Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What kind of noise will come out when CCT is about to go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
What kind of noise will come out when CCT is about to go?

Hi all,

A quick question here for anyone who experienced CCT failures.

What kind of sound / noise will you hear and from where when the CCT is bad? How long will this noise continue before it actually fails? Will this noise get louder as the engine revs? Will this sound be more noticeable when the engine's cold or hot?

Thanks a lot!!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
CCT noise

I just recently had to change my CCT's. With my bike, when it was cold you didn't hear it, but when the bike warmed up, it started out in the rear cylinder (most noticeable at the top of the cam covers) sounding like metallic rattling (not a smooth ticking like valves out of adjustment.) The noise got gradually louder and then started in the front cylinder. I'm lucky in that I have a freind whose a mechanic and he told me it was the CCT's and not the valves and that I could do CCT replacements myself.

I would recommend doing the CCT's either way as it's cheap insurance. (Get the APE's as you wont have to replace the factory's that keep failing.) The CCT replacements are not that hard, you just have to be patient, make sure you do it right and there's a really good tutorial on it here in the forum.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
Now I get the creeps here. My engine get very noicy when really hot, and I've allready replaced the CCTs once (and a valve). I really must get a set of those APE CCTs.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Check my earlier thread out before I got my CCT's: Theres a good vendor link for New APE's and some members selling some stock ones cheap for a temp fix. Good luck.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=5592
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you think your CCT is stuck or malfunctioning try removing the small 8mm hex bolt in the middle and get a small flathead screwdriver. Stick it in there and turn a bit in the counter-clockwise direction while cranking the motor with the engine cutoff switch OFF. If it moves then it's getting stuck. If not then give it one rotation in the clockwise direction to give it some exercise. It will spring back to it's original position. Replace the bolt. Sometimes mechanical things just like to move to work right.