General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

[Buyer's Advice] 2000 VTR1000 vs 2005 VTR 1000 vs 2007 Hornet 919

Old 03-08-2016, 03:18 AM
Squid

The End is on a distinguished road
[Buyer's Advice] 2000 VTR1000 vs 2005 VTR 1000 vs 2007 Hornet 919

Hi,

I currently have a 2007 Hornet 919, which I for the most part love and enjoy riding.

I've spent a bit of money over the nearly 2 years I've owned it - Danmoto exhausts, mirrors, adjustable levers, new indicators, braided lines, 520 chain conversion, Power Commander 3 and a few others bits and pieces - these have helped make it more 'mine'.

Why am I on the Superhawk forum?

I'm currently looking at purchasing either a 2000 or 2005 Superhawk - both bikes are located at a dealer.
  1. I've always wanted a v-twin - I LOVE the sound... I'm a bit of a softy for a loud bike.
  2. I like the more sporty look when compared to the Hornet 919
  3. The lower mounted exhausts will mean I can ride without stinking out my partner's gear

2000 VTR1000 Firestorm - $5,995 New Zealand $

This bike is a 2000 model in black with a little over 41,000 KM on the clock. I'm yet to give it a test ride, however hope to do so later this week.

My hesitations with this bike is it is a 2000 model (now 16 years old vs. 9 years old on my Hornet 919 vs. 11 years old on the other VTR), and was apparently owned by a local motorcycle club instructor, which may mean it was used a lot on the track - hard wear and tear?

From the photos it looks to be in a tidy condition and has modifications as follows:

• front and rear suspension re-sprung and re-valved
  • Two brothers exhausts
  • Danmoto fully adjustable rearsets
  • carbon hugger/chain guard
  • adjustable clip-on bars with adjustable shorty levers
  • braided brake lines
  • adjustable cam chain tensioners
  • tinted screen
  • stomp grip on tank
  • rear seat cowl
  • ventura grab rail & mini indicators.

2005 VTR1000 Firestorm $5,495 New Zealand $

Tidy looking bike in red - has 43,000 KMs with the following known modifications (I am yet to have a look in person and test ride):
  • Two Brothers Exhaust

Comparing the two, the 2000 model is $500 more list price than the 2005 model. I would of course hope to negotiate the price down with the dealer, when trading in my Hornet for whichever model I go for.

I am aware of several key issues with VTRs - the biggest seems to be the cam chain. The 2000 model has this fixed, I am unsure if the 2005 model does.

Questions:

Am I better off buying the 2005 model which is 5 years younger than the 2000 model, but doesn't have all the fancy bits and pieces?
What are the important differences between the 2000 and 2005 models made by Honda?
Going from a fuel injected bike (Hornet 919) to a carburettor bike (VTR) will I notice any downsides?
Should I stick with the Hornet or get a VTR?

I've never owned a bike more than 10 years old (not trying to be a snob:P) so am just wary of buying something well used and old in case it is prone to breaking down...

Would appreciate some thoughts/feedback to help me make a decision!

Last edited by The End; 10-12-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:33 AM
Squid

Although the 2000 model has a lot of extra goodies included, it is an extra $500 list price more than the 2005.

I'm leaning towards the 2005 more because it is red (I think it looks better than the black) and because it is newer.

Although I would never be able to do all those mods on the 2000 model for $500 on the 2005 model.

So really its a case of buy a 5 year younger bike or not?

Last edited by The End; 03-08-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
The cam chain tensioners, re-valved suspension, and braided brake lines are worth more than the $500, and you will notice the last two. The rest is just eye candy. I don't think the 5 year age difference is a huge deal, but you really need to closely inspect both to tell the difference. Was one stored inside vs. the other stored outside?

With respect to the 919 - are you sure it isn't just way too rich, hence the stink?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by AndyMX47
The cam chain tensioners, re-valved suspension, and braided brake lines are worth more than the $500, and you will notice the last two. The rest is just eye candy. I don't think the 5 year age difference is a huge deal, but you really need to closely inspect both to tell the difference. Was one stored inside vs. the other stored outside?

With respect to the 919 - are you sure it isn't just way too rich, hence the stink?
Thanks for your reply.

I've tried nearly everything to get rid of the exhaust stink - I've reduced it's intensity, but having dual high mounted pipes with a low pressure zone behind the rider sucks back the exhaust fumes and coats whatever is near it.

The VTR's exhaust are much lower and out of the way, so this wouldn't be an issue.

Another question I had is what is a VTR like two up? I would do about 40% of my riding with my partner on the back.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Just make sure the CCTs are sorted (ideally manual tensioners) and especially on pre2001 VTRs get the R/R upgraded (ideally MOSFET) for reliability.

As for two up comfort that's a bit subjective - as riders position on he Storm can take some adapting to depending on the riding position you're used to. There's no grab rail on the back for pillion but aftermarket is available. Try getting a test ride before you buy.

With the Storm's tank range you'll be stopping for fuel around every 80–120 miles so I chance for stretch come what may...

With UK Euro VTRs there were difference between 97-01 01-05 models. Slightly different bar positions, larger tank [16L>19L] and different petcock, different clocks. Some of these changes didn't happen on US Superhawks - but as you're in NZ? best check on your NZ/AUS VTRs forums for the specific changes appropriate to your location.

Last edited by Wicky; 03-08-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
Just make sure the CCTs are sorted (ideally manual tensioners) and especially on pre2001 VTRs get the R/R upgraded (ideally MOSFET) for reliability.

As for two up comfort that's a bit subjective - as riders position on he Storm can take some adapting to depending on the riding position you're used to. There's no grab rail on the back for pillion but aftermarket is available. Try getting a test ride before you buy.

With the Storm's tank range you'll be stopping for fuel around every 80–120 miles so I chance for stretch come what may...
I'm only getting around 7.5 L/100KM on my Hornet anyway, which appears to be similar to the Firestorm/VTR, so fuel consumption isn't really a bother for me.

Is there anywhere that compares the changes made throughout the years the VTR was produced? Be interested to know what the differences are between 2000 and 2005 model.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:12 PM
SuperBike

There was only a revision made in 2001 apart from colour changes made through the production run - with the differences I've previously listed (at least for UK models).

Later clocks are said by some be be less easy to read than earlier clocks, bars were ever slightly angled a fraction for comfort and tank size was increased. Have a search as its been covered a few times. You'll be able to see the differences if you go see the bikes and test ride them.

Last edited by Wicky; 03-08-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Squid

There was only a revision made in 2001 apart from colour changes made through the production run - with the differences I've previously listed (at least for UK models).

Later clocks are said by some be be less easy to read than earlier clocks, bars were ever slightly angled a fraction for comfort and tank size was increased. Have a search as its been covered a few times. You'll be able to see the differences if you go see the bikes and test ride them.
Thanks for that. I'm still hesitating with going to such an older bike but until I check it out in person I can't see for real what condition it is in.

I've read some conflicting opinions.

Does the 2005 model require a manual cam chain tensioner and upgraded reg/rec, or only the early models?

Last edited by The End; 03-08-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:17 PM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The End
Does the 2005 model require a manual cam chain tensioner and upgraded reg/rec, or only the early models?
All model years on this bike you will want to replace those two things, 2005 included
Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
SuperBike

A couple of other things to check that at least UK ones (used all year round) suffer from due to road salting esp - is the shock linkage bearings and the starter motor terminal connection under the rubber hood which suffer from corrosion. So listen for squeaky rear end and peek under the 'protectitive' cap.

www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - *** Read Me for New Members ***
Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Squid

A couple of other things to check that at least UK ones (used all year round) suffer from due to road salting esp - is the shock linkage bearings and the starter motor terminal connection under the rubber hood which suffer from corrosion. So listen for squeaky rear end and peek under the 'protectitive' cap.

www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - *** Read Me for New Members ***
Cheers, appreciate the link - I'll give it a read.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:04 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
I know the 2000 bike. Its been very well looked after and is very sorted. I was traded by the mature owner who is a track day marshal. He ran it in the top racer class here as a marshal. I have spoken with him many times. I believe it is jetted etc as well.

It was traded for a RSV factory with 4000ks on it.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:50 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
five years newer and $500 cheaper? get the 05
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by finepooch
five years newer and $500 cheaper? get the 05
Without upgraded forks, replaced CCT and a lot of other cosmetic stuff though.

Hence my dilemma with choosing between the two
Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 PM
SuperSport

Honda VTR1000 2000 | Trade Me
Old 03-09-2016, 12:24 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Ride both of them and then make a decision.

Price is negotiable I'm sure!

I have an 05 Ozzy delivered bike that has been a lot of fun, in fact I have had other bikes whilst owning it and am hard pressed to find a better all rounder.

Buy one and get ready for a large injection of character into your motorcycling.

Be warned , if you like tinkering this machine can lead to an affliction called OCMD!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Why not an SV1000, TL/TLS/TLR, or any other fuel-injected v-twin? Granted there are some in here that will say they own a Ducati, Aprilia, other sport bikes, but in the end they'll still keep the VTR, but there is nothing like the simplicity of a FI bike that allows you to easily tune it without removing the carbs 19 times to get it just right.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Why not an SV1000, TL/TLS/TLR, or any other fuel-injected v-twin? Granted there are some in here that will say they own a Ducati, Aprilia, other sport bikes, but in the end they'll still keep the VTR, but there is nothing like the simplicity of a FI bike that allows you to easily tune it without removing the carbs 19 times to get it just right.
Because he wants a bike that can go around a corner.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Because he wants a bike that can go around a corner.
Anddddd because those are out of my budget
Old 03-09-2016, 05:51 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by The End
Anddddd because those are out of my budget
Ive ridden a SV and lapped them on Hampton. Don't bother.

TLR would be fun. Once the back end is sorted.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Squid

Well I just so happened to check the for sale listing on the 2000 VTR, and as of tonight they have discounted the price by $1000 for a end of financial year sale (31st March in NZ)

I also managed to catch up with the previous owner and have a good long conversation about the bike and am really happy with it - he treated it very well and I feel a lot more comfortable about buying an old bike now.

12 hours until the dealership opens and I can do a test ride. In 13 hours I may well be posting a picture of my new bike!!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:58 PM
SuperBike

Good luck!

Hope you get it.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
That's brings the price down to a much more reasonable level (my opinion), but that's still just the point where you should start negotiating. I'm sure they're still not giving the bike away. Now they're just not ripping you off so bad.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and, hopefully, welcome to VTR ownership.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
That's brings the price down to a much more reasonable level (my opinion), but that's still just the point where you should start negotiating. I'm sure they're still not giving the bike away. Now they're just not ripping you off so bad.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and, hopefully, welcome to VTR ownership.
Previous owner traded it in for $4000, they had it listed for $5,995. Now it is sitting at $4,995. They've had it in the dealership since September 2015.

1 hour till shop opens....
Old 03-13-2016, 12:53 PM
SuperBike

Well?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Squid

Well...Went and checked out the bike and gave it a test ride.

All seemed well until I got my partner on the back - she was sliding around every time I accelerated or slowed down. The clip on bars on the bike are in a very aggressive riding position, meaning I am leaning forward a lot, which made it very uncomfortable for my partner - since we do a lot of 2 up riding it was a no go.

Combine that with the dealer offering me a stupidly low price for my bike as a tradein and I walked away...

However, I've found someone who has a custom seat which fixes the seating issue, and will hopefully be able to get a set of stock bars on the bike to fix the position.

I'm now waiting to sell my bike privately for the price it deserves, and once that is sorted I'll get the VTR.

So watch this space
Old 03-13-2016, 04:11 PM
SuperBike

Did you get the Firestorm engined XL1000V Varadero down under? Might be more suitable bike for you and your pillion.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Not belittling the our beloved Superhawk - but the VFR 800 of the same vintage is a great two-up machine.

Might be worth looking at.

Flame on Superhawk fans.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:12 AM
SuperSport

Did you get the Firestorm engined XL1000V Varadero down under? Might be more suitable bike for you and your pillion.

Yes we do, not a pretty bike.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by AndyMX47
Not belittling the our beloved Superhawk - but the VFR 800 of the same vintage is a great two-up machine.

Might be worth looking at.

Flame on Superhawk fans.
My 1200 Bandit would chew a VFR and spit it out 2 up any day of the week.

Glad my beloved bought her own bike so I can ride my Hawk more....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Buyer's Advice] 2000 VTR1000 vs 2005 VTR 1000 vs 2007 Hornet 919