Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What is stock chain/sprocket? 530?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Squid

itsjason13 is on a distinguished road
What is stock chain/sprocket? 530?

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a new chain (and maybe rear sprocket)...I've been researching the 520 conversion, which I understand to be a more narrow chain and sprocket to match = weight savings. Though it wears slightly quicker.
(Let me know if I'm wrong...)

But what is the stock chain width? Is it 530?

Right now, I'm running 15/41 with stock chain and rear sprocket.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
you would be correct in saying that the stock width is 530...indeed
Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Unless your parts are fairly new, it is advisable to change the sprockets and chain together, at the same time. Worn sprockets can wear out a new chain faster, and vice versa.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The most important part of your investment is how you like your gear ratio. I have the 15/41 and run a stock size (but aftermarket brand) chain. I love the gearing. It gives me better dig coming out of the corners as I like a few more revs on entry. If it's clucking like a chicken coming out of the corners, you're too slow in or the bike is geared too high. The Superhawk is a powerful engine brake so after the engine winds down and I start to get back to the gas I want the revs to be in a firm place in the powerband. Guys talk about their exhaust note being deep or throaty or raspy - gear preferences are equally subjective. Eirk's line: "Ask ten people - get twelve answers!" applies here!

I am a lighter weight rider and am constantly amazed and amused by the Superhawk's power. So much so that I doubt that I could tell the difference in a few ounces of weight difference in an expensive aftermarket "performance" chain. I'm not sure I would notice it even it were a couple pounds different. The effect (what you feel in the saddle) is a weight to horsepower ratio - if you already feel like you're on an ICBM to downtown Tehran WTF is the difference!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
So if Doug’s answer was number 11, here is number 12.

It's not JUST "weight to horsepower ratio " thing. The performance gain also comes from less rotating mass, less friction. All though I would agree with Doug.. I doubt there are many (any on this board) that can "feel" a difference, with same gearing and only a 530/520 swap It is a large difference on the smaller bikes,, talking 10's of HP bikes.. and they go 520/420...But on a bike with a lot of weight anyway, and a good amount of HP. Well I've not personally Dyno'ed or time track tested a SH 52-/530 swap.. so I cannot say for sure... But my couple of years bike experience says, most would never know the difference.. The feel is in the gearing change most do at the same time.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Squid

wow...thanks for the reply guys.
Yeah, I don't exactly have a sponsor, and I don't trailer it to races; it's an everyday sport-ride for me. So I seriously doubt I could feel any difference from the 520 change. I'd "feel" better with the 530 chain in that case...chances are it won't wear as fast.

I agree that the 15/41 ratio works great for this bike...if you still want to have any gas left after freeway cruising; and a strong pull just out of the corners too...which is were the SH has the ability to really shine v.s. other bikes (bottom end)

Any input on the best brand chains to buy? I was thinking D.I.D., but those RK's are cheaper???

thanks again guys.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:41 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got over 30,000 miles on the OE D.I.D. chain... & still plenty of adjustment left on it. So I'm going back with the D.I.D. whenever I have to replace it. I'd stick with the 530 for the same reason: longevity.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Squid

Well it sounds like DID may be the way to go and well worth the money. thanks for that.

I read a post by Greg that said that a votex sprocket didn't hold well...but that his AFAM seemed to be doing better.

I only have a little over 8K on my stock chain, and I'm sure, because of the smaller front sprocket, it looks like I need to replace my chain even worse now...(sends the rear wheel even further back on the swing arm) I'm just not sure I want such a long wheelbase.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:10 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I made the change to a 15T front over the winter and did not have to replace the chain. There was enough room on the adjusters to take up the slack. FYI
Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, Vortex suck. AFAM rocks and I have zero wear after a thousand or two miles since I changed it. Just cleaned the chain and sprockets tonight as a matter of fact.