Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What filter is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
What filter is this?

I decided to check the filter and not only does it look dirty to me it doesnt look stock from the diagrams i have seen. I was going to cut that flange off and I noticed that it had none. I guess the PO put in another kind. Is this a K&N. Might be why its been running funny. Can filters be cleaned? Heres some pics.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:10 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a K&N.... you can clean it.. K&N sells a kit to do so... like 15-20 dollars at a auto parts store.

I had the same thing happen to me...bought a stock filter to open up the airbox and find a K&N... if you find you don't want to K&N, I'd be willing to swap my "new" stock filter for this one... the stock filter I have has like 50 miles on it... put it in long enough to ride the bike while I waited a day for the K&N to dry.

J.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I have been reading post on this site about the K&N coming with rubber plugs to block off the breather holes in the airbox. Is this correct? Mine has two rectangle boxes with filters in them covering the holes.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StoneJrW
Thanks. I have been reading post on this site about the K&N coming with rubber plugs to block off the breather holes in the airbox. Is this correct? Mine has two rectangle boxes with filters in them covering the holes.
Yes the K&N comes with the rubber plugs to block those air ports. The plastic part of the filter really will not seal them off.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:02 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually the K&N will run well even when dirty, as long as you have the rubber plugs in you should be good to go. A Dirty than hell K&N still breaths better than a Stock new filter..
Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Squid

blacksheep is on a distinguished road
Speaking of filters, anyone hear of a BMC filter for the SH?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I wouldnt even begin to call that dirty for a K&N, and its been quite researched that K&N filters don't filter well until they are visibly dirty. I would leave them alone. Another K&N caveat...Don't over oil them. Very common for people to saturate the gauze medium trying to get it all "red" but that oil wicks to cover quite well...very little is needed.

-R