Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Racing in North America

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Racing in North America

So, I am not a NASCAR fan at all, but I caught myself watching the end of the race and thought, what if all the races were only 30 laps? Maybe 3 races at each track, on the same day. So I started watching what is some of the best racing on the planet:
BTCC
ATCC
DTM
JGTCC

As I was watching this, I started thinking about what we have available to watch here in the states, ALMS, which sucks. Why can't we have racing based on real cars, that drive down our roads here in the , and is fun to watch? I am tired of booogity and the 70 IQ announcing that we have, the racing that can be watched from 20-30 laps from the end with no effect on the enjoyment received, and the absolutely no existent cars and "technology" development that has nothing to do with the street. What do you think?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I feel you. I'm not a diehard nascar fan but I've been to Daytona several times and it is much more exciting to see in person, and once you have it's much easier to become a fan. I'm not a fan of how every damn thing is pasteurized and homogenized with the "car of tomorrow," etc. Too much hype, advertising, sponsors, corny commercials. I understand the times and the business, but it gets in the way. Not that I was old enough to remember it all but I liked the cars from the 70's and 80's because they looked like real cars and the race car drivers didn't all have to be tv personalities. As for the announcing that bullshit goes for every sport-nascar, football, tennis, whatever. Pregame, postgame, it's really annoying. It's too much-they never shut up-over-analyze everything, over-report the obvious, always take shots at the athletes like they could do any better, etc. My friend in college used to watch tennis and mute those idiots and turn his radio on lol. As far as racing though I like classes where the cars and bikes at least resemble production models. But prototype classes are cool too. Racing isn't nearly as appreciated in the this country though as it is elsewhere, and seems to have really gone down the toilet here in the last decade or so. I grew up playing baseball, played some college and semi-pro. I don't watch it anymore because I think they all get payed too damn much whether or not they win or lose.

I guess you could make any kind or racing a short sprint race. You get the most exciting part that way, but I think you do miss out on alot too. I guess there is supposed to be alot of strategy and tire/fuel conservation included along with the end of race ***** to the wall sprint to the finish. Anyway I do agree I like racing where the cars and bikes are somewhat based on what you see on the street. And the racing scene does suck here, but I think alot of it has to do with the fact that the fans (and therefore the money) just aren't there.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
I quit watching car racing because it was getting too boring. I can't bring myself to watch a NASCAR race. F1 became a high speed procession. WRC coverage is just a highlight reel, ALMS is a joke, how can you watch a race with 100 different classes on the course at the same time and the only passing consists of the prototypes passing the sports cars? I can't even look at the TV when drag racing is on. It has come down to WSBK and MotoGp for me. Far more action on two wheels anyway.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess some people like to watch NASCAR and good for them.

What I can't stand is that there's a lot of racing that I would like to watch, especially those times when I'm in a hotel room with nothing to do - which I fortunately do not have to do as much any more - and all they show on SPEED is Pinks and Superbikes, or whatever they call that dumbass stunting show. What a waste.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
all they show on SPEED is Pinks and Superbikes, or whatever they call that dumbass stunting show. What a waste.
Remember when MTV used to play something called MUSIC videos? Be nice if they went back to that, and Speed just showed racing from around the world.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Another "Remember when" for ya

Remember when NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing ) lived up to what the acronym stood for: STOCK CAR AUTO RACING.

Nothing stock in there anymore!

I suppose I'm spoiled. In Waterford, CT there is the Waterford Speedbowl. 1/3 mile banked oval track. Go a little north, got the Thompson speedway, 5/8 mile banked oval. I forget the name of the series, but they are stock frames, with minimal over-bore on the engines, ...........Some good racing. Short races, good sprints. Good stuff. Stebddt will know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Remember when MTV used to play something called MUSIC videos? Be nice if they went back to that, and Speed just showed racing from around the world.
Dem was da days. I miss SpeedVision.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
V8 supercars from Austrailia has got to be the coolest i have ever seen. Always door banging ,fast racing. And meaty sounding.. Bathurst is an awsome track over there. I think they need Motogp there.. Check it out on youtube.

Mercedes and Audi touring cars from Europe is good too..

Every country is so big into moto and car racing. Its like football in the US..
Old 02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
One week to WSBK.........
Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 PM
SuperBike

Here is my problem with "tire and Pit strategy". Unless we are talking about endurance racing, what the hell is the point of watching cars go 200mph in a circle with minimal passing for 5 hours? Its great noise to fall asleep to, that is about it. And I agree with the statement about ALMS, there are 20 odd different classes that you can't make heads or tails of, and the courses like daytona are completely uninspiring. They call that an 11 turn road course?! And they call Miami a grand prix?! Give me a break, do a grand prix start, something atleast resembling a prix, maybe drivers in capri's.

It sucks when you have to look outside of your country for a good doorbanger race. The US sanctioned races are a no touch group, so there is very little banging doors to the front of the pack. AND WHAT HAPPENED TO SPEEDVISION????? I am stuck watching tow trucks, WTF.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... Technically the rules say in all European classes that you can't bang doors/rub fairings... But since we let French and Italian drivers/riders on the track that rule goes out the window as soon as you start an engine... You ever tried driving in France? They don't gauge the hole before trying to go through it... They turn around afterwards and say "See, I made it through..." And if you show a rulebook to an Italian he just starts checking of the stuff he usually does from the list...
We swedes have another approach... Give us a rulebook and two racers and you have an discussion to last until the end of time.... No racing... So we keep the rules to a minimum...

As long as it's clean fun, no one bothers to much...
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
SuperBike

When I was working with racing teams, any contact that upset the car and made you lose a position was grounds for some strong words and official investigation. I love seeing those cars banging up against each other. It just shows you how close they are. The other part of it is that they have balanced the rules for each car so that any brand can win, even though they are front or rear drive, hatch or sedan.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
One week to WSBK.........
+1

And, "Go Roger Lee Hayden!"