Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

How long before they try this in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Squid

Firehawk_ordie is on a distinguished road
How long before they try this in the U.S.

I saw this article this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070329/...WuY4L1JIqhOrgF

the only bike accident i was ever involved in was when a car turned left in front of me. I was going a blistering 30 MPH on city streets. makes you wounder what they will try next
Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Bah, it may be a good thing, the insurances rates will go down and this will be a breeze to remove.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
as long as they limit automobiles, trucks, and every other class of motor vehicle too....otherwise it's plain discrimination. Also funny how they never give %'s just total numbers - how about comparing total motorcycle deaths as a percentage of owners versus auto deaths vs total ownership. It's like saying there are more people drinking Starbux now than in 1990. Sigh.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
guys production stuff is already limited... most bikes that could reach beyond 187MPH are capped their. some with gearing some actually hav cylinder igntion kills that cut the fire to one plug to limit speeds... lots of cars now a days hav governers on them too. hell my 99 S-10 was set at 97mph... when you hit it the engine shut completly off tille you got down to 94mph then it would run again.

as for removing. the ones set by gearing are easy to change. the ones in the ECU r a bit tricky.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Giving evidence to the committee, transport author Stephen Plowden said he could not see why anyone needed a bike with a top speed of more than 65 mph.

Well, for one thing, this is America, and we want it...WE don't Need cars that go over 70 mph, but it's America and we want it...We don't need 30 round banana clips for our rifles, but it's America and we want them...There is a lot O **** we don't need...but you got it...it's America and we want it...

They need to spend the time and money educating Joe Public about watching where the hell they are going...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
First off, this is in the UK, not the USA.

2nd, it is plane stupid and dangerous, way too low of a limit, you would be in more danger on such a limited bike.

And 3rd fewer than 600 a year in the UK are killed on motorbikes, and while that might sound like a lot, how many bikes are on the road? I recall from the last time I visited our British friends, quite a few so that is probably not a huge %, my bet is that more are killed doing some other stupid common activity like crossing the street as a pedestrian.. should running speed be limited too?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
I think it is retarded. We all have to make choices....we shouldn't make the gov't limit everything we do.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Seeing as how we are living a "similar but different" remedy here in Quebec (drive up the price of licence plates..on sport bikes mostly of course, 'cause we all known that neophyte baby-boomer Harley types never have accidents...right!!), it seems to me that they should focus their efforts on the real cause of the problem, incompetent and negligent automobile drivers who are the cause of most motorcycle accidents anyhow. Of course, it is politically easier to pick on motorcyclists for we are fewer in number. Gotta love them all-knowing bureaucrats.....
Old 03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
70 Mph Limit is just stupid ! I think 120 mph would be about perfect.. Kind of level the playing field across the board LOL !...Truthfully though I have only had my SH over 115mph one time and it was on the back stretch at Atlanta Motor Speedway ( 145mph ) yes it was fun , But I am really not into the triple digit riding aymore ( Give me the curves anyday !) To hell with turning my myself into a 186 mph asphalt grenade !
Old 03-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think the whole idea is .

They've threatened this **** before, and with automatic systems tied into the ECU that send a signal when you exceed some certain mph. In the US it's unconstitutional. I dunno about the UK. I'd assume the same.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Zedicus
lots of cars now a days hav governers on them too. hell my 99 S-10 was set at 97mph... when you hit it the engine shut completly off tille you got down to 94mph then it would run again.
most cars are speed limited to just below the speed rating of the stock OE tires. Your S-10 had either S or T rated tires, I forget which one is 97 mph. Check the sticker on the driver's door for the tire recommendation and you'll see the rating. This is done obstensibly for safety but really for economic reasons.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
It would never fly here in the U.S. There would be such an uproar of
protest. This would be bigger than that Nut job DJ from california that wanted drivers to open up thier car doors on lane splitters even though it is legal out there. The big groups like the AMA would step in with their big shot
lawyers, just like the NRA did with gun control. I don't think we have a whole lot to worry about.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
. . . it seems to me that they should focus their efforts on the real cause of the problem, incompetent and negligent automobile drivers who are the cause of most motorcycle accidents anyhow. Of course, it is politically easier to pick on motorcyclists for we are fewer in number. Gotta love them all-knowing bureaucrats.....
I agree entirely Mik! If every motorist who takes down a bike faced automatic manslaughter or attempted murder charges the numbers would come way down way quick. Two other guys had similar wrecks to mine (SUV turning in front of approaching bike) the same day as me and both of them died - Senior riders and both geared up. The cage riders go home to their spouses and kids - the rest of us go to cold storage. I think it's an absolute outrage!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always said that most people treat their cars as appliances. They no more 'drive' than they 'toast', it's purely an automatic action.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

Right again, Bird! There's also a discouraging fact that sport bike riders are out on their own when compared to the corporate types that ride Hardleys. If they rode solo like most of us do most of the time they would go to the morgue just as fast as we do. They don't because they only roll out on Sunday and they always ride as a group. And you can bet your bottom dollar that the corporate dog always has a couple of his lieutenants riding flanker with him.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Right again, Bird! There's also a discouraging fact that sport bike riders are out on their own when compared to the corporate types that ride Hardleys. If they rode solo like most of us do most of the time they would go to the morgue just as fast as we do. They don't because they only roll out on Sunday and they always ride as a group. And you can bet your bottom dollar that the corporate dog always has a couple of his lieutenants riding flanker with him.
That is why I like riding with the group here in Charlotte, when there are 15-20 of us, we are hard to miss, or hit lol....There is safety in numbers for sure...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Yea I know how in the UK, a lot of times you have to have a HP limiter installed on your bike after first getting your license (or age, cant remember which). That way all the squids running GSXR 1000s and R1s are by law restricted to something absurd like 39RWHP. At least for a year, thats not a bad idea, but its barely abided by.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
That is why I like riding with the group here in Charlotte, when there are 15-20 of us, we are hard to miss, or hit lol....There is safety in numbers for sure...
Riding with a regular group is great but like many of us, I use my Superhawk to run errands for the company, go to job sites and visit suppliers. Rolling around with mostly contractors and other professionals that are used to being on the roads as part of their business day is easy and enjoyable.

It's these careless morons that sit in an office all day that don't know **** about driving that are killing us. These are the ******** that need to be hauled out of their vehicles, charged with a serious bodily-injury crime and tried in a court of law. If they did **** like this using a gun they would be gone for decades. It should be legal for them to do it with a car??? No ******* way!!!

If you change the laws even these dipshits would have to pay attention. There's no incentive for them to drive responsibly now! They go home to the kids and we go to the morgue!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
This will never happen here in the states. We have ogenizations that will fight this and there are some other laws that I think would have to pass before they got that drastic. Like the whole driving while on your cell phone thing would have to be out lawed, manditory helmet laws would have to be passed. Like I said I don't see it happening here.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I've always been a big fan of personal responsibility. I think I'm a libertarian, or something.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish I could ride with a group and given my location you would think it wouldn't be hard. I live in the chicago suburbs. there are riders everywhere, but its tough to actually find someone near you that rides because the suburbs are so vast, and the riders tend to stay near a few select hotspots. hotspots that frankly attract squids like deep sea fish bait. I don't like going to these hotspots, and so never meet new riders. I've had to make my own riders instead. my wife and I got a couple whom we were friends with into riding. but unfortunately, the man was a squid waiting to come out and he crashed, just ahead of me at 100mph, and never took it back up. they ended up divorcing but the wife moved away so now I got nobody again. my wife rides too, but she rides a gs 500. not the best bike to try to keep pace with a superhawk. anyway, if any of you guys live nearby, please let me know. I just don't want to ride with idiots. and there are too many squid riders around here to differentiate.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Think of the number of crashes, some quite severe, reported regularly on this forum.

And then think again about why these restriction ideas are constantly floated.

It is your job to avoid the dipshit that pulls out in front of you, regardless of the legal rights and wrongs. It is your job to stay on the road. It is your job to stay upright. Defensive driving means you have to think that every crash is your own personal responsibility. Otherwise you will die.

I am only too well aware that some of you will take personal offence at this. I look forward to meeting you and going for a ride with you, if you are still around.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Squid

Firehawk_ordie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PJay
Think of the number of crashes, some quite severe, reported regularly on this forum.

And then think again about why these restriction ideas are constantly floated.

It is your job to avoid the dipshit that pulls out in front of you, regardless of the legal rights and wrongs. It is your job to stay on the road. It is your job to stay upright. Defensive driving means you have to think that every crash is your own personal responsibility. Otherwise you will die.

I am only too well aware that some of you will take personal offence at this. I look forward to meeting you and going for a ride with you, if you are still around.

Cheers
I disagree. I Don't know about traffic were you are from, but here in southern California there are about a car for each person. Trust me when you have to manage the road conditions, the weather, your own scoot and the guy 200 yards ahead of you, oh and not to mention that moron on the cell phone who keeps drifting in your lane, and that guy on your tail just because you happen to be on a "high power superbike" it gets hard to see that guy who turns left in front of you, and did i mention that 99.9% of California drivers don't or won't use turn indicators.

Most guys i know have gone down on city streets at under 35MPH. Some due to inexpireance and some due to other motorist (drivers). theres only so much a rider can do to make himself seen to drivers. Most of the guys on this fourm that report accidents, usually take full responsibility, and seek advice to prevent more accidendts.

Accidents happen, are they unavoidable? sometimes. But if a rider gets careless on a curve, he may go down, shame on him. However, if a person puts their 3,000 pound vehicle in a bikes path shame on them. not all motorcycles have the handling and braking power of sport bikes, and some riders don't have that much expierance.

Of course riders should be personally responsible for staying on the road. But if any government says that restricting one form of transportation will make the roads safer, that is a joke. remember that the other vehicles on the road still go fast, like buses, trucks, cars, trains, and all the mainacs who drive them. If more folks got run over by cars would they reduce the cars power or make walking illegal? This may sound dumb, but think about why you never hear about people getting run over. However you always hear of that guy on the "racebike" that slamed into a car. Check out the article in the March 2007 issue of motorcyclist, titled "Who knew?" It's a real eye opener.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
Yeah what They said. Really, I think you should just limit the age of the rider and your problem will be solved.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I need to spell out why I know what I am talking about: bear in mind it ain't where you're from but where you've ridden that's the point as to geography....

Over the last 35 years I would have covered something over 2,000,000 kilometres (1.6 million miles approx) on road bikes - I gave up counting at 1,000,000, and that was 20 years ago. I have ridden in the USA - yes, including So Cal, on sports bikes and others, often and as recently as last year - the UK, France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, and Australia as well as my native New Zealand.

(In NZ, incidentally, there is about the same ratio of cars per person as in So Cal, and the age of the fleet is much older, meaning they do not stop or steer nearly as well. And as for failure to indicate - here is where that was invented.)

I have been a certificated riding instructor and created my country's first advanced riding course in the early 1980s. I still compete internationally in historic road racing, and have trophies for road racing, drags, MX, and trials. Also compete in classic trials still.

And there's a lot of accumulated knowledge from the more distant past there, too, as my father and grandfather were in the motorcycle trade (the old guy from 1903...). None of this stuff is new.

If you do not have it in your mind that your crash is your problem, then crashes will be inevitable. Then you will join the stats that will persuade these **** to make ever-more-restrictive laws. We concerned riders are a minority whose votes will sway no-one, so political action is beyond us for self-protection.

If there are sufficient gory motorcyclists' body parts spattered across cars and trucks so that cleaning is too inconvenient for the drivers, then we will be legislated out of our sport. Too bad if it's their fault. Riders have been truthfully saying "It was not my fault" for decades: has anyone done anything about it? No. It is only up to us to look after ourselves, on a simple, individual, day-to-day basis. Riding, not "being seen". They see us and still kill us.

BTW - if you think I am some ******** who potters around on the road at great-granny speeds - no: the fastest I have ever been on a public road is 260kph; the fastest on a gravel road is 195kph; and my usual average speed on a long trip including meal, refreshment, and fuel stops is about 105kph. That having been said, straightline speed is not the point of the SH, which is why I like 'em.