General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Advice / Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Squid

Kymera is on a distinguished road
Advice / Opinions please

Hi all,

I need some advice. I have 2000 Honda Superhawk (Firestorm) with the stock exhaust. I always wanted to upgrade and was finally ready to start looking but a couple of questions have come up for me.

I’ve always liked the high mount look but I use the bikes for trips at times and do use saddlebags. I suspected with high mounts that would be out of the question is that correct? Also, I’ve noticed there isn’t a lot of choice. Few items on ebay and in a lot of online stores the hawk / VTR1000F doesn’t even show up. I’m currently looking at some low mount LeoVince cans, Yosh’s, Two Bro’s but open to others. Anywhere else I should look in particular?

Also do you really get any improvements in performance, mileage? Are there any drawbacks?

After reviewing a lot of the posts on the forum I guess the question is really, is it worth it? I like the bike a lot but I’m wondering if I should bank my money and look at other upgrades.

Any thoughts, advice, opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Suspension stock? Upgrading the suspension is always time and money well spent. Wish I would have done mine sooner. Better feel and more confidence is better than more noise. I'm older now.....
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
What are you trying to get out of the exhaust? Better sound(louder, softer)? Performance? Shape? Color?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
RIPI
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
Round high mounts rule! D&D makes a great product and are excellent with their customer service! Saddle bags are tough on the hawk either way without brackets...
Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by tomzxt
What are you trying to get out of the exhaust? Better sound(louder, softer)? Performance? Shape? Color?
I would have to say performance first but sound is important although I'm not interested in waking up the neighbor on my early morning rides. Shape and color not so much although if the exhausts were not appealing to the eye it would influence my decision.

Originally Posted by jefejrs
Suspension stock? Upgrading the suspension is always time and money well spent. Wish I would have done mine sooner. Better feel and more confidence is better than more noise. I'm older now.....
Right now the bike has SS brake lines, aftermarket air filter, and shimmed carbs so it's fairly stock. No suspensions mods but I have been considering it. My local shop is owned by a former honda tech who raced these bikes in the early 2000's and he has the bike running really well and he suggested the exhausts for the weight savings and performance. Even asked me if I would consider selling it a while ago.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
D&D's are the loudest you're going to be able to find. Their race packs add substantial performance to the bike too. I used to ride with Vance & Hines, they look really nice, but eh. Never was a fan of Two Brothers. Too many squids up here with those on their bitch bikes. It irks me to no end. However, if you're going for the FULL exhaust changeout, Two Brothers offers the best increase in performance if you're willing to shell out the money. Yoshimuras are generally quiet until you get going pretty fast, then they create more of an ear-shattering/glass breaking effect. The tri tips sound sweet on the ZX-14's.
I personally Love my D&D's.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AK Ronin
I've had mine on 3 days and I couldn't agree more!!

Huge weight savings over stock, which you will notice when you lift up those oem cans. With that reason alone an exhaust upgrade is worth your $$$.

Last edited by Wolverine; 07-21-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Squid
Squid

sethday is on a distinguished road
I got a SWEET set of CF Jardine hi mount and love them (Thanks 97Wolverine). Not too loud, but just right. I am going to explore into saddle bags next. I have seen (recently) a member that had hi pipes and saddle bags that worked together. If you can fond some members near you it might be worth it to meet up with them and see what you think (sound and looks) of the exhaust they have on their bikes.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AK Ronin
D&D's are the loudest you're going to be able to find. Their race packs add substantial performance to the bike too. I used to ride with Vance & Hines, they look really nice, but eh. Never was a fan of Two Brothers. Too many squids up here with those on their bitch bikes. It irks me to no end. However, if you're going for the FULL exhaust changeout, Two Brothers offers the best increase in performance if you're willing to shell out the money. Yoshimuras are generally quiet until you get going pretty fast, then they create more of an ear-shattering/glass breaking effect. The tri tips sound sweet on the ZX-14's.
This is pretty good though I personally think the D&Ds are a bit too loud. So I run one of the exhausts you left off which are the Leo Vince cans. You can 3 different "loudness" settings with the baffles they give you and can go for "stock" quiet to a fairly good rumble just by the different combinations. They are also some of the best made slip ons I have ever installed. Yes I'm biased but the really do install very nice.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

mput is on a distinguished road
I'm running Erion Racing slip ons. Sound great deep rumble below 5k and the roar of a race v8 above. I noticed a slight drop in mileage with the cans and jetting and the V-brake isn't as strong with less back pressure. Runs quite a bit stronger good performance gains. Ok to average build quality TERRIBLE fit.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
My Erions installed very nicely and I love the sound and weight savings! I wanted high mounts for asthetics, but after talking to a few people, I'm glad I went standard.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

Originally Posted by ranchomice
My Erions installed very nicely and I love the sound and weight savings! I wanted high mounts for asthetics, but after talking to a few people, I'm glad I went standard.
My mid pipes never sealed to the header very well always leaked untill I found the IFAQ on SuperHawk996.net. The right can started moveing in the hanger at about 12,000 miles. After 300 or so miles it will rotate till the springs catch and stop it. Just expected a little more from a at the time all honda outfit.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
You can do the bafflectomy also. It's pretty much free and sound awesome. As good as any aftermarket exhaust i've had on previous Superhawks. I was skeptical at first, but i'm a believer now. I did the full bafflectomy by the way.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I personally think the D&Ds are a bit too loud.
I was planning to eventually trim about 3-4 inches off!! After riding w/ this:
Name:  DSC03372-1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  26.1 KB
I want louder! Trimmed Sato carbon cans = the best sounding bike on planet earth (IMO). He recently sold it, so I have the need to replace that V2 song.

And mput, I challenge you to post a sound clip of a twin that sounds like a race v8. I've heard quite a few V4 Interceptor's that sound that way, but a V2???
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
This is pretty good though I personally think the D&Ds are a bit too loud. So I run one of the exhausts you left off which are the Leo Vince cans. You can 3 different "loudness" settings with the baffles they give you and can go for "stock" quiet to a fairly good rumble just by the different combinations. They are also some of the best made slip ons I have ever installed. Yes I'm biased but the really do install very nice.
oooopppssss. Forgot about those. Although I've heard them quite a few times, I never really like the sound for some reason. A little too whiney from what I remember. Maybe I heard a different baffle set on them? But an interesting sound nonetheless. Those Vance and Hines make your bike sound like its an electric motorcycle. Kind of funky, but once you get above 5K Rpms they ROAR. I've never had issues with installing cans though. I always liked the look of the SP2's from V&H, they were more boxy than the cylindrical look. (By the way, I need to sell mine, inquire if interested, Sorry for posting here). The D&D's installed in less than 10 minutes.
There was someone on here selling those blue Erion cans earlier, those things looked sweet. I've never heard Erion before though, I just know that they're redonkulously expensive. I think the rarest exhausts though are those Devil's. I still remember a buddy of mine not being able to get those for his Hawk back in 2000. They had a set on a bike at the shop though, he said they sounded crazy, louder than the D&D's. Kudos to anyone who has those. Especially to the guy who had the Devil shotgun ones too. Those things were epic.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well as we have ended up there, the real rare set ups are the Moriwaki cans, The Akro cans or system and the real rare bird, the M4 complete system.

There are many more that are not made anymore.

Though I will say I ran Erions for around 10 yrs. The last very well and sound good but are pretty loud.

I guess I'm getting old as I would like to only set off some of the car alarms when I come home at 1 or 2 am....... or when leaving early in the morning.

Also my decision to run the Leos is that they can be made a quite as the stock system. The reason for that is if you want to do a Laguna Seca track day you need to have stock exhaust (which I can get around with the inserts)

So as they all make around the same power (except for some of the full systems but you really need engine work to get the real benifits from them) choose which ever one you think looks the best, or sounds the best if you have a chance to listen to them.

I would just suggest to stay away from the carbon cans as some of them don't do well or live very long on a big twin
Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Running Two Bro. Carbon fibers(C-5s?) ovals, low mounts. Using Nelson-Riggs sport
saddle bags. Have good clearance to mufflers, mounts at 4 points. Rear straps to my indicators, front to rear stays passenger peg bolts.
With stock cans good bottom end, quiet -heavy. Can hear the motor spoolup. Notice a flat spot at about 4500-5500(slight). With the 2Bros, good mid-top end. No noticable flat spots. I can feel the difference in weight and the sound is deep and throaty. Cagers can hear your coming-passing etc. Usually give me alot of room I notice during and after passing. Have to be careful about idling for long periods of time(never had then burn yet). Got about 40k on them now. I repack/seal when they get loud. As
8541Hawk mentioned, V-twins are hard on them. Once in a while I swicth back and forth(getting older too -can get loud at times). But I always end up putting the carbons back on(after repack). The feeling and sound is just so addicting to me.
These are not available anymore so I try to keep them happy. Worth the effort to me. ) .
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
I was planning to eventually trim about 3-4 inches off!! After riding w/ this:

I want louder! Trimmed Sato carbon cans = the best sounding bike on planet earth (IMO). He recently sold it, so I have the need to replace that V2 song.

And mput, I challenge you to post a sound clip of a twin that sounds like a race v8. I've heard quite a few V4 Interceptor's that sound that way, but a V2???
I've heard full length Sato ti's on a rc 51 indeed one of the best sounding bikes i've ever heard. And stay tuned I'll post a sound clip sunday. We have the "Super pull of the South"(tractor pull) here this weekend the population swells form 3500 to 15,000 one weekend a year. Yee haw duleys and drunken douchebags not rideing in that.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
heres a couple shots of my Jardines with saddle bags. Motocentric bags.
Ive been running them a little while now and no signs of wear from heat or anything. They come with heat shields and the shields dont have wear signs.
My cans dont really get that hot anyway. By the way I love my Jardines.
Sounds good from idle. Blipin the throttle... and up on the r's.
I just bog it when I want to stealth thru an area.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:10 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
jeephawk, thats a nice setup. the second picture loks like a Great Weekend to me!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
my .02

My '02 has Erions since new & even went down on left side w/ them about 8 yrs ago - still fine. As stated by others above, sound good w/out being too loud + weight savings.

I put them on w/ a K&N & Stage 1 Jet - w/ that set up gas mileage is shyte.

Anywoo, I also have Nelson Rigg bags (just got em for trip to F1 in Montreal last year - Didn't use VTR though as the converter unit took a ****)

I always use a Givi Top case - had since new, Eclipse tank bag + Eclipse seat pack.

W/ all that - I'm ready to run away from home @ a moments notice

Pic from Vt trip in '09

Name:  Rt100WardsboroVt.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  119.3 KB
Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Squid

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback, lots of useful info. Unfortunately while I was working this weekend the bike died. Appears to electrical as the battery keeps dying. I'm getting it checked out today. If it's not the battery then there goes my exhaust fund $$$ as I'm told a stator might be expensive. Oh well, at least I have the funds to pay for it and keep riding.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kymera
Thanks for all the feedback, lots of useful info. Unfortunately while I was working this weekend the bike died. Appears to electrical as the battery keeps dying. I'm getting it checked out today. If it's not the battery then there goes my exhaust fund $$$ as I'm told a stator might be expensive. Oh well, at least I have the funds to pay for it and keep riding.
possible stator, but more likely the battery and R/R calamity.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by nath981
possible stator, but more likely the battery and R/R calamity.
I believe you are right. I did some research this morning and decided to check it out. The PO had upgraded the R/R and gave me the original that he said still worked. The upgrade however appears to be a stock Honda R/R and while I'm not sure what happened to it just from looking at it I have no doubt it's bad. So I swapped in the 'original' for now until I can get a 'true' upgrade. I'll do some testing tonight to see where the battery is recharging.

With any luck, which has been in short supply for me lately, I might still be looking for some new cans after all!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kymera
I believe you are right. I did some research this morning and decided to check it out. The PO had upgraded the R/R and gave me the original that he said still worked. The upgrade however appears to be a stock Honda R/R and while I'm not sure what happened to it just from looking at it I have no doubt it's bad. So I swapped in the 'original' for now until I can get a 'true' upgrade. I'll do some testing tonight to see where the battery is recharging.

With any luck, which has been in short supply for me lately, I might still be looking for some new cans after all!
2 things: 1) when you buy a battery, charge it according to the manufacturers instructions;and 2) when you put the cables on your battery, put the hot(+) on last, and the ground on first. I always do it the other way, but when I did it, the new R/R started smoking. I'm sure it doesn't always work that way, but accord to one member who is electrically savvy, this can precipitate what happened to me.