Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Montreal guy spending vacation in the US

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Montreal guy spending vacation in the US

Hi guys,

I'm looking into spending my vacation in the US. I'd drive from Montreal. Only place I went is Virginia Beach. Where do you recommend I should go to have fun. I want the beach, the nightlife, activities........
BTW, I'm going with the girlfriend. I'm looking into renting a condo or house.

I'm going somewhere between the 2 last weeks of july.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You'd have a good time down here.......but it's toooo hot right now and it's rainy season....As the thunder claps in the background....humid as hell to. Atlantic city....or has that gone to crap?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Yeah well I was wondering about that..... are the thunderstorms supposed to last till the end of July..... I got to decide quick if I want to rent something.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 AM
MotoGP

All sumer long.....unless there's a Hurricane. The normal storms aren't too bad, lots of lightning and rain for a couple of hours and then the sun comes back so it turns into a giant steam bath....but other than that it's GREAT.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you want to trailer a motorcycle, try North Carolina. Lake Lure and Chimney Rock are really nice. Very quaint (GF will like that ) Riding in that region is awesome. Black Mtn is not too far away and there are great restaurants in town. My wife and I spent an entire week in the area on vacation in June and it's the best vacation either of us has ever had. Lots of ridin', eatin', and scrumpin'!!! We stayed at the Lake Lure Inn & Spa http://www.lakelure.com/inn.htm.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:50 AM
MotoGP

+1 The wife and I use to vaca up there alot, really nice area.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
I hear the Blue Ridge mountains in North Carolina are awesome (not exactly near the beach).

I've never been but I have been researching NC for some time now as a possible place to relocate. So far everything I've read or heard indicates this is a very nice state to visit or live in.

The North Carolinians (sp?) on the forum will have more local knowledge.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:07 PM
MotoGP

Seems everyone is thinking of relocating there, my wife and I are going up there in July to check out the southern part of N.C. and the northern part of Georgia.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have been through the Blue Ridge Mountains and they are real nice... probably even better if you're on 2 wheels

Rick B
Old 06-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Squid

Quebecer
Cool, I really want to be close to the sea though. Is Myrtle beach a nice place to go. I heard it's a golfer's paradise....but what about the night life...activities. That might be the reason why I should drive a few hours more to go down in Florida......though if the weather is crap.... I might have to deal with partying in a polo shirt :-)
Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Hotel with a fake beach in Las Vegas possibly?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Quebecer
Cool, I really want to be close to the sea though. Is Myrtle beach a nice place to go. I heard it's a golfer's paradise....but what about the night life...activities. That might be the reason why I should drive a few hours more to go down in Florida......though if the weather is crap.... I might have to deal with partying in a polo shirt :-)
Myrtle Beach is nice, but if you don't have a rental yet, then good luck....Also check out Gulf Shores, Alabama, on the Gulf Coast, white sandy beaches, lots of fun stuff to do, lots O Bars to party in...Lots of Golf...I grew up there. Price wise, not bad considering what you get....

or even Destin FL, freat place to snorkel, white sand, etc....little more expensive IMO....

Links
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Gulf+Shores,+AL

http://www.alagulfcoastchamber.com/

E-mail or call this guy and see if he has anything as far as rentals go...he is a personal friend of mine
http://www.jeffsellsthegulf.com/webs...r/JeffJackson/

Hope that helps...
Old 06-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Squid

GoBlu
The nightlife is not too bad, it kind of depends on what you are looking for. If you want "spring break" style, you had better go farther south. For just an all around good time, there are a lot of different places to go. It just depends on the age and type of crowd that you are looking for. If you want to golf, you will not find a better place to vacation...
Old 06-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Well I was talking about golf 'cause I'm scared the beach will be overtaken by elderly man comming back from the golf course. I don't play gplf myself. All I really want is to see palm trees, hang on the beach, do a few activities and go out in cool bars watch local bands. Nothing to spring brakish. I'll be with the girlfriend after all. Sure if I can save 10 hours of drinving I'll be happy.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Quebecer
Well I was talking about golf 'cause I'm scared the beach will be overtaken by elderly man comming back from the golf course. I don't play gplf myself. All I really want is to see palm trees, hang on the beach, do a few activities and go out in cool bars watch local bands. Nothing to spring brakish. I'll be with the girlfriend after all. Sure if I can save 10 hours of drinving I'll be happy.
With the exception of the driving thing you pretty much described where I live. Only your neck will be sore and you cheeks red (compliments of the GF) from all the tan skin in bikiniis and surf shorts.

I never made the golf course and beach connection...definately avoid nude beaches in those areas. ;-)
Old 06-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
With the exception of the driving thing you pretty much described where I live. Only your neck will be sore and you cheeks red (compliments of the GF) from all the tan skin in bikiniis and surf shorts.

I never made the golf course and beach connection...definately avoid nude beaches in those areas. ;-)

Thanks. I hold you personnaly responsible for the nasty images in my head right now !!!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:32 AM
Superstock

Lol
:-)
Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Seems everyone is thinking of relocating there, my wife and I are going up there in July to check out the southern part of N.C. and the northern part of Georgia.
I thought you were going to N. Fla? I really like the lake Hartwell, GA/SC Border.

As far as vacation on the beach, what about Myrtle Beach? Atlantic City has gone to crap from everything I've been told.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

That was the plan until we started looking at the schools! We're looking at an area right around the tri-state border called Suawnee and some other areas in July. We used to vacation in that area and always had a good time and the schools are SO much better tan FLA. so we thought we'd check it out. Plus there's like 6 tracks within 4 hrs!!! I wasn't sure about A/C it's been a good 15 years since I've been there.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

That was the plan until we started looking at the schools! We're looking at an area right around the tri-state border called Suawnee and some other areas in July. We used to vacation in that area and always had a good time and the schools are SO much better tan FLA. so we thought we'd check it out. Plus there's like 6 tracks within 4 hrs!!! I wasn't sure about A/C it's been a good 15 years since I've been there.

You moving ??
Old 06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx
You moving ??
Trying to, the market here has really slowed down and I'm trying to get the house looking tip top so it might be a little while.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Ah, I see,,,,

I just Passed my State and National Real Estate Exam, so I will have my lic, once I decide which Broker I want to make rich...lol...
So anyone in Texas that needs to buy or sell a home, let me know, and in a week or two I can take care of you....Just for the record I am not listing or selling, nor am I implying that I am listing or selling until my broker has my lic in there office....gotta cover my ****.....

feel free to contact me....
Old 06-22-2006, 04:13 AM
Superstock

Send me a PM when you return if yo don't mind. I'd like to hear your impressions and find out more on the schools. I will be going to NC in October to have a look.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:17 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
Send me a PM when you return if yo don't mind. I'd like to hear your impressions and find out more on the schools. I will be going to NC in October to have a look.
No problem Bird.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Back Marker

Superhawk22 'cmon down to Tejas. No state income tax (we make up for that with property taxes), good economy, great schools, and a few tracks within driving distance.:-D

Karl
Old 06-22-2006, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

Too far from my parents...it's going to be hard enough for them and my kids to be 12hrs apart my Mom is already almost in tears. But my wife's father lives just outside of Houston so we do visit from time to time. Oh and thanks for the invite though.:-D
Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Back Marker

Too far from my parents...it's going to be hard enough for them and my kids to be 12hrs apart my Mom is already almost in tears.
Totally understand. My parents are in Tucson, sister in NE Arizona, and my brother in CO. We're leaving for Tucson this w/end and it will be the first time in a long while where everyone will be together.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Myrtle Beach

My girlfriend and I are now looking to go at Myrtle Beach. Any of you guys could recommand a clean not-expansive motel or b&b. Doesn't have to be on the ocean but close to the beach. It's really hard for me to make reservations from here, the only info I have is phone numbers. I don't have a clue what the places look like. Your input is really appreciated.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Yeah well the hell with it. I don't feel like driving for 20 hours. So ... just bought a trip to Cuba. OOOOOOHHHHHH YEAHHHHH !!!!!! That's gonna be sooooo sweeeeet !!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
It seems that all the cannuck's go to the Wildwoods NJ. Very close to A/C. Next year we cet a new race track http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/.
Sweeeeet!