Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Civic oil filter against honda motorcycle filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Squid

roisman is on a distinguished road
Civic oil filter against honda motorcycle filter

Hi! Just want to ask if there is a difference in performance if you use an oil filter for the Honda Civic on your Hawk. I have looked at my Civic's filter and it is identical to the oil filter on the Hawk, the threads also match up. I know somebody that uses a honda car oil filter on his Shadow and said that it did'nt affect performance. Just asking this because I have lots of Honda Civic oil filters that I got on bulk discount from a retail store closeout.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by roisman
Hi! Just want to ask if there is a difference in performance if you use an oil filter for the Honda Civic on your Hawk. I have looked at my Civic's filter and it is identical to the oil filter on the Hawk, the threads also match up. I know somebody that uses a honda car oil filter on his Shadow and said that it did'nt affect performance. Just asking this because I have lots of Honda Civic oil filters that I got on bulk discount from a retail store closeout.
I think by the time you have done the research, spent the time and money required to know a non spec filter is up to the task,, you could have bought a lot of filters designed for the SH.

If you have the equipment to test flow, max bursting pressure, disassemble the filter to check back flow / bypass valving, check the end cap, for build design and integrity when in use on a high vibration, high heat motorcycle design, measure the filtering capacity when new, and as it becomes used. Then go for it.. It would be an interesting evaluation. Use good accountability, recording and scientific method to do the evaluation so the results can be backed up with real, repeatable, known data.

Or just twist one on and let us know how it goes over the course of a few thousand miles..lol
Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Squid

yabang
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Check here:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
Old 03-07-2007, 06:39 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
thanks for the link...very interesting

cheers
Old 03-07-2007, 07:35 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I use the Advance Auto Total Grip filter for a Mazda Miata. I believe it's filter number AA7317. According to this webpage, it's nearly identical to the Purolator filter. It's real cheap and I have never had a problem.

http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/MiataOFilters.htm
Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm using the Purolator Pure One for Mazda, etc. First time this last oil change. Also using the Rotella T synthetic oil. Clutch seems fine so far.

Decided to go with these based on this guys research & experience:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

If something is both better & cheaper; I'm there.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
I think by the time you have done the research, spent the time and money required to know a non spec filter is up to the task,, you could have bought a lot of filters designed for the SH.

If you have the equipment to test flow, max bursting pressure, disassemble the filter to check back flow / bypass valving, check the end cap, for build design and integrity when in use on a high vibration, high heat motorcycle design, measure the filtering capacity when new, and as it becomes used. Then go for it.. It would be an interesting evaluation. Use good accountability, recording and scientific method to do the evaluation so the results can be backed up with real, repeatable, known data.

Or just twist one on and let us know how it goes over the course of a few thousand miles..lol
I don't get it, does this answer my question?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Squid

Thanks for the link guys, very helpful information there.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Purolator Pure One PL14612. It's for a Mazda RX-7 twin turbo which is a 9000 rpm engine and is physically identical.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by roisman
I don't get it, does this answer my question?
Well I sure thought it did .

Bottom Line No I do not. And no one else will either unless they have done the testing required. Other then that it's just a guess and a hope.

I would guess there are other filters out there that will work just fine on SH.. I hope you find one., If you do, please share what you find here..

Thanks for looking in to this for all of us.

Good luck with your decision and choice.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
This thread's a bit old but for those of you who've bought Purolator filters where did you find them? I was going to change oil today and pick up a filter but not sure who carries them. I could order online but didn't want to wait.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Go down to Walmart, pick up the SuperTech 6607 cost about $2.20 go home put it on your bike and ride....A ton of people use that one on this forum, haven't heard any complaints...and some guys even race the damn things...

Hope that helps...oh, and I have used 2 of them so far, one year between oil changes, run synthetic oil...no issues...
Old 04-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Well, I had to go to Pep Boys anyway and found the Purolator filter there. I'll remember the SuperTech at Walmart, thanks.