Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Obama's Gonna Fill My Gas Tank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:25 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Obama's Gonna Fill My Gas Tank!

Remember that woman, back in 2008 just before the election...."Obama's gonna pay my mortgage, Obama's gonna fill my gas tank".

If Obama has his way, we will be paying $5 to $7 per gallon. Just 2 days after he declared war on the oil companies during his Oval Office speech, I've seen gas go up 16 cents per gallon, in less than 24 hours.

Yesterday at the local Chevron station.......................$2.99/gal

This morning at 10:45 when I filled up to ride Ortega...$3.09/gal

After ride fill-up at 1:45 pm (3 hours later).................$3.15/gal

All these prices were at the same station.

I'm not in any way trying to trivialize the Gulf oil spill. But from the beginning Obama has had an agenda, which is to use this tragedy as leverage to get "Cap and Trade" passed. And the longer he waited, the worse it got...which works more to his advantage.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
I agree. I like how Obama says that BP will pay for all the clean up costs and everything but in all actuality, it is going to be us taxpayers that end up paying for this damn spill. We will feel it at the pump. I too have seen prices go up at the pumps in my area. But If it werent for Obama taking his sweet *** time on getting on BP to fix this then I think that we could have had some better results. I went on BP's website and it says that so far their so called "cap" has capured 179,000 barrels of oil. I think thats a crock of poo. I really dont think anyone has done anything to help seal this leaky well. just my .02
Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Who did you think was going to pay for the compensation measures and improved safety (i.e. profit margins) on all the oil rigs?

Funnily enough us Brits have been paying a shedload more on gas (http://www.petrolprices.com/), the more expensive it is the more the government rake in on taxes...

Last edited by Wicky; 06-17-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Cap and Trade is indeed what this "accident" and all the subsequent handwringing and government posturing is all about. How convenient for Obama that he didn't have time to make good on his promise to allow more offshore drilling before this occurred and nipped that idea in the bud, as if it was ever going to be allowed to happen.
Curious also how Goldman Sachs and BP CEO Tony Hayward sold 40+ percent of their stock in BP before the "accident." Curious also that the head of Goldman Sachs international, Peter Sutherland, was chairman of BP until last year and is a board member of the Trilateral Commission and a Bilderberg attendee. Goldman Sachs has always been behind the cap and trade scam upon which the long sought after one world government will be funded.
All of this is mere coincidence I'm sure.

Last edited by killer5280; 06-17-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
That is some interesting info killer. WOW.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
He's welcome over here with a can or two... I'm giddy with joy since we just went below $6 per US gallon equivalent for the first time since 3 years...

So sorry, I'm not too symphatetic about your $3.something...
Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I think I read something about the pentaverate...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctEDHm0OKms

I know, I just can't give it up.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think all the other oil companies should lower prices and watch BP suck it up with their billions they have stashed away. Think about it. If nobody else raised prices and BP was the only one who did, who would buy their oil? Nobody.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
He's welcome over here with a can or two... I'm giddy with joy since we just went below $6 per US gallon equivalent for the first time since 3 years...

So sorry, I'm not too symphatetic about your $3.something...
Sorry Tweety, I've been aware of the high gas prices over there for years. It's just that we have a leader with an agenda to raise the price of all of our energy uses by huge amounts. I know that there is a limited supply of fossil fuels, but it's not going to run out until way after everyone alive today is long gone. Sure we need to look for alternative sources of energy, but he's betting it all on windmills and solar. Al Gore will make a ton of money off of that. And he wants to finance his projects by raising our energy costs.

I live about 5 miles from a nuclear power plant, and I don't worry about growing a third arm out of my chest.

If the oil companies weren't forced to drill in such deep water, we wouldn't have a disaster of this scale. There is a huge supply of oil on the North Slope, and the caribou actually love getting close to the warm pipeline in the Winter.

Not to mention the fact that Obama played 6 rounds of golf between when the rig blew and his meeting with the CEO of BP. That meeting was 58 days after the start of this mess. He did have time in there to meet with Bono and take in a Paul McCartney concert though.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Might be emotionally satisfying for some folks to trash BP right now, but who gets punished? The board of directors and upper level management? Not hardly. Their personal fortunes are protected, that's a big part of what "incorporation" is all about. If BP goes bankrupt, they take their knowledge, skills and fortunes to another multi-national corporation.

Investors then? 40% of BP stock is owned by Americans, much of it in the pension funds of cops, firefighters and other public employees.

Salaried employees? Definitely. BP employs twice as many Americans as Brits. If BP goes bankrupt, who pays for the unemployment, food stamps etc. for tens of thousands of BP's American employees? Assuming you have a job and pay taxes, you do. Careful what you wish for.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:46 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RE; BP

Everybody ***** up sooner or later. Most people sooner AND later.

The last guy who maybe didn't **** up died on a cross. Folks were so impressed they named a religion after him.

Last edited by RK1; 06-18-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Remember that woman, back in 2008 just before the election...."Obama's gonna pay my mortgage, Obama's gonna fill my gas tank".

Here's audio from Detroit. Obama cash from Obama's stash;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZ-Etb0k0Q
Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Sorry Tweety, I've been aware of the high gas prices over there for years. It's just that we have a leader with an agenda to raise the price of all of our energy uses by huge amounts. I know that there is a limited supply of fossil fuels, but it's not going to run out until way after everyone alive today is long gone. Sure we need to look for alternative sources of energy, but he's betting it all on windmills and solar. Al Gore will make a ton of money off of that. And he wants to finance his projects by raising our energy costs.

I live about 5 miles from a nuclear power plant, and I don't worry about growing a third arm out of my chest.

If the oil companies weren't forced to drill in such deep water, we wouldn't have a disaster of this scale. There is a huge supply of oil on the North Slope, and the caribou actually love getting close to the warm pipeline in the Winter.

Not to mention the fact that Obama played 6 rounds of golf between when the rig blew and his meeting with the CEO of BP. That meeting was 58 days after the start of this mess. He did have time in there to meet with Bono and take in a Paul McCartney concert though.
Well, I'm used to it... It's everyday life for me...

At least around here the politicians have a some form of semi-coherent plan... They actively encourage going from fossile fuels to alternatives instead of raising all energy prices... It could just be that if they tried that the majority of people would unplug themselfes from the electric grid completely as the prices are more than high enough already...

My parents are living in a house that has ground thermal for heating, solar for hot water and solar & wind for electricity... And with though through isolation and such, they are infact putting power into the grid on about 75% of the time during the summer half of the year... Less than 2% of the summer consumption is actually drawn out of the grid when the weather is bad or the need spikes... Not as good numbers in the winter but around 50% of the time they break even...

All of this is built out of scrap with a few new'ish parts added in... All of it cost less than a new house to build if you used a contractor... My father, bother and me did all the work on building & designing... (Yeah, they are about as nuts as me... ) My mother was responsible for telling us what not to do...

You can reduce your carbon footprint a lot... and it's actually an economical gain to do so...

Now, I'm not a hippie... I frequently pollute that earth with my 2 & 4 wheeled toys... But I "pay it back" by doing smart things... And as soon as I get it done, my in city car needs will be met by an EV converted car built by myself... So far testing says it outperforms the Chevy Volt on all specs... And it cost about the equivalent of a door mirror on that car...