is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you're ok. What happened to the other dude?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Dude, glad your ok....well you got that out of the way....next!!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sprhawk neil
glad to hear your ok I can only imagine all the post we would have to put up with if you were on bed rest!! Bikes can be fixed bodies cannot. high sides always hurt worse. I once broke a clip-on clean off trying to hang on!!
Har har har!! Oh a wise guy eh nuck nuck nuck!!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by seroj
Glad to hear you're ok. What happened to the other dude?
He was fine, he didn't even go down which I was glas to find out. No matter who was at fault I would've felt like chit if he did go down,(not saying he was not saying I was just saying).
Old 12-14-2006, 02:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
Dude, glad your ok....well you got that out of the way....next!!
My buddy I usually go with has been saying the last few times I should've gotten it out of the way BEFORE I got fast because now it's gonna hurt. As a matter of fact I think he said it before we went out that session, hmmmm maybe it was HIS fault!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
My buddy I usually go with has been saying the last few times I should've gotten it out of the way BEFORE I got fast because now it's gonna hurt. As a matter of fact I think he said it before we went out that session, hmmmm maybe it was HIS fault!
I'd go wit dat....when all else fails, find someone to blame it on...lol...

that really must have sucked...and I am sure you will be soar for a while...aren't you married to a nurse or something??
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Wow, glad you're okay!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Hate to hear about the crash ! Glad your not busted up too bad and already planning to take it to the track again ( we Superhawk riders must be a stubborn breed) Post pics as soon as you can..
Old 12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=superhawk22;37159]My buddy I usually go with has been saying the last few times I should've gotten it out of the way BEFORE I got fast because now it's gonna hurt.

Well, I'm glad you got your times! I know that was important to you. Sorry about the crash but I think your buddy is right. Now that it's out of the way - move on!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
I'd go wit dat....when all else fails, find someone to blame it on...lol...

that really must have sucked...and I am sure you will be soar for a while...aren't you married to a nurse or something??
Actually I'm healing up pretty quick, everyday I feel better than the day before. I can walk without much of a limp at all and can go longer without it swelling. Oh and having a wife who's also a nurse isn't always a good thing. You wouldn't believe all the crap I'm getting from her co-workers, "what are you thinking! Sell that death machine! You've got kids!" etc....etc...
Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by hrcvf1000r
Hate to hear about the crash ! Glad your not busted up too bad and already planning to take it to the track again ( we Superhawk riders must be a stubborn breed) Post pics as soon as you can..
Pics will be up soon I have the "action" shot coming soon too.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:45 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Actually I'm healing up pretty quick, everyday I feel better than the day before. I can walk without much of a limp at all and can go longer without it swelling. Oh and having a wife who's also a nurse isn't always a good thing. You wouldn't believe all the crap I'm getting from her co-workers, "what are you thinking! Sell that death machine! You've got kids!" etc....etc...
Hey Mike, glad to hear you're ok. If I had a dime for everytime I had to hear "YOU"RE STILL RIDING?" after I got hurt.... I know how you feel all I could think about when I was in the hospital was riding again and two months later handed my buddy my crutches to hold so I could get on his TL1000 to get my "fix" as he called it. Sounds like you were having a blast up until. I guess this kind of stuff goes with the territory I've gotten hurt doing just about anything fun. As long as it heals and doesn't leave you with any longer term problems besides scars I think you're ahead of the game.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

Thanks Beau, I have pretty much the same philosophy.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Congratulations....you survived another one...no need to ask if you're gonna get back on...glad you're okay! Know not of pleasures if not the pain...

Quick Reply: It was the best of time, it was the worst of times! Or superhawk down 12/10