General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Two diffene kind of cct.... why

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Squid

cel2620xl is on a distinguished road
Two diffene kind of cct.... why

Hi last week i buyed CCT from ebay. There made by CRU. i brought the SH in the shop today to get them install and they told my one of the cct dose not fit the front cam cover. Both CCT are identical. (dose this sound right?) I Call the CRu to notify them. and they said there going to send me another set. so now i have my SH sitin in the shop for the next four days.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Is the shop charging you for the extra days the bike is going to be sitting?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes, they are supposed to be identical... No it sounds like either the guys at that shop shouldn't wrench or they and you are confused/confusing each other...

That is if the two CCT's are indeed identical...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

Not to much that can be added to that.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
the only other thing i could think of is when the cct was made,maybe they put the screw in,they put it backwards and the in part is facing out and the out part is facing in.if you know what i mean.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by drew_c14
Is the shop charging you for the extra days the bike is going to be sitting?
The shop is not chargeing me extra for leave it sit there ..... but they are chargeing 2hr worth of labor which is 85$ per hr
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Yes, they are supposed to be identical... No it sounds like either the guys at that shop shouldn't wrench or they and you are confused/confusing each other...

That is if the two CCT's are indeed identical...

I'm not a gear head so i would ain't i leave that to the certified gearhead. but the cct are identical ....
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
the boss
SuperBike

wow 85hr,i am so glad i do all my own work,otherwise i wouldnt even have 25% of my bike done.i would go back to shop and look at your cct's you bought and make sure theres something wrong or if you have them in hand,take a pic and put up on here so we could have a look at them.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

If they are indeed identical, they will fit rear or front cylinder... Like they should... There are no difference or even way to tell what cylinder they go on for OEM's and shouldn't be for aftermarket ones... So if they are identical the rear one shouldn't fit either... Unless it is out of spec in some way... And hence not identical...

The only way you could make an correct and identical part not fit, is to turn it 180 degrees... And that's classified as stupid...
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cel2620xl
I'm not a gear head so i would ain't i leave that to the certified gearhead. but the cct are identical ....
Did you go to the same school as Havoc?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Squid

I finally receive the second CCt. it came in this moring, so i ran to back to the shop to have the MC install it. he finish puting back everything together. now there another issues that cam up. the hawk won't start. it not a dead batter. i have not idea why! the MC was staying the bike might skip the time. can sum give me any idea what going on.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
"skip the time" or in other words they released the tension on the timing chain and the timing chain moved jumped timing on the camshaft gears, which means your camshafts are not properly aligned with the crankshaft. since we have an interference motor, this could mean that any turn of the engine could make the intake or exhaust valves hit the pistons, which is NOT GOOD.

sounds like the shop messed up.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Were you having problems before you gave them the bike? If not, and if it skipped timing, then that's THEIR fault, and they need to fix it for FREE.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If the mechanic is an idiot and tried to swap the CCTs without putting the cylinder that he is working on to TDC before removing the old one then yes it could have skipped or jumped timing. In fact he may have destroyed your engine.

This is why you learn to do this work yourself instead of paying someone else $85/hr to break your bike.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Squid

aaawww great i don't need this s@#t right now.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

yep sorry to break the news, let us know what they say.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

No it sounds like either the guys at that shop shouldn't wrench or they and you are confused/confusing each other...
I'll just quote myself, shall I?

Why people insist on having "professionals" screw up their bike, instead of learning to do the work themselves, is a mystery to me...

Last edited by Tweety; 09-28-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Squid

"motherf**King no good for nothing gearhead" He bent the valves MC call about an hour ago and i went back to the shop. he started to tell me sum nonsense on the v twin how he was suppose to rotate sum to set it at a default before uninstall ccts and release the tension. anyway he said he going to pay for and my bike is going to be in the shop for another week. .. is there thing i need to look out for while he doing this ......?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Mmmm OUCH!

Let me see they should provide you with a courtesy bike for the duration of the repairs. An agreement that the only cost you should incur is a couple of hours labour for the original CCT swap. For good measure and goodwill they give you a warranty (say 6 months/3K miles for parts & labour on their 'workmanship').

Even if you get it back from them I'd take it pronto to a reputable mechanic to check that everything has been done to spec.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

if he says he is going to fix it, just call him every so often to make sure it's getting fixed, but don't bug him he's the one fixing his mistake.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
MotoGP

"motherf**King no good for nothing gearhead" He bent the valves MC call about an hour ago and i went back to the shop. he started to tell me sum nonsense on the v twin how he was suppose to rotate sum to set it at a default before uninstall ccts and release the tension. anyway he said he going to pay for and my bike is going to be in the shop for another week. .. is there thing i need to look out for while he doing this ......?
Yep, that is exactly what happens when it isn't done it right. At least he is paying for it, though the repair will probably cost more than he expects. (might be cheaper for him to buy you a replacement engine/bike and part out the old one) Just make sure it runs right (and has manual ccts) when you get it back...

A 1 hour job turned into a 2 week rebuild because the "mechanic" didn't know what he was doing. His mistake, his fault..
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Not to be selfish. I have a set of 2004 heads that are fresh for a local shop. I had considered offering the set for sell on the site. Let me know if you need a set.
Yet, with the passed condition the Pro-MC has provided you, i would be cautious...
Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Dude, it it were me I'd bring the bike to the best shop in town and have this sh*t pay for it. There's no way I would let this puckerhead change my oil after this mishap. He broke it once; he may break it again.

If you stay with this guy, print off Lazn's & Calitoz's instructions, but really... Even I changed the CCTs...

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
MotoGP

The non-sense mechanic is correct... The nonsense about doing some rotating before removing a CCT on the bike, that is... The problem is that he didn't do that, and he should have both known and done it before creating this mess...

Like others have said... Talk to him, set a firm timeframe when you will get the bike back, set a firm cost now concerning what you will pay then... Ie anything above 2 hours labour for a CCT change is his cost... (That's how fast a novice mechanic will do the job when it's done right... A good mechanic will be faster)

Also, like have been said, a new top end or a new engine/bike altogether is probably cheaper... Discuss that with him before he starts tearing into it... Also discuss the fact that you will not allow parts that are "probably" unhurt to be re-used, measured to spec or replace, nothing else... And dicuss the fact that you will want to see a complete list of what parts have been replaced and what has been re-used when he is done...

And like Wicky said, when he does a repair work like this, obviously at the lowest possible cost to himself, I would expect a warranty on that work, in written form... And I would discuss that also now before starting work...

If he has issues with the recommendation on replacing the engine instead of fixing it, let him have a read through some threads on the forum, and show him the price of a few replacement engines...

Basically, discuss all the possible outcomes now, before it goes sour... Be polite and non-confrontal, but get firm answers or it's not usefull to either of you...
Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Big +1
Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
why with the knowledge base that we have? why? Some days I wonder if I am getting more intolerant or the people are getting dumber.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
why with the knowledge base that we have? why? Some days I wonder if I am getting more intolerant or the people are getting dumber.
I have asked myself that a couple of times... Let me know if you find an answer...
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
I have asked myself that a couple of times... Let me know if you find an answer...
I vote for dumber.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
the boss
SuperBike

wow,this guy is having a bad week,or two,ive come to understand,most shops you go to seem to work on bikes like they are doing it in the back yard,pliers,ductape,and freakin windex lol.
i can do that myself,thats why i do all work on all my vehicles myself.im fortunate to come from a mc background.
maybe i will open a small shop and charge 60hr,that will cut everyone else,and it will be done right.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
well, the shop I am working at charges 60 and we have more than enough work, booking out a 2 weeks right now.

Quick Reply: Two diffene kind of cct.... why