Kieran is on a distinguished road
Get the Hawk

Then buy a Haynes manual.
Use a digital camera to photograph everything before you take it apart
Old 02-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
This thread makes me laugh. Not you Alexxia, your post is a good one.

What makes me laugh is the overwhelming response. If you would have been a 'dude', there would have been about three, maybe four responses at most. But, since you are a lady, well, you get the picture...

Welcome aboard.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I already said that. Just more succinctly. Who am I kidding? I just wanted to post in the lady's thread again.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 AM
Squid

Alexxia is on a distinguished road
With the superhawk out of the picture i did come across this.

Suzuki SV1000S 2006

I'm told the sv has bad ergos but has FI which is a huge plus for me

thoughts?

edit:since we're diverging. .. you'd be surprised how this whole lady rider thing works. Posters mostly seem genuinely helpful. Meanwhile at bike nights in person and even other forums, more than a few blokes get defensive about having a lady around them that isn't helpless or a mere passenger. It's strange how this all works!

Last edited by Alexxia; 02-25-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I already said that. Just more succinctly. Who am I kidding? I just wanted to post in the lady's thread again.
Mee too.
All of the bikes that you seem to be interested in were on my short list when I was shopping. SVs, VTR, Duc monster, I even was considering a Buell, (yeah I know). That SV is a very nice bike, and that one looks really clean. With FI you get more power and better fuel economy than the SH. If you can handle the ergos and weight you will probably be quite happy with it.
One question I have is: Did Suzuki replace the rotary damper with a normal shock on on the SVs? The TLs had them and it was a sore point. Find a SV forum and start this experience again. Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alexxia
With the superhawk out of the picture i did come across this.

Suzuki SV1000S 2006

I'm told the sv has bad ergos but has FI which is a huge plus for me

thoughts?
At the risk of my reply being deemed sexist I would say that the Suzuki SV series are damn good bikes and have a great record of reliability on the track and the street. You can't go wrong there.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Squid

Nothing remotely sexist about the comment!

My sole experience with the sv was just a few short rides on a stock sv650s.i remember cramped ergos, a gorgeous exhaust even with the stock cans, supposedly unquestionably reliable motor, and what i thought was a weird, futuristic look to the bike that sorely lacks the elegant, sexy lines of the superhawk. It might be a right hooligan ride but it would be hard to enjoy looking at an SV1ks

FI is a huge plus for me since I'm a neophyte mechanic and i need not worry about clogged carbs after not riding for a bit.

There are a couple other superhawks out here but they are a lot less attractive. . It would hurt me to be seen on this bike..

'98 Honda Superhawk 1000CC

this one looks better but much more pricey

2002 Honda Superhawk 996

Last edited by Alexxia; 02-25-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
The SV doesn't look like a bad deal. Not sure about the tire condition - that's a big ticket item if you don't change them yourself. Not as pretty as a Superhawk, but FI would be really nice to have.

The $3900 hawk looks like its been crashed. The "hulk hawk" - um, worthless? Unless you're Lou Ferrigno.

My humble opinion, after looking at a lot of Hawks for sale - a Superhawk isn't really "worth" over $3,000. Too bad the first one is owned by a nigerian prince.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:15 PM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
I LOVE my VTR only downside is fuel cap but the butt break is good...rode the Buel With Harley heart, it was torquey but clunky compared to the Hawk/firestorm. And I'm an old fart (60) who gets a kick in showing them younguns how it's done. The VTR shines there!!
Cheers
McG
Old 02-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Superstock

If you're in Florida I would imagine that VTRs will come up for sale pretty regularly.

The Hulk VTR is just painful but someone loved it. You would have to factor in the cost of paint work (or cover that with spray on bed liner) and you might have to ride it home at night in the hope that no one saw you on it.

The red Hawk just seems kind of pricy.

Suzuki makes some great bikes (I have owned a few) but they just miss the mark for looks in my book.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Squid

Andy: i laughed for real @Nigerian prince! But yeah, I'm not Lou ferrigno and my favorite green things are money and veggies i thought so on the newer hawk, it's a lot for an old bike.

Jim: haha, what a riot! Spray on bed liner! Sadly it would look better than its current look. I guess if i buy the bike at 3am nobody would know!

i shall do as advised and keep my eyes open. I may check out the SV but i expect it to be futuristic/goofy looking in person.

Sadly the big SV forum is nearly dead. More points in favor of the superhawk.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Superstock

In general we Superhawk owners are a jolly happy talkative lot.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 PM
Squid

Bustin is on a distinguished road
Don't forget that Suzuki offered naked SVs for several years, with no fairings and a traditional round headlight. These are sweet looking, sweet riding bikes that are very popular with weekend roadracers.....they sound great with an aftermarket can (a Supertrapp is my personal favorite) and have a standard clamp-on 7/8" bar instead of clip-ons , which gives lots of potential flexibility on the ergos. This is the SV offering that has some character and soul, and won't instantly look like some high-school kid's bad decision if it gets tipped-over out there on the mean streets of the real world. Throw a fresh lever on it and carry on .

The plastic covered "S" versions of these bikes don't float my boat one bit on appearance, and the litre version had me sore for days after riding one a mere 100 miles (worst stock ergos I've ever encountered on a "modern era" bike, by far), but those naked ones are straight up sexy, and one of the better options available if you want to rock a cool sounding , fun riding v-twin sport/standard without spending mucho $$$ on a Ducati Monster. A patient buyer can find a well-kept version for 2K or less, in need of nothing other than a new owner. I was in the early stages of negotiating for a nice blue one, when a Superhawk deal that was too good to refuse just dropped into my lap.

Another option is the Honda NT650 Hawk, a great little v-twin powered sport/standard that has always flown under the radar , even as current owners realize that their bike is quickly becoming a sought-after collectible,and bump their asking prices accordingly.

Good luck ,in whatever you decide to do for a new mount.....
Old 02-26-2015, 06:26 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nhjhawk..i was on TSSB a while back but that site seems to have been dead for a long, long time.
We definitely rode together then on some of those group outings / gydo nights.

I'm still friends with some of those people, Rox & Nick & IrocRob changes my tires for me until this day. It was a good site...

Good luck with what ever ride you get.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by AndyMX47

The $3900 hawk looks like its been crashed. The "hulk hawk" - um, worthless? Unless you're Lou Ferrigno.

Never judge a book by it's cover. Perhaps he has bad taste in paint jobs, but, this does not reflect his ability or willingness to maintain and keep the bike in good running order. It's probably a better deal then you think.

Ten minutes removes all plastic, and gas tank, and about 50-60$ of Plasti Dip cans gets you a new paint job. A short term easy fix, not too expensive and time consuming to get you started with a new toy.

IMHO, it's worth a look, and, the paint job is an easy negotiation tool. He can't argue with the fact that not everyone is willing to keep such a wierd looking paint job. Especially if it's a lady contemplating buying it ! If the bike is clean and well maintained, you can surely get him to lower the price by factoring in a new paint job...at least 500$.
Then, buy that 50$ worth of Plasti Dip, and you're done.

My 0,02$
Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
He probably already factored in the new paint job. In his mind, anyway.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Squid

And the plot thickens. ..

Just spoke with the owner, (who sounds about 16) of the zombie superhawk, you know, the one in fungus green?

bike has... get this. ...50k miles and it's been in , as he put it "miner reck" (sic)

i tell him with that kind of mileage it will need a rebuild soon plus I'd have to spend money to repaint it as I'm both female and over the age of 12... so i could offer him next to nothing.

He replies and I'm not joking. .. "but it's got neon lights and what's wrong with the paint? "

good grief, save us from the cesspool that is craigslist.i hope someone gets a laugh out of this. .

Last edited by Alexxia; 02-26-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

NEXT !.....LOL
Old 02-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Squid

Next is an interesting one, certainly the price point anyway.

This time it isn't a nigerian prince or angst-ridden teenager with a penchant for green zombies...Looks like a bit of a curbstoner, bike flipper.

The ad for anyone who is still reading:

Honda superhawk 996 Price Dropped!

For about $1500 - assuming it is mechanically sound, I'd certainly consider buying it.

The seller says it has a high rpm stumble at about 7k and thinks or he says the forums suggest it is a vaccum leak at the fuel tap. Bike was also dropped and has a fiberglass fix (assuming this means bondo or the like).

The big problem is the bike is in jacksonville, nc (Looks to be SE NC near the coast).

Seems goldilocks is ever evasive...

Last edited by Alexxia; 02-26-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Superstock

Next is an interesting one, certainly the price point anyway.

This time it isn't a nigerian prince or angst-ridden teenager with a penchant for green zombies...Looks like a bit of a curbstoner, bike flipper.

The ad for anyone who is still reading:

Honda superhawk 996 Price Dropped!

For about $1500 - assuming it is mechanically sound, I'd certainly consider buying it.

The seller says it has a high rpm stumble at about 7k and thinks or he says the forums suggest it is a vaccum leak at the fuel tap. Bike was also dropped and has a fiberglass fix (assuming this means bondo or the like).

The big problem is the bike is in jacksonville, nc (Looks to be SE NC near the coast).

Seems goldilocks is ever evasive...
What did he say about the CCTs? The stumble could be jetting or ignition related. Someone correct me if I am wrong but around 7K is about where where the needle, mid range, jet hands off to the main jet.

The cosmetics are easily remedied and you don't even have to be a mechanic to do it. That's a pretty good price if the engine sounds tight.

This may be off the track but have you considered a VFR800? I have a 2000 (5th Generation) it has gear driven cams, a 5 gallon tank, good wind protections, it's comfortable for trips and is fun when the road starts to get twisty. The draw backs are it's not a torque as the VTR and not as trim at the waist. It is a little wider bike. Also the linked brakes take some getting used to. I don't like the 6th Gen VFRs because they have VTECH and are chain driven cams. (The gear driven cams make really pretty music.)

Last edited by Big_Jim59; 02-27-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Once I got bitten with the SuperHawk bug I looked for almost a year before purchasing a lightly used 2002 with 4,000 miles on it in 2011. I got it from the original owner, totally stock, never dropped.

So hang in there and be patient, a good one will come along for the right price.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I too, waited almost a year before I could afford mine. Change jobs to afford it and 16 years on we are still in love.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Superstock

I am having to build mine from a kit!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:09 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
A 2002 with 6000 miles? absolutely worth it. Hell make an offer. I'm sure they will budge a bit.

I looked at the ad. It has been dropped doesn't look terrible. wheel and deal with them.

Last edited by hawxter996; 03-01-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I would work on the people with the 2002. Low miles, mostly original. Your going to pay a bit more for a bike like this. Over the course of time you own the bike you will have long forgotten what you paid.
The black '98 is not for someone that is going to have to have the bike worked on by other than yourself. Also it looks like the '98 still has the stock CCTs. Remember the old adage: You Get What You Pay For!