General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

[Buyer's Advice] 2000 VTR1000 vs 2005 VTR 1000 vs 2007 Hornet 919

Old 03-14-2016, 08:29 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Why not an SV1000, TL/TLS/TLR, or any other fuel-injected v-twin? Granted there are some in here that will say they own a Ducati, Aprilia, other sport bikes, but in the end they'll still keep the VTR, but there is nothing like the simplicity of a FI bike that allows you to easily tune it without removing the carbs 19 times to get it just right.
i have a duc 1098, two aprilias(rxv550 and mxv450), a firestorm(superhawk). i have also owned an rc51, gxxiers, etc...
my superhawk was my first vtwin. it got me hooked. i bought my 1098 and didn't see the need to keep my rc51. i was wrong and should have kept it.
so i still have the hawk and 1098. i mostly ride my aprilias in the dirt with my son, but for street bikes, i prefer the superhawk over the 1098. it is much comfier, user friendly, etc... it is more enjoyable to ride. i am not even going to insure my duc for the road this year. the fact that i am getting older has an large impact on this situation.
in your situation regarding your two up riding, the comment about looking at a vfr is a solid recommendation. that is a nice bike.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:42 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Heresy I know, but a Suzuki RF900 is a surprisingly good bike two up, and a pretty good handler. Plenty of those for cheap $$ around here. I owned one for 16 years and have fond memories. None of the VTR's character or the VFR's sophistication, but a damn good solid torquey stable bike.

If you do go with the VTR, then fitting a Ventura L-bracket and grab rail combo will make your pillion feel more secure. I leave mine on simply to make it easy to put the bike up on the race stand.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I love my SH, I'll never sell it, but my friend has an SV1000 which I rode extensively. I admit it's a great bike out of the box. Ok, suspensions are crap like on the VTR1000f and need upgrades, brakes are way better, shifting is dead on, and the engine a bit more responsive. It's the FI....and man, I'm tired of the carb **** I have to deal with every few yrs. If you can squeeze the budget for it, my take is go for an FI bike all the way. Cheaper to maintain and once you get used to the simplicity of a PowerCommander, can't look back.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Because he wants a bike that can go around a corner.
If you think those can't go around a corner, then I don't know what you think the Superhawk is capable of, because those are superior to the Superhawk in terms of cornering. In fact, if you're having that many issues, the fault lies in you as the rider and not the bike.
The SV1000 has some wonky front suspension in stock form much like the Superhawk does, but sorting the suspension on it and getting a ZX10r or GSXR rear shock helps to instill confidence in riding it just like valving the suspension helps on the Superhawk.
Though we have established that the OP doesn't have those bikes within his budget, don't spout nonsense like that.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 03-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
If you think those can't go around a corner, then I don't know what you think the Superhawk is capable of, because those are superior to the Superhawk in terms of cornering. In fact, if you're having that many issues, the fault lies in you as the rider and not the bike.
The SV1000 has some wonky front suspension in stock form much like the Superhawk does, but sorting the suspension on it and getting a ZX10r or GSXR rear shock helps to instill confidence in riding it just like valving the suspension helps on the Superhawk.
Though we have established that the OP doesn't have those bikes within his budget, don't spout nonsense like that.
Just because you've heard they are good doesnt mean they are. Ive ridden a few. Ive also passed some on the track, on my Superhawk.

BTW the OP came round the other day and hopped on my Hawk for a sit. He knows my views and can make up his own mind.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:09 AM
Squid

The End is on a distinguished road
Well guess who bought a VTR today?

Managed to get a 2005 VTR 1000 in red with 43,000 kms on the clock. Pretty tidy for its age/mileage.

Took it for a 100km ride after picking it up and am very impressed. Love the sound with the Two Bro's pipes on it...

Slightly sore as I'm not quite used to the riding position, but with time that'll improve.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help/suggestions along the way!

Name:  AOw6CeDr.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  334.5 KB
Old 03-21-2016, 01:05 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the fold, nice looking bike.

Wonder how long it will be before the OCMD bites !

Have fun.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:25 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Welcome to the fold, nice looking bike.

Wonder how long it will be before the OCMD bites !

Have fun.
Well first thing will be to modify the stock CCT

Edit:

And then rim tape, maybe a seat cowl, shorty levers.

Oh no it's happening already.........

Last edited by The End; 03-21-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
There ya go mate!

4 years in and still going, have a long list of things to do and parts are backing up.

You are in fine company with your fellow countrymen.

Keep us informed !
Old 03-28-2016, 08:14 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
If you do opt to buy a seat cowl, they are available new from Honda, I paid (i think) NZ$170 for mine (or you could pay US$83 +shipping).
Old 03-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Cadbury64
If you do opt to buy a seat cowl, they are available new from Honda, I paid (i think) NZ$170 for mine (or you could pay US$83 +shipping).
I've ended up picking up a modified seat from NZSpokes, as I was (and even more so my pillion partner) having issues with sliding around on the stock seat constantly.

The new modded seat is much more comfortable and grippy, however wouldn't fit a seat cowl on the top.

Bike is currently at the dealer I bought it from getting the front end sorted...something is wrong with the brakes.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:02 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
What? At a stealer? Whats wrong with the brakes?
Old 11-18-2019, 03:13 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
Get the one with the mods, you'll end up doing them anyway, it'll save you some time. Forget the 919, inline 4's are horrible unless they are bigger than 1000.cc.
AV