General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

repsol synthetic motorcycle oil - have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:42 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
repsol synthetic motorcycle oil - have a question...

so today I went to get some oil for my bike and they didn't have any 10w-40 honda oil... so I went ahead and got some repsol 10w-40 synthetic oil and went on home. changed it in and went for a ride... First impressions were the tranny seemed to shift smoother and the motor did honestly feel slightly smoother... So a thumb up there. Now here's my question... On the way home from my ride I decided to try and clutch second... Well it kicked up a little but the clutch didn't seem to chatter like it did before with the other oil and well it didn't come up as high... Now maybe I did it wrong but there's no reason that a motorcycle synthetic oil would make our clutch slip would it?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Some have debated possible slipping with Synth oils, I have never experienced any ill effects from any synthetic oils and I have used them in all my bikes, trucks, etc. I have only good things to say about them. To me if there is some clutch slip the benefits of the synthetic oils with regard to reduced wear, reduced viscosity breakdown, etc outweigh the problem. Just my $1.380 (inflation)
Old 07-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RickB
Some have debated possible slipping with Synth oils, I have never experienced any ill effects from any synthetic oils and I have used them in all my bikes, trucks, etc. I have only good things to say about them. To me if there is some clutch slip the benefits of the synthetic oils with regard to reduced wear, reduced viscosity breakdown, etc outweigh the problem. Just my $1.380 (inflation)
It really should not effect the clutch. Many years ago, some Auto Syn oil was causing clutch slipping. The myth continues, even though non of the current crop of fully syn oils seem to be an issue. I prefer Silkolene,but no matter what you choose. It really should not be an issue.... Never the less....
EngineNoO9it's your bike,, you would know if it was acting different before and after the oil change.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:14 PM
SuperBike

well I dunno... I'm thinking it's in my head about the clutch... I might go out and try to clutch it again and really see if it's changed... I'm not very good with clutching and haven't tried very much so I'd be willing to bet that I'm not doing it right and/or I'm not doing it the same as I've done in the past
Old 07-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
well I dunno... I'm thinking it's in my head about the clutch... I might go out and try to clutch it again and really see if it's changed... I'm not very good with clutching and haven't tried very much so I'd be willing to bet that I'm not doing it right and/or I'm not doing it the same as I've done in the past
Bottom line,, if it's slipping.. you'll notice in a high gear, and good amount of throttle.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
SuperBike

it wasn't slipping. just went out and tried
Old 07-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
it wasn't slipping. just went out and tried
Outstanding,, there ya go
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Well, Nicky thanks you.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
It's the higher moly content oils that would cause the slipping, I believe. Supposedly HP-4 has a little bit (<-very descriptive) in it.

In a related note, I look forward to the day when I have to put stiffer springs in the clutch basket. I really like the stock clutch right now though.