Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Winter Apparel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Squid

mks8882
Winter Apparel Recommendations

I'm fairly new to riding, bought the SH in February. This will be my first winter and I wanted to get everyone’s opinions on winter riding gear. Mainly Jackets, gloves and pants. I just want to get an idea of what’s out there so I'll know what to look for. I would like to have a jacket with a removable liner so I can wear it in the summer, but if the ones with removable liners aren't as warm in the winter as others I'll get one w/o it. Thank in advance!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Back Marker

Utah996
ICON and Joe Rocket come to mind, or at least that is what I have been looking at. They have a number of jackets that are decently priced. There are a few other companies, but nothing is coming to mind.....
Old 10-11-2005, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Apparel Recommendations

Is this for commuting or general riding?

Basic recommendations:

Get black so you won't ever have to worry about "matching" bike colors.

Have you thought about a heated vest? This will keep your interior body regulator/thermometer toasty and allow it to pump more warm blood to all your extremeties thus keeping your warm all over.

IMO, leather will be a 3 season gear in the hot/humid south. Plan on a mesh/textile jacket for the really oppressive months.

Get waterproof boots.

Buy roomy so you can add layers.

Think about getting overpants (especially if you commute) which by design are roomy too.

Here's what I'd get in the jacket department. FirstGear has first rate (pun intended) quality. That it has huge vents and you can get amour would seal the deal for me:

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_t...acket_page.htm

Plus it will look good off the bike as a normal winter jacket

Doug
PS I'm in the deep south so what I know about cold I learned from the internet!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Squid

mks8882

This will mainly be for commuting to work and school. I like the firstgear jacket, but I will probably go with a textile one so it won't be so hot in the summer. I didn't know about the heated vests, I'll have to look into those too.

Anyone tried one of these? http://newenough.com/hjc_balaclava_page.htm

Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
Alpinestars drystar suit for cold weather and leather for the rest of the year - perforated? http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/alpin...ystar-suit.htm
Old 10-11-2005, 03:40 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've come to the conclusion that you need a winter riding set and a summer set.
Seems anything warm enough to ride when it's really cold will be too hot for summer use.

Mesh for summer
Cortech or leather insulated for winter
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
I agree... summer and winter riding is completely different for me....

110 in the summer and 40 in the winter...

I have a mesh Motoboss for the summer... nice and the wind goes thru, but has built in protection as well as removeable ones for double protection...

I bought my SH in June.. so the Motoboss jacket was great... now its dropping into the 50's at 0430 and I needed something to keep me warm and safe... Check out my post on the Frank Thomas Leathers... I wear a T-shirt and a thermal and Im fine... face mask is needed though... BRRRRRR
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I hope you're seeing a "trend" here.

If there was a be all/end all piece of gear that could cover it all (and lot's claim to) we'd all be wearing it! Think of gear as an investment for years to come (hence my reference to not color matching) and get both. Heck, it will be nearly a year before you need summer mesh again. Plenty of time to save up for it.

Doug
Old 11-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Squid

kfkraenz

I ride year round in New Jersey and even made a road trip to Michign last Thanksgiving on the bike. The best advice I ever got from some guys in the polar bear club here in NJ was to go electric. I amost always have my vest with me it goes in the tank bag with the rain gear year round. I will be tosty warm at 55 with vest, mesh jacket, and raincoat over mesh jacket. This way in spring/fall I can wear my mesh jacket to work at 10am when it is 80degrees and not have to worry about how cold it will get by 10pm when I got home. Obviously in the winter up in the north east, a warm jacket and sweatshirt are requried.

Your two main choices in electric clothing are widder and gerbing. I went with the widder, it is a little cheaper. If you want your arms heated don't get the widder "arm chaps", they are worthless. If you want your arms to be warm get the gerbing jacket liner which is one piece. As you can see at their web sites, you can go crazy and get heated pants, gloves, socks. I'm not sure if the hawk can power all that, but a vest is just fine as long as you keep the bike running while plugged in. Don't laugh a friend of mine was all warm and happy while we were filling up with gas and talked about our rout home. He tuned his bike off, but left the vest on. When he went to start the bike nothing happened. Have you ever tried to push start a BMW LT before???

Also, look into getting somethign like the underarmor shirts from a sproting goods store. You want a thin layer between you and the vest. Anything you put between you and the vest "insulates" you from the heat the vest puts out.

Enjoy your winter riding...
Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad

I second the First Gear recommendation. I only have one piece of JR left and will be replacing it with more First Gear soon.

I bought this for my winter jacket. Here in PA I've been able to ride every month of the year for the past two. Not everyday, but a few days in January in Feb when the roads are good. First time riding with snow alon the roads is a very surreal experience. I also enjoy being the only motorcycle on the road at that time.

The only problem I have is the area under my chin. I have a balacalava, but it isn't enough. I'm looking for a heavier one.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:24 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by penst8grad";p=&quot
"]

The only problem I have is the area under my chin. I have a balacalava, but it isn't enough. I'm looking for a heavier one.
Maybe one of these might help with the chin freezing problem.
It's their 'wind stopper' version.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=1343#
Old 11-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Squid

rhu5

My cold weather gear consists of a Motoport cordura jacket (waterproof with a zip-out insulated full liner), Belstaff Typhoon overpants, a pair of Tourmaster waterproof/ insulated gloves, a balaclava I've had for years that I purchased from a bicycle shop, a fleece scarf from Old Navy and a pair of Gaerne Strada Plus boots that recently replaced my combat boots.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
penst8grad, I'm in you're neck of the woods.

Hutingdon-Tipton-Huntingdon commute all 5 days this week. Chilly in the mornings (30-40), but worth the ride home. Lots of layers, a balaclava, and cold weather gloves. I have a pair of heated grip elements sitting on the bench at home. Maybe I'll find time to install them this weekend.

About 40 minutes one way. Any longer would probably not be fun.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the "First Gear" products. I have a "Kenya" jacket and I love it. It vents well for a 3 season jacket. I would recommend getting 2 of everything. One for cold days and one for hot days.
Joe Rocket makes a jacket that is a combination of both vented and non vented. It is called "Alter-ego".
I would also recommend waterproof boots(gore-tex). In addition, I also use two different helmets for different weather. My Shoei X-11 is for hot days(vents well) and my Arai is for cooler days. I also recommend "Over pants". Preferably waterproof. Helps keep out wind. Get the best gloves to keep your hands warm. Posers go for looks, real riders go for comfort.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Superstock

woodman

If you are commuting and need to wear street clothes this should work good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIELD...19487020QQrdZ1
I own Fieldsheer jacket and pants and the guality is as good as any other I have had. I also own a pair of Firstgear mesh pants and their guality is also good.