General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Squid

evil-kev
air box

whats up people anyone no if modifying the air box will inprove performance i have heard that drilling wholes in top of box will inprove are intake do i need tune or will it be ok also is there any air filters available for mounting straight onto the carb without air box i have k and n pannel but would like cone filteres of can be done or if anyone has done it thanks guys
Old 03-06-2006, 08:24 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Hello and welcome!

Leave it alone. None of the engine builders that I know of have ever used individual filters on the VTR either. Search threads on K&N's vs stock.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:34 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Re: air box

There has been plenty of discussion on this recently. Have a read and you will see.

The short version is that none of us can give you a good tip here. Removing the lid is a no no. I will be experimenting in due course, but no answers yet.

If you are keen, you will need to do some careful development. I think there will be some advantage to be found, you just need to go looking!
Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I think the box is only modified for Stage III jetting, which is very rarely done. I haven't heard of any benefit from modifying the box in a non-race setup.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Agree with ALL, don't mess with your air box unless you want to 'hop down' you bike. Too much engineering design work goes ino them. There was a time (1975) when what you are suggesting did work but no longer. JIM
Old 03-08-2006, 03:10 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Re: air box

This is true, airboxes are carefully designed now.

Unfortunately for us one of the parameters is noise. Induction noise is significant on a motorcycle, and to pass a ride-by noise test it is important to keep this noise down to a minimum, so manufacturers use things like snorkels etc to do this. The ride-by test is an important one here in Australia. So we quite often end up with air intakes that are quiet, but not set up for the best performance.

Some registered dirt bikes are a good example of this. The race version quite often has an open airbox, and the street version usually does not.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
I think the box is only modified for Stage III jetting, which is very rarely done. I haven't heard of any benefit from modifying the box in a non-race setup.

what if you have a stage 3 jet kit already.... like me... gut it and try and do like a full ram air??