Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Under $4k econo-box recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Under $4k econo-box recommendations?

I might be needing to buy a second car, pretty much just for commuting maybe 30 - 40 miles round trip. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to spend much over four thou. I've been looking at some Ford Focuses (Foci ?) that fall into that range. All have over 100k miles, naturally.

Any recommendations? Or vehicles to avoid? Such as beat-to-hell Mitsubishi Eclipses?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
small Subarus and Hondas
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
small Subarus and Hondas
Yeah, I like both of them, but in my price range it seems like they usually have at least 200k miles.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
If you're patient and look around you can find clean low mile examples of late 90's early 00's cars like camrys and avalons within that price range. If you take care of them and keep them clean they'll basically be bulletproof and you can probably sell them a couple years from now pretty much for what you paid for it. I've also seen a few 100k mile tacomas in decent shape for less than that, which again is not alot of mileage for them as long as they haven't been beat to heck. You can also pick up a ford taurus for really cheap. The 3.0 engines are bulletproof, but the transmissions can be troublesome. I've come across a few old lady extremely low mileage examples for cheap, otherwise I'd only buy one with a recently rebuilt trans with receipts. I'm sure there are many other examples but that's my experience. I'd always try to find the cleanest lowest mile car for the money.

Last edited by captainchaos; 01-22-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Driving a Focus is similar to driving a tractor... Clunky controls, and odd configuration of powerband vs gears... Just saying... I'd choose something else...
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Try doing a craigslist search under $5k (figure you're gonna talk the price down some). Look for garage kept and low mile cars (use stuff like "garage" and "miles" or "only miles" in the keywords search) and I'm sure you can find a good car within that price range.

And I mentioned those cars because you said econobox-assuming you're looking for a good reliable daily driver and not filming an episode of top gear
Old 01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Try doing a craigslist search under $5k (figure you're gonna talk the price down some). Look for garage kept and low mile cars (use stuff like "garage" and "miles" or "only miles" in the keywords search) and I'm sure you can find a good car within that price range.

And I mentioned those cars because you said econobox-assuming you're looking for a good reliable daily driver and not filming an episode of top gear
That's right: just basic transportation that I won't have to dump another thousand into right away. Good search tips. Ideally it's something that hasn't had 26 owners and isn't being sold 6 months after the current owner just bought it too.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Driving a Focus is similar to driving a tractor... Clunky controls, and odd configuration of powerband vs gears... Just saying... I'd choose something else...
I like tractors . Used to have an old Ford 9N when I lived out in the country, but it would have a tough time on the freeway.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with eclipses? Got 160000 in mine.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by zmaniv
What's wrong with eclipses? Got 160000 in mine.
Actually I love Mitsubishi's in general and have had a couple Galants and a Montero Sport, but at least around here, most of the Eclipses in that price range have been beat to hell by teenagers.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I just finished looking last year in that price range for something for my daughter. wasn't happy with any of the small cars in that price range either re: quality, drivability and crash test results. The focus was OK but really cheaply made and high miles. We ended up getting a 2001 beetle - 70K miles. It drove better than anything comparable and so far has been great. granted its more of a girls car so that may make it not an option. But passats sometimes go cheap. Little things like check engine light come on frequently but if you stick wiht the simple engine they are pretty reliable.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Squid

General Maximus is on a distinguished road
Some of you guys are recommending cars that are very difficult to come by cheaply in salt and road cinder country. The cars that I see in that price range around here are total junk. But going south to Florida, they are everywhere. I am assuming that some of the same nicer cars are available to you guys in the Southwest too.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I like the 9N on the freeway. Dual Turbos, Dual Turf Tires - can you imagine? Civic become the new putting green. Grind them up, spit them out - plant grass.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
I've flipped a bunch of $4-5k cars. Look for 200k mile Honda Accords, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, Subaru Outbacks, Toyota Celicas, and Toyota Avalons. I also recommend the Toyota Pickup with the 4cyl (22RE). The 2wd ones go for pretty cheap. Most of those are easy to work on. I personally hate VW after having to work on a friends Jetta. I called that car satan's spawn and wanted to set it on fire several times.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
If you were closer, I have a 2000 nissan Altma, with less than 100k. I would sale you.. It is just sitting.. (Bought the wife a 2005) it get driven about 300 miles a month..
Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...811114003.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...801376930.html

Just some clean examples from searching on autotempest.com.

Last edited by jaypo; 01-22-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaypo
I've flipped a bunch of $4-5k cars. Look for 200k mile Honda Accords, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, Subaru Outbacks, Toyota Celicas, and Toyota Avalons. I also recommend the Toyota Pickup with the 4cyl (22RE). The 2wd ones go for pretty cheap. Most of those are easy to work on. I personally hate VW after having to work on a friends Jetta. I called that car satan's spawn and wanted to set it on fire several times.
Everything exactly like he said it. I've seen a friend and my brother have complicated and expensive problem with jettas. I drove a 99 nissan sentra for awhile and it was the most boring and mundane car ever but would have trusted it across the country at a moment's notice. Check the cv boots on all of those front wheel drive cars.

And loving my *new* 22r 1987 toyota. It's my only vehicle besides the superhawk and runs like a champ- I work on it just for fun cause it's pretty damn easy. The 4wd drive ones can get a little pricy b/c they seem to be a good find in the rock crawling community.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
toyota pickup , corolla, camry, older civics (ie older than 01)