Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Anyone have their headlights go dim at times?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Anyone have their headlights go dim at times?

Since i got my hawk 2 years ago my lights go from bright to dim. They default at dim, but every once in a while, they kick up and get all bright. Sometimes it is because i am ridding a bit harder, but not always. Is it simply the alternator is not sending enough juice to the lights. I really want them to go bright all the time. It is the same way when i have my brights on, they can go SUPER bright and then pretty bright. Well, if anyone has any ideas, let me know. My lights just died, well the brights just went out, so i am going to pick up a new bulb. Thanks for reading.

Also, our bikes use a H4 bulb, correct? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
H4 bulb is correct.

Not sure about the dim/bright thing. I know my light used to get brighter when blipping the throttle.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Generally speaking, a bike's electrical system is similar to a car's system. My guess would be either a worn alternator or shoddy electrical grounds. An alternator is not pumping anywhere near full power at idle, so expect a slightly dimmer light below 2-3k rpms. If you wanted a brighter light at all times, you can either construct a wiring harness with higher gauge wiring that draws power directly from the battery, which also allows the use of a higher wattage bulb,

OR

You could just do an HID retrofit
Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Check all your connectors to the r/r and the generator. Use contact cleaner and dielectric grease. Also check the voltage at your battery. Should be about 12v at idle, 14v or so at 3000rpm. If it's higher or lower, or moving around, then replace your r/r.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Squid

thedawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Check all your connectors to the r/r and the generator. Use contact cleaner and dielectric grease. Also check the voltage at your battery. Should be about 12v at idle, 14v or so at 3000rpm. If it's higher or lower, or moving around, then replace your r/r.
I agree. A R/R can do some crazy things to your lights before it goes completely bad. My lights would pulse at idle, then a while later the R/R went bad and took the battery out with it.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
If this is an occasional problem - difficult to reproduce when sitting in the driveway - you might want to take your DVM for a ride.

Hook up your DVM to the system (battery charger connection for example) and tie the meter to a tank bag.... Now hit the road and see if you can reproduce the dim-bright problem. If so, take close note of any system voltage changes. If the voltage looks to be constant then you obviously have a problem in a connection somewhere ... (most likely between the bulb and high-low switch)...

If the system voltage varies with your bulb brightness then replace the R-R.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
I dont know why, but i am not remembering what an R/R is.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Back Marker

superbikemike
Regulator/Rectifier, back in the seat area. Problem relatively common with Hondas.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Squid

willie
R/R is going bad.............my headlight did the same thing. When I checked the R/R the connector had melted..........FWIW
Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Squid

Motophoria is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a rectifier/regulator.
I've got one from 04 RC51 in good working order if you're interested.
$55 shipped.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Back Marker

Blurr is on a distinguished road
Whould having bad grounds really make my battery die ? Just wondering because I have a new RR and a new battery yet my battery still died and most people are saying stators going are rare.........my bike was dropped but on the other side............
Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by thedawk
I agree. A R/R can do some crazy things to your lights before it goes completely bad. My lights would pulse at idle, then a while later the R/R went bad and took the battery out with it.
hehe, thanks for the input. I think it just went bad and killed my battery. I wish i had thought ahead. I got got a new R/R for 40 bucks!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Wow, well all you guys were totally right! I just didn't have a clue what a R/R was when you were telling me to replace it So i didn't listen until it blew up my battery. Well now my lights are bright as hell, thanks for telling me what to do, even though i didn't listen for another month I didn't know the R/R could blow up a battery because i had no clue what an R/R was