Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

I'll never do it again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'll never do it again!

Got engaged this past weekend, fellas. Such a terrible experience that I daresay it'll be my last time

One of the guys I worked with is a machinist and helped me make the ring; it was a pretty cool little project. I've got one more round of polishing but the timing was right so I handed it over. Band is titanium, rock is moissanite:

Cheers to propagating ancient traditions of unknown origins and modern tax exploitation!
Attached Thumbnails I'll never do it again!-10250311_10152158083607637_6769722365817295807_n.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Great news Ian!! Congrats to the both of you.

Excellent idea and execution on the band (extra points there)!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Congrats man! I like the fact you made the band yourself. Not many people can or have the means to do that. I think it's pretty freak'in cool.

Did the same a few years ago myself. Got one of them rocks, those ah...Hearts On fire diamonds, that's what it was. She loved it. Still loves it.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Congrats Ian! Be sure to post up a picture of the wedding ring she makes for you.

And relax. After one more round of polishing, the hardest part of the whole marriage thing will be behind you.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, you have to buy her yet ANOTHER ring for the wedding. I know, right? I was like, "What? I just spent thousands of dollars on this ring, and now I have to buy another one!?" Seriously, I honestly did not know. Nobody told me.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
congrats man! best of luck on your journey together! hope she appreciates the work that went into that ring. means much more than anything store bought.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Congrats Ian! Be sure to post up a picture of the wedding ring she makes for you.

And relax. After one more round of polishing, the hardest part of the whole marriage thing will be behind you.
I've been married 45 years and yes after the ring the rest has been a piece of cake. lol
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Squid

tillyhawkrider is on a distinguished road
CONGRATULATIONS!!! As a retired master toolmaker I can appreciate the fine craftsman-ship and the time invested in the production of a VERY nice ring. My very best wishes to you and your bride. My hope for you is that the wedding will be just the beginning of a joy
that will last a lifetime.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:05 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Is there more than two in this relationship then LOL

Congratulations and I too like the idea of making a ring. As Jcobey says it means more. It's like the difference between a shop bought greetings card and a home made one one where you think up the words.

(:-})
Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Beautiful, distinctive ring! And congratulations on your engagement.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Nice!

In 1981, I alloyed my own gold and lost-wax cast my wife's wedding ring (I can't wear gold or silver due to skin sensitivity but am not sure about titanium or platinum).

I machined the wax with a cutting bit I ground myself into what could be described as a ball-bearing race which smoothed edges so as not to cut delicate skin.

I hope you left enough "meat" in the ring to remove enough metal to size-up, because after kids and the years and decades go by, most women's fingers get a bit plumper. Seriously...
Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the engagement. Very nice ring. I really wanted to make my rings but time just didnt allow.

Yeah, ringmaking is way harder than marriage.....

Depends on the ring and the girl.

Godspeed on your journey.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! cool ring.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:02 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Congrats man! Just as long as you didn't make the same mistake I did. Sold my first Hawk to buy a ring. Took several years before I could get another Hawk and she ran off before the big day.

That is awesome you made the ring yourself!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
Congrats man! Just as long as you didn't make the same mistake I did. Sold my first Hawk to buy a ring. Took several years before I could get another Hawk and she ran off before the big day.
Wow that's a rough start, but sounds like you dodged a bullet and have a hawk again!

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I hope you left enough "meat" in the ring to remove enough metal to size-up, because after kids and the years and decades go by, most women's fingers get a bit plumper. Seriously...
It should be able to go 1/2 size up? It's already crazy how much her hands change during different altitudes, temps, and times of the day. In looking for ways to make it, I highly considered the loss wax method. That looked really fun to try, but I decided to take advantage of my access to a great machinist and his tools.

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, you have to buy her yet ANOTHER ring for the wedding. I know, right? I was like, "What? I just spent thousands of dollars on this ring, and now I have to buy another one!?" Seriously, I honestly did not know. Nobody told me.
Well, I know her size, so I'm planning on just making another one .

Originally Posted by cybercarl
Is there more than two in this relationship then LOL
Uh, I never said I gave the ring to a girl.

Originally Posted by cybercarl
Congratulations and I too like the idea of making a ring. As Jcobey says it means more. It's like the difference between a shop bought greetings card and a home made one one where you think up the words.
Fortunately she happily goes along with all of my pseudo philosophies and frugality. I have a hard time playing Disney movie while simultaneously supporting gender equality because they feel mutually exclusive most of the time. But she's having fun and likes sparkly things so I'm not taking myself too seriously, haha!

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Then it's soft stuff like throw pillows and picnics on grassy knolls, right?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
That about sums it up; but, throw pillows are the second hardest thing.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:42 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Congrats, Ian! I would expect that the ring would reflect your unique talents. It's beautiful and again, a great reflection of your vision. May you step together into the glow of the future.