Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Buying a used bike advice

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Buying a used bike advice

I might be going to look at an 03 GSXR 1000 this weekend. He says it has never been down and has a clean title. It has 12K miles. First question is this high mileage for an I4? Second the price is pretty low( 3800). What should i look for to make sure this thing hasnt been thrashed?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Depends on the 12k were put on. If they were at redline, with no care/maintenance you can expect some problems. And make sure to 2x and 3x check the titles as sometimes the sellers can spit sunshine and sell s*&^.

The same principles go with all motorcycles, attempt to get as much information as possible.

My typical checklist for any motorcycle is
1. Check for frame damage/warping
This is going to give you the first idea of anything that may have happened to the bike that is really, really serious. Outside of plastic damage, places to look are on the cases, and look for dings and dents anywhere that would have hit the ground. This again is different for all bikes, for example, my old cb750k had wear marks on the rear swingarm and the exhaust headers, but I know what happened going into the deal.

2. Run a basic check on the bike.
My first start is with the oil. Pending on whether the bike is running or not, leave it go for anywhere from 10-12 minutes while you discuss the bike with the owner. Check the oil for metal flakes or any other dangerous appearances, if you see big chunks of aluminum, watch your ****. I always, always, always, always, always, always do a compression test on a bike. I've had 2 encounters (1 mine, 1 someone else's) where the compression was shot to hell on a bike that was running poorly and carbs were assumed to be the problem. I got lucky and it was the valves were out of adjustment, my buddy wasn't and cyl.1,3,4 on a v4 had blown rings; not a cheap repair as it was more than the value of the bike.
Run over all the fluids too, it doesn't take all that long, and just make sure that everything is the right color/consistency. Coolant overflow bottles are good ways to check instead of the rads, brake/clutch are good place to check for fluids, and test the suspension by grabbing the brakes to make sure there's no bends in them.

3. If at all possible, take a known good version of the bike out and know how it rides/feels (ect) and then pair that against what you might be buying. Sometimes more difficult to arrange, but I've actually had a lot of good reception with guys on local forums and being able to test bikes vs. what I might be buying. For more obscure bikes, good luck but as a gsxr1000 is somewhat common, find a friend of a friend whom will let you do that, usually takes a little bit of riding experience with that given person but you never know.

4. Make a reasonable offer on the bike by your best judgment.

With a few simple tools you can run a very good test on a bike. If it is someone shady, then just watch yourself; another bike will come along with the same deal that will be just as satisfying. Don't go there under the presumption you're going to buy the bike, go there looking to POSSIBLY, under the right conditions, have a new toy in your garage.

If you don't know what you're looking for, bring someone who does =)
Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Buy with your head, there are a million bikes available out there, don't think that this is the only bike you'll ever have a chance to buy. Assume there will be surprises when you get it home.

Why is the bike for sale? Look for stuff that is out of place for a 12k bike, are any major components new or out of place, "why is this right side fairing a different color/not showing wear compared to the left?" Ask to see service records, oil changes, valve adjustments, plugs, recalls, minor/major service. Does the seller seem knowledgeable about the bike in general, or is he a reseller? Are there any signs of crash damage to the levers, pedals, forks, frame, etc, etc. Does the bike pull to the right or left? Do you hear any strange noises in or out of gear? Is the clutch grabby? Can you let out the clutch in 5th gear without the bike stalling?(slipping clutch) Are the fork seals leaking?(stunter) This is just a start........
Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Superstock

OK so I went expecting the bike to be a disappointment. The only short fall was that the biki had 15k miles. Other than that it was beautiful. It was super clean with a beautiful white pearl paint job. Hid headlight, yosh slipon and undertail. Sure the miles are a little higher than I like but I think im gonna go for it. Thank you for all of your help! I will post some pics when I get it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
One thing I learned is to see how long the bike has been in the sellers name. If he put it in his name just a couple of months ago and he's selling it now, red flag.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
f4i's have been known to go over 150k miles with proper maintenance...

Edit: I totally didn't read the bike you were looking at correctly... my statement still sort of applies, but not as much!

Last edited by 7moore7; 03-07-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
So, call it a hunch, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that any bike that new with a white pearl paint job that isn't oem, is a crash damage repair. You best check for a salvage title. And if it is crash repaired, make sure the pretty paint job isn't blinding you to other glaring errors.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Superstock

Thats what I thought. But it has a clean title, the frameis flawless and so is the case.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Mileage

I have a 07 GSXR1000, has over 27,000miles on it now, never had a single problem other that it eats tires.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Superstock

yeah thats what ive heard. This 03 rides like a dream so i can't imagine what your 07 is like.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
I have a 07 GSXR1000, has over 27,000miles on it now, never had a single problem other that it eats tires.
Did you have your valves adjusted at 15k? I read that this is recomended. Ive also heard it isn't necessary.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by pwshadow
Did you have your valves adjusted at 15k? I read that this is recomended. Ive also heard it isn't necessary.
I checked mine at around 8,000 or 9,000 as I was having some top end noise! All the valves where in range. Turned out that the Cam-chain tensioner was not moving! Once adjusted the bike got quieter. Have not touched it since then. My bike see lots of track days. Only weak point of Gixxers are the front brakes on track, for the street they are fine. Not that much of a difference from your bike to mine. They are to fast really!!! but lots of fun.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I just recently bought an '04 gsrx 1000 for 3200, it has 7k miles on it, and 2 out of the last 3 rides scared the **** out of me, it sat for the last 5 yrs. so after changing everything and adding a lil sea foam to the last 2 tanks of gas. its scary fast, I love riding my SH but this thing is gettin sold as soon as the title comes back, lol, mine does have a salvaged titile cuz the dumbass hit a semi trailer in a wheelie, lol, his ignorance, my gain right? anyways this bike is crazy fast so........lookin for sumthing a lil slower like my SH
Old 03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by offroad_rider2008
I just recently bought an '04 gsrx 1000 for 3200, it has 7k miles on it, and 2 out of the last 3 rides scared the **** out of me, it sat for the last 5 yrs. so after changing everything and adding a lil sea foam to the last 2 tanks of gas. its scary fast, I love riding my SH but this thing is gettin sold as soon as the title comes back, lol, mine does have a salvaged titile cuz the dumbass hit a semi trailer in a wheelie, lol, his ignorance, my gain right? anyways this bike is crazy fast so........lookin for sumthing a lil slower like my SH

This might make some people mad but I actually sold my hawk this weekend to get the Gixxer
Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by pwshadow
This might make some people mad but I actually sold my hawk this weekend to get the Gixxer
Not really. What really makes people mad is when you sell a GSXR1000 to get a Superhawk!

Both bikes are really good. I've owned my Gixxer for almost 3 years now, its a great bike. Can be a bit much for the street. Thats why I take it to the track a lot. Best thing about my bike is running it to the redline thru the first 3 gears! just amazing. Can wheelie of the throttle in 2nd super easy and will lift the front in 3rd if you bounce it up, and !!!!! has very occasionally lifted the front on 4th over a dip or slight hill. Just be careful where to try to max it out. You could end up going to jail real quickly. http://www.gixxer.com/forums/

Enjoy. I'm still looking for another Superhawk to replace the one that I sold about 3 years ago. I miss my Titantium grey Hawk. I love my Gixxer, but the Superhawk has a cetain character about it. Destined to be a classic. I think of them at modern day Vicents with those 2 big carbs.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 03-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.