General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Air Box is Weird - Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Squid

Tsperez is on a distinguished road
Air Box is Weird - Need Advise

I removed the tank on my new to me bike so that I could check the air filter. I think I have an OEM filter but I am not sure. If it was a K&N I was going to clean it but it is glued to the air box plate and the plate has a Honda number on it. It's OEM unless the K&N glues to the existing plate inside the air box.

What is weird is that the breather bottle inside the air box is removed. I was expecting the PAIR being blocked or removed but it appears to be totally intacted. Is there a purpose for removing the white bottle inside the air box?

Hope to get an answer soon but I have a second air box with the parts inside. I plan to flip the PAIR reeds and block off those hoses and install the breather bottle from my second air box. I'm sure it's there for a reason.

Edit: Also notice that the secondary foam filters are totally gone. I might use the ones from the second air box if I can remove them without tearing them up.

Picture of existing air box attached.

tsp
My Blog: Motorcycle Touring
Attached Thumbnails Air Box is Weird - Need Advise-image.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Squid

This is the inside of air box #2 showing the breather bottle and secondary filters.

tsp
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Squid

I have one of these in air box #2. It was loose inside the air box. I would assume that 2 are needed if they are to be used. It is a perfect fit on the carb breather area (see photo). But if you place it on top of the foam filter the plate does not fit properly.

Anybody have an idea what this part is. It's a rather soft rubber type of material.

tsp
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The rubber "block" is used with a K&N filter as they are not molded in like the stock filter.

Yes the foam sub-filters are very important to have in place and yes I would run with the breather bottle in place.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Squid

Surfer & Hawk,
Thanks guys for your help. I already put the bottle in the air box and I cut some secondary filters from some foam I had around. It's not perfect but better than nothing. I'll order the main filter and secondary filters this week.

And yes, I think the rubber block is left over from the K&N filter that owner #1 installed. I got a box of extra stuff so the second one must be in there some place. I'll run the OEM main air filter for now. Btw, I am still amazed how quick the bike starts. It fires up right away every time (except when I had the kill switch off).

It's 12:30 AM but I want to finish it to see how it runs. I'm going to block off the PAIR reeds right now. I got the block off plugs at Advance Auto today. I hope I can get the hoses off the valve under the air box. I don't want to remove it tonight. I have to remove it again soon to replace all the filters anyway.

Once again - THANKS,
tsp
PS: Big projects planned are RR and CCT. Well... not that big but bigger than what I have done to the bike so far.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 AM
Squid

Done! Breather system inside of air box is back to OEM style. In addition I blocked the reed valves, capped the covers, small vacuum line, and the PAIR inlet to the bottom of the air box. The vacuum operated valve is totally removed as well as the lines that ran to each cam cover.

Thank you VTRSurfer and 8541Hawk for your help.

tsp