Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

what else?? cct related

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Squid

bigjay77 is on a distinguished road
Question what else?? cct related

hi guys, been reading/lurking, just bought a 98 shawk (1k$ 50kmiles) witha known bad cct on the front, im gonna get two mcct, but i was looking for info as to whether or not i had to change out the cam chain guides, the piece that the cct pushes against, i searched but didnt get anything on the guides

should i replace them or not

i also know i might need valves i havent checked them yet hopefully they are ok

any info is greatly appreciated, this hawk is gonna be my track/street bike, ps this site has alota great information

thx, jason
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Did the cam chain tensioner break or not. If it did, you might have extensive engine damage. If it didn't break, or it is noisy, then you need to replace it before they let go. Valve guides should be fine, never heard any issue with the valve guides. When you say you might need valves, it leads me to think that the tensioner already broke. You might wanna check if the piston is still in one piece because when the tensioner lets go, the chains slips off the cams and the valves hit the piston as they become out of time. I think you need to take the head off the front cylinder to inspect the damage. Buy yourself a honda service manual. it becomes very helpfull.
Does the bike run or not?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Squid

the cct is stuck, when i took the valve cover off the cam chain was loose, this bike ran before, the ex owner heard rattling and stopped ridng it, had a kid, and could not fix the bike, so it had noisy cam chain as far as i can tell then he didnt use it, im gonna check the valve gaps before i take off the head

glad to hear that the guides arent really an issue
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are lucky, the piston would be intact, if not, the piston would be jacked up and that's gonna be expensive to fix as you need someone to split the cases to replace it. if the valves are bent and piston is fine, I have a spare set of head in my garage if you need them.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Cct

If I can jump in here, have you checked to see if the cams are still "timed" properly. If you have a manual it will show you how to do that. If the cams are still timed..should be all right. When you check clearance, you will also be checking cam timing in a sense...I would not turn it over without cct functioning...if it hasn't skipped it can.. makes the job bigger...Slow and easy.. do it right...I would opt for the APE cct's.. The cam chain tensioner is worn more when cam chain properly tight then when loose. Lot's of help on this forum.. don't be afraid to ask.. it has helped me lots...

Hope you find things healthy in the engine
Dave
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I was going to say the same thing about checking the timing marks first - hard to imagine it skipping and by chance lining up again. A quick compression check after that would tell you if a valve was bent. probably safe to assume OK if those were both OK.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Dave Wicks
If I can jump in here, have you checked to see if the cams are still "timed" properly. If you have a manual it will show you how to do that. If the cams are still timed..should be all right. When you check clearance, you will also be checking cam timing in a sense...I would not turn it over without cct functioning...if it hasn't skipped it can.. makes the job bigger...Slow and easy.. do it right...I would opt for the APE cct's.. The cam chain tensioner is worn more when cam chain properly tight then when loose. Lot's of help on this forum.. don't be afraid to ask.. it has helped me lots...

Hope you find things healthy in the engine
Dave
thats what i was thinking when i plan on checking the valve clearances, i just took off the cover yesterday and this project isnt not rush so i wanna do it right, and hopefully it is still timed correctly, where can i get those ape mccts all i get is a site sudco/ape, is that the only place??
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Squid

Firehawk_ordie is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,
I was wondering, what king of noise would indicate that the CCTs are going bad? My bike has about 58k and i hear sort of a chirpping sound. Especially on acceleration. Also would a newer model year stock set of CCTs be good for 45-50k more miles? My bike is a 98 and I am tearing it down due to a accident. Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind I've seen many good low mile engines on ebay for several hundred bucks and even with the cost of shipping may be a better deal than the cost and headache of rebuilding yours. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
A.p.e.

If you type APE into Google you get the site about 4 or 5 down.. It's American Performance Engineering...race parts fro bikes... I ordered mine right from them...quick, easy and helpful.... As far as the other lad with the chirping sound....I think the sound indicating trouble is more of a thrashing/clattering sound.. loose chain slapping around...If is skips it doesn't make for a happy day...58,000 miles...change em...these motors are too good to waste...

Dave
Old 03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You should probably install the APE CCTs BEFORE you check the cam timing. Checking the timing requires that you rotate the engine. If the chain is as loose as you say it is then it will most likely slip more. If you're really lucky you didn't skip any teeth at all.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Squid

ok im not really lucky, i got to the point where i could turn the engine with a modified stock cct holding the camchain, worked great, ( i can do a how-to if yall like) so i goto turn the crank and i feel a noticably hard stop not compression but a stop, i notice the pads the exhaust cam pushes on are not all the way up and come to the conclusion that i have 2 bent exhaust valves. :-( ok, now i am wondering if its possible to remove the front head without dropping the whole engine??? after reseaching for a while i cant find the answer

im also ordering valves, gaskets, mccts, any other input???
Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Bummer.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:21 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bigjay77
ok im not really lucky, i got to the point where i could turn the engine with a modified stock cct holding the camchain, worked great, ( i can do a how-to if yall like) so i goto turn the crank and i feel a noticably hard stop not compression but a stop, i notice the pads the exhaust cam pushes on are not all the way up and come to the conclusion that i have 2 bent exhaust valves. :-( ok, now i am wondering if its possible to remove the front head without dropping the whole engine??? after reseaching for a while i cant find the answer

im also ordering valves, gaskets, mccts, any other input???
Yes, you can remove the head without removing the engine. It will be much simpler with radiators and oilcooler moved however but certainly it can be done and is the outlined method in the shop manual

bill
Old 04-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Squid

OK thats what i was looking for, i saw the manual but i showed pics of the engine in and out thoughout the head removal instructions, i will work on this and wait for the replacement parts

thx :-)

jason
Old 01-26-2021, 06:08 PM
Squid
Squid

adewhitmarsh is on a distinguished road
Manual cct supplier from UK

Manual cct tensioners i supply have stainless steel screws & nuts.A o-ring is fitted under the main lock nut to prevent oil leakage.I have been manufacturing & supplying various owners groups,forums & Facebook groups for afews years in UK, Europe .I have just started suppling owners in Canada & USA.
Please contact me for further details at adrianwhitmarsh@yahoo.co.uk
A pair of manual ccts are $63.00 + $22.00 postage. Payment by PayPal account adrianwhitmarsh@yahoo.co.uk ( friends & family no fees)I can supply fitting instructions by email on request.