Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Check out a co-workers back tire!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Check out a co-workers back tire!

A guy I work with noticed his tire after a 200 mile ride this past weekend. He weighs over 350 and his wife was on the back. It's a Kawi Vulcan.

Thankfully he didn't ride it home. It was low on air and we told him it would probably pop if he tried to put more air in it. I just don't see how you can overlook something like this!! Dayum. My guess is he ran it low on pressure and it overheated causing the separation around the grooves. He says it only had about 10k miles on it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Looks like he did an oval race on it (left turns only).
Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
That's scary!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
my buddy's was worse than that. I don't have a pic of it though. When on our trip last month, on the last day, someone noticed the problem. He had three spots on the tire (square in the middle) that were even worse than that.

These pictures were the solution. We were about 2.5 hours from home. His was the BMW K1200LT. Another buddy's HD seemed to want to ride in the trailer as well for some reason. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Check out a co-workers back tire!-100_5024.jpg   Check out a co-workers back tire!-100_5025.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Looks like low pressure and running on a NASCAR track.

I assume your comment on the mileage is facetious.

... And he had his wife on the back?!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

the way that thing looks I'd be suspicious of an alignment problem. Since it's shaft drive, there's no adjustment, so that would only leave the possibility of something bent or installed wrong. has this bike been down before? I used to own one, but I NEVER had a wear pattern like that.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Squid

3Dcycle is on a distinguished road
im a tech at honda shop you would be surpised and maybe a bit horrified to see what people will do. had a guy bring his GW 1800 in on a trailer because he had no rear tire left, just the side walls. the tread was gone, not just worn off but the entire tread portion of the tire was missing. he said it happend when pulling a trailer. with him and his wife on the bike.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Back Marker

PappySmears is on a distinguished road
I am probably a little bit toooo vocal on this issue,, however if is see KOKheads who run tyres like this, and share the same road as my family does, I do warn them that I really dont give a *** if it blows and they break their pathetic little necks, but GOD help them if by chance they cant stop, or it blows causing and accident that would involve one of my family members. Then they would pray that they should have replace it when it was due!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
the way that thing looks I'd be suspicious of an alignment problem. Since it's shaft drive, there's no adjustment, so that would only leave the possibility of something bent or installed wrong. has this bike been down before? I used to own one, but I NEVER had a wear pattern like that.
Shaft drive torque twist will cause one sided tyre wear.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Back Marker

on a side note............ It is fairly obvious these Idiots do not even check their tyre pressure on a regular basis... Tell them to sell their bikes, and buy a bus pass and do us genuine bike enthusiasts a big favor!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PappySmears
Riding on nothing but straight roads will too, see it all the time in south Fla. All the roads are crowned, (some more than other), to get rid of water so if you're always going straight you're always leaning left to stay straight.
Seeing that's in Pa. I doubt that was the cause unless it was all highway miles.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Squid

uebergang is on a distinguished road
on a side note............ It is fairly obvious these Idiots do not even check their tyre pressure on a regular basis... Tell them to sell their bikes, and buy a bus pass and do us genuine bike enthusiasts a big favor!
Amen to that. but i now cant help to feal a little over cautious when i check wear and pressure befor every ride as the bike is warming
Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Riding on nothing but straight roads will too, see it all the time in south Fla. All the roads are crowned, (some more than other), to get rid of water so if you're always going straight you're always leaning left to stay straight.
Seeing that's in Pa. I doubt that was the cause unless it was all highway miles.

+1. Most all my tires (in 20 some years riding) wear more on the left side.

on a side note............ It is fairly obvious these Idiots do not even check their tyre pressure on a regular basis...
Couldn't agree more. If he checked the pressure ONCE this year he probably would have noticed something! I certainly don't do it every ride, but several times a season.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I work at dealership/ in the service dept. And it is posted on the wall in the shop "Stupid Hurts". Last month, A rider came in from the highway(from NJ) to buy a rear tire, when I went to check the bike in for service- THERE was black duct tape wrapped three layer around, with the metal cord sticking thru the tape...
Got to talking with the guy, 60 miles he had ridden on that .....
Sorry i should start take photos...
Old 10-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Squid

uebergang is on a distinguished road
most people "feal" safer turning left as well. its been a problem with getting/teaching my mates to try knee downs. left they find easyer then right. i have always put to down to the throttle being on the right side but thats just a guess
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
The secret to using duct tape, is not to use too many wraps. Two are OK, 3 or more, and it heats up and starts to move around on the tire. This is an old trick of the long distance guys, an emergency fix to get to a service stop or home at the end of a trip. Can be good for a 100 miles or so....

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
I work at dealership/ in the service dept. And it is posted on the wall in the shop "Stupid Hurts". Last month, A rider came in from the highway(from NJ) to buy a rear tire, when I went to check the bike in for service- THERE was black duct tape wrapped three layer around, with the metal cord sticking thru the tape...
Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 AM
SuperBike

these bikes don't have that kind of torque though. On a dyno, mine was about 55 HP and 60 ft lb of torque. In fact, here's the chart.

BikePics - 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Old 10-14-2011, 05:17 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
Originally Posted by trackdayhawk
The secret to using duct tape, is not to use too many wraps. Two are OK, 3 or more, and it heats up and starts to move around on the tire. This is an old trick of the long distance guys, an emergency fix to get to a service stop or home at the end of a trip. Can be good for a 100 miles or so....
Wouldn't it have been better for him to use silver instead of black so it would reflect more of the heat?