SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   I'll never do it again! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/ill-never-do-again-31982/)

7moore7 05-02-2014 06:06 PM

I'll never do it again!

1 Attachment(s)
Got engaged this past weekend, fellas. Such a terrible experience that I daresay it'll be my last time ;)

One of the guys I worked with is a machinist and helped me make the ring; it was a pretty cool little project. I've got one more round of polishing but the timing was right so I handed it over. Band is titanium, rock is moissanite:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1399079125

Cheers to propagating ancient traditions of unknown origins and modern tax exploitation! :cheers:

Wolverine 05-02-2014 06:26 PM

Great news Ian!! Congrats to the both of you.

Excellent idea and execution on the band (extra points there)!

CruxGNZ 05-02-2014 07:19 PM

Congrats man! I like the fact you made the band yourself. Not many people can or have the means to do that. I think it's pretty freak'in cool.

Did the same a few years ago myself. Got one of them rocks, those ah...Hearts On fire diamonds, that's what it was. She loved it. Still loves it.

VTR1000F 05-02-2014 07:44 PM

Congrats Ian! Be sure to post up a picture of the wedding ring she makes for you.

And relax. After one more round of polishing, the hardest part of the whole marriage thing will be behind you.

CruxGNZ 05-02-2014 07:58 PM

Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, you have to buy her yet ANOTHER ring for the wedding. I know, right? I was like, "What? I just spent thousands of dollars on this ring, and now I have to buy another one!?" Seriously, I honestly did not know. Nobody told me.

jscobey 05-02-2014 08:09 PM

congrats man! best of luck on your journey together! hope she appreciates the work that went into that ring. means much more than anything store bought.

thetophatflash 05-02-2014 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 372234)
Congrats Ian! Be sure to post up a picture of the wedding ring she makes for you.

And relax. After one more round of polishing, the hardest part of the whole marriage thing will be behind you.

I've been married 45 years and yes after the ring the rest has been a piece of cake. lol

tillyhawkrider 05-02-2014 08:55 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! As a retired master toolmaker I can appreciate the fine craftsman-ship and the time invested in the production of a VERY nice ring. My very best wishes to you and your bride. My hope for you is that the wedding will be just the beginning of a joy
that will last a lifetime.

cybercarl 05-03-2014 02:05 AM

Is there more than two in this relationship then LOL

Congratulations and I too like the idea of making a ring. As Jcobey says it means more. It's like the difference between a shop bought greetings card and a home made one one where you think up the words.

(:-})

comedo 05-03-2014 07:48 AM

Beautiful, distinctive ring! And congratulations on your engagement.

skokievtr 05-03-2014 09:00 AM

Nice!

In 1981, I alloyed my own gold and lost-wax cast my wife's wedding ring (I can't wear gold or silver due to skin sensitivity but am not sure about titanium or platinum).

I machined the wax with a cutting bit I ground myself into what could be described as a ball-bearing race which smoothed edges so as not to cut delicate skin.

I hope you left enough "meat" in the ring to remove enough metal to size-up, because after kids and the years and decades go by, most women's fingers get a bit plumper. Seriously...

smokinjoe73 05-03-2014 07:44 PM

Congrats on the engagement. Very nice ring. I really wanted to make my rings but time just didnt allow.

Yeah, ringmaking is way harder than marriage.....

Depends on the ring and the girl.

Godspeed on your journey.

RobertLever 05-03-2014 08:46 PM

Congratulations! cool ring.

GTS 05-03-2014 09:02 PM

Congrats man! Just as long as you didn't make the same mistake I did. Sold my first Hawk to buy a ring. Took several years before I could get another Hawk and she ran off before the big day.

That is awesome you made the ring yourself!

7moore7 05-05-2014 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 372276)
Congrats man! Just as long as you didn't make the same mistake I did. Sold my first Hawk to buy a ring. Took several years before I could get another Hawk and she ran off before the big day.

Wow that's a rough start, but sounds like you dodged a bullet and have a hawk again!

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 372254)
I hope you left enough "meat" in the ring to remove enough metal to size-up, because after kids and the years and decades go by, most women's fingers get a bit plumper. Seriously...

It should be able to go 1/2 size up? It's already crazy how much her hands change during different altitudes, temps, and times of the day. In looking for ways to make it, I highly considered the loss wax method. That looked really fun to try, but I decided to take advantage of my access to a great machinist and his tools.

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 372235)
Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, you have to buy her yet ANOTHER ring for the wedding. I know, right? I was like, "What? I just spent thousands of dollars on this ring, and now I have to buy another one!?" Seriously, I honestly did not know. Nobody told me.

Well, I know her size, so I'm planning on just making another one ;).

Originally Posted by cybercarl (Post 372247)
Is there more than two in this relationship then LOL

Uh, I never said I gave the ring to a girl.

Originally Posted by cybercarl (Post 372247)
Congratulations and I too like the idea of making a ring. As Jcobey says it means more. It's like the difference between a shop bought greetings card and a home made one one where you think up the words.

Fortunately she happily goes along with all of my pseudo philosophies and frugality. I have a hard time playing Disney movie while simultaneously supporting gender equality because they feel mutually exclusive most of the time. But she's having fun and likes sparkly things so I'm not taking myself too seriously, haha!

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 372234)

Then it's soft stuff like throw pillows and picnics on grassy knolls, right?

VTR1000F 05-05-2014 03:54 PM

That about sums it up; but, throw pillows are the second hardest thing.

nuhawk 05-08-2014 02:42 PM

Congrats, Ian! I would expect that the ring would reflect your unique talents. It's beautiful and again, a great reflection of your vision. May you step together into the glow of the future.