Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Someone talk me out of this!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
Someone talk me out of this!

I have just been on Mario Nava's website and I am in love. If you haven't seen his bodywork you need to check it out. I contacted him and he can have the full upper/lower with stock headlight built and at my door in about 4 weeks, just in time for spring. Price is about 445 euros (700 canadian) plus paint when it gets here (which a buddy of mine does).
I now I'll never get my money back out of the bike but I don't intend to sell so that's not an issue. Can someone please give me a good reason not to order Mario's fairings so my wife doesn't divorce me! and no the threat of divorce is not a good enough reason, I need more than that!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
no! stop! you can't no......no.....I give up!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Back Marker

A little more effort J, I'm about 1 credit card look away and you're not helping!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Tell her it's her valentine's present to you!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be curious on how well they actually fit. I've never had good luck with aftermarket body work. They do look rather nice though. Are you considering the tail section too?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
How easy is to remove his bodywork to to maintenance compared to stock or sharkskins etc? 700 bucks. That's worth 2 complete sets of tires in the U.S. or 1.2 full sets (installed) in Calgary. She sure would be one of a kind though. If your wife gets upset maybe you could have her post to the 'RANTS' section of this board.

-D
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Back Marker

There is a bike on here for sale with them already mounted and he's used the stock fairings of his VTR for the moulds so I hope they would fit good. I don't think I'll go with the tail section, just the front upper/lower combo. I still want to be able to ride 2 up so the stock tail will be best I think.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM
On a Jonda, or a Hondo...
Squid

txrb182sc is on a distinguished road
How often does your wife see the bike, because you could do like my dad does with guns; buys them secretly and over time (years) slowly gets my mom acclimatized to them. And then we she's like "What gun is that?" he says, "Oh that one, I've had that one for years"

Or, you could feign a bike mishap and be "forced" to get some new fairings for it, and if you are going to get new fairings you might as well get some nice ones.

I know none of that helps talk you out of buying them, but I think you are going to get them eventually anyways, I'm just giving you some ideas for damage control.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
In these times, if you're swiping a credit card for a purchase like this, you're not too bright. there's ALWAYS gonna be a good deal out there somewhere.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I would rather spend that much $ on getting the suspension sorted and set up for your riding style. Think about it do you look at the bike more or ride it.

But then again its not my money.

Does that help?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
New custom fairing = divorce? Hmmmmmm, food for thought there.

lessee now...I just gotta have custom leathers, new helm, rearsets cnc'd from unobtainium, Eyetalian wheels and the aforementioned custom fairing.

Oh wait! This economy has decimated the IRA to the point of dividing the assets is no longer an option to effectuate a divorce. Rats. Slogging on in my life sentence will continue unless the bailout comes my way.

'Course you could 'involve' the wife in the project the way her friends involve her in the selection of new shoes or bed linens. A woman's emotional investment in someone else's acquisition often provides the rationalization of execution of expenditure.

"Dear, do you think it would look better in Porsche Guard's Red or in Chrome Yellow? And graphics, don't you think I need graphics custom cut for balance? Really, I want to know what you think."
Old 02-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Back Marker

Nobody need to be concerned about me finacially, I have a stable job, my house is paid for, I pay my card off at the end of every month, etc. although worrying more about the mechanical side (suspension, etc) is a valid point and food for thought. Thanks for all the insight. As I've been thinking about it I may just keep my stock fairings and go for a pyramid lower instead
Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I have never understood the aftermarket lower thing. Of course it's just my opinion, but I haven't seen one yet that improves the stock appearance.
(I have to admit that the Mario Nava bodywork is the best looking aftermarket fairing I have seen.)
Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Back Marker

epleeds is on a distinguished road
I have the Mario Nava Fairings on my bike. I think they make the bike. I like how the lower is basically seamless...Plus having the SSS conversion helps too.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Couple of points you may not have looked at. While his fairings are prob the best on the planet for fit and style. the currency exchage rates and shipping are "wholly ****" eye openers. When I checked on this several months ago the fairings at my door were above $1800. Now it's even worse because the exchange rate has dropped and freight rates have increased due to the price of fuel. Don't give anybody your cc number until you have a delivered price. Find a chair.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Epleeds, What did it take to get from point A to what your bike looks like now. It looks great but I am more interested in the SSS setup. Its a VFR right? Did you do it? If there is a thread on it who has done it & how hard/ how much, do I pay the price in handling? Can it be a daily rider?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
How close to divorse are you and your wife? This one might put her and every other woman over the edge, especially being this close to Valentine's ******* Day.

When the hell are men going to have a day for us only?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't look to be talked out of it. Its cool stuff, well made and if you like the looks and have the $$ you should do it. I can't say what the euro/dollar rates are like - but I wass checking JMC swingarms and the pound/dollar rate is at a near all time favorable rate for us. Depending on the exchange rate, it will always have some good resale value if you ever sell the bike - just hang onto your stock stuff and find another fanatic to sell the Nava stuff too - they aren't hard to find as you know.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
I saw the name of this thread and automatically assumed it was another "i'm getting married" kind of deal...haha
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Back Marker

Already married and not really that close to divorce. I have decided to get a pyramid lower instead, way cheaper. While I have been talking back and forth with Mario though he mentioned that he will be touring Canada this summer for holidays and we are going to get together. Maybe he'll cut me a deal on the fairing after that?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
I have never understood the aftermarket lower thing. Of course it's just my opinion, but I haven't seen one yet that improves the stock appearance.
(I have to admit that the Mario Nava bodywork is the best looking aftermarket fairing I have seen.)

I'm with you. SOme of them look nice, but then they're just like any other covered bike.
I like the uniqueness of the stock setup.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
If I could afford the Nava stuff and the exchange rates and the shipping, they would be on my doorstep tomorrow. I agree with some of the more senior members that it is kind of a newbie thing. After I found out how expensive it was I went other way. I cleaned up that dirty-*** header, got the extended black oil filter and made sure the front of the block was really clean with the aluminum bright. I chunked the chin fairing and all the brackets. It's got a smooth look on top with the fairings and an open raw look on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Someone talk me out of this!-pic00021.jpg   Someone talk me out of this!-pic00020.jpg  
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
When the hell are men going to have a day for us only?
If you can get your wife/girlfriend to agree, there is such thing as Steak & BJ day, it's March 14th. Look it up.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Erik S... Are you kidding me? My b-day is 3/14!!!!
www.steakandbjday.com
Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
that sucks. its like being born on xmas. my b-day is on the 12th. so I'm gonna drag this out over a weekend high protien for everyone!

Last edited by swordfish; 02-11-2009 at 01:48 PM.