SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   what are these and where do they go? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/what-these-where-do-they-go-14204/)

andy9743 03-30-2008 11:58 AM

what are these and where do they go?

1 Attachment(s)
in a box of parts that i got from the PO and was wondering (since the bike is all tore down) what they are and if i should put them back where ever they go!

skokievtr 03-30-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by andy9743 (Post 157783)
in a box of parts that i got from the PO and was wondering (since the bike is all tore down) what they are and if i should put them back where ever they go!

They are the somewhat faux radiator air intake scoops that attach to the inside of each side of the front fairing assembly. I would reinstall them.

Hawkrider 03-30-2008 05:06 PM

Inner fairings, not faux intake scoops. These should be reinstalled, though the only fuction that they really have it to hold the turn signals and wire loom. They might also smooth the airflow a bit and make the bike look better from the front.

filter69 03-30-2008 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by andy9743 (Post 157783)

i was faced with the delema of taking off my kick stand for weight or taking out those plastic wire holders...i opted for the wire holder removal:D

skokievtr 03-30-2008 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 157813)
Inner fairings, not faux intake scoops. These should be reinstalled, though the only fuction that they really have it to hold the turn signals and wire loom. They might also smooth the airflow a bit and make the bike look better from the front.

Call them what you want but I don't recall any wire loom in there but one could I guess. I don't run the OEM TS/RLs (I like the LP Type 3s) but I bolted to inside of them the tubes that project out front thru the nostrils to which my driving lights mount (see attached sketches).

BTW, if you tip over the OEM TS/RLs punch them out good I'm told.

RCVTR 04-02-2008 01:25 PM

I discovered on a very hot day, that those ducts work very well for directing cool, ambient air over your legs and keeping the hot radiator air to the outside. It was so firggin' hot, droning across the San Joaquin Valley one day on my way from the twisties to the other twisties, that I was riding with my gloves stashed. I was messing around with my clutch hand, when I noticed how much hot air was coming off the radiators, but next to my knee it was (relatively) cool, the same as the air temp.

I say keep the ducts! I used to stuff a rag in the inlet during the cold months to keep my legs warm. Worked great.

Josh 04-02-2008 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 158222)
I used to stuff a rag in the inlet during the cold months to keep my legs warm. Worked great.

I may have to try that.