Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

what are these and where do they go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
what are these and where do they go?

in a box of parts that i got from the PO and was wondering (since the bike is all tore down) what they are and if i should put them back where ever they go!
Attached Thumbnails what are these and where do they go?-2007_1215friedrr0001.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by andy9743
in a box of parts that i got from the PO and was wondering (since the bike is all tore down) what they are and if i should put them back where ever they go!
They are the somewhat faux radiator air intake scoops that attach to the inside of each side of the front fairing assembly. I would reinstall them.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Inner fairings, not faux intake scoops. These should be reinstalled, though the only fuction that they really have it to hold the turn signals and wire loom. They might also smooth the airflow a bit and make the bike look better from the front.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by andy9743

i was faced with the delema of taking off my kick stand for weight or taking out those plastic wire holders...i opted for the wire holder removal
Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Inner fairings, not faux intake scoops. These should be reinstalled, though the only fuction that they really have it to hold the turn signals and wire loom. They might also smooth the airflow a bit and make the bike look better from the front.
Call them what you want but I don't recall any wire loom in there but one could I guess. I don't run the OEM TS/RLs (I like the LP Type 3s) but I bolted to inside of them the tubes that project out front thru the nostrils to which my driving lights mount (see attached sketches).

BTW, if you tip over the OEM TS/RLs punch them out good I'm told.
Attached Thumbnails what are these and where do they go?-vtr-dl-instl-1cc.jpg   what are these and where do they go?-vtr-dl-instl-2cc.jpg  
Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I discovered on a very hot day, that those ducts work very well for directing cool, ambient air over your legs and keeping the hot radiator air to the outside. It was so firggin' hot, droning across the San Joaquin Valley one day on my way from the twisties to the other twisties, that I was riding with my gloves stashed. I was messing around with my clutch hand, when I noticed how much hot air was coming off the radiators, but next to my knee it was (relatively) cool, the same as the air temp.

I say keep the ducts! I used to stuff a rag in the inlet during the cold months to keep my legs warm. Worked great.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RCVTR
I used to stuff a rag in the inlet during the cold months to keep my legs warm. Worked great.
I may have to try that.