Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

SH has sprung a leak - oil pan or clutch related? help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Squid

blacksheep is on a distinguished road
SH has sprung a leak - oil pan or clutch related? help!

Well, I looked under the SH and saw 2 or 3 drops of oil. So, I laid down ASAP and started peeking.

It seems as though there is oil on all of the bolts that hold the oil pan (?) on, perhaps.

So, I am a bit worried. I need to pull out the manual and find the drain bolt and see if thats where its coming from.

Only other thing I noticed is that my clutch fluid level (on left side handlebar) is at the lower level mark which worries me. Sometimes, my gears engage loudly and at high rpms shifts from 1st to second, I "grind".

I am not sure if this is related or not and if the leak is clutch fluid, perhaps! Does this happen often? I need to fill the fluid back up and see if I lose it. I guess I can buy fluid from Honda for it unless there is something I can use from NAPA or Autozone?

I am surprised as my 98 had 2400 miles when I picked it up and I have ridden it about 500 miles in the last 3 weeks or so, I am loving it!

Can someone help me with this as to where to start? Thanks so much in advance!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Check the pan and drain bolts and make sure they are tight, the drain plug should have a sealing washer on it so try and see if its there as well.

You should be able to use any DOT approved fluid (double check what the cap says to use, DOT 4 iirc on my '02)

Originally Posted by blacksheep
Well, I looked under the SH and saw 2 or 3 drops of oil. So, I laid down ASAP and started peeking.

It seems as though there is oil on all of the bolts that hold the oil pan (?) on, perhaps.

So, I am a bit worried. I need to pull out the manual and find the drain bolt and see if thats where its coming from.

Only other thing I noticed is that my clutch fluid level (on left side handlebar) is at the lower level mark which worries me. Sometimes, my gears engage loudly and at high rpms shifts from 1st to second, I "grind".

I am not sure if this is related or not and if the leak is clutch fluid, perhaps! Does this happen often? I need to fill the fluid back up and see if I lose it. I guess I can buy fluid from Honda for it unless there is something I can use from NAPA or Autozone?

I am surprised as my 98 had 2400 miles when I picked it up and I have ridden it about 500 miles in the last 3 weeks or so, I am loving it!

Can someone help me with this as to where to start? Thanks so much in advance!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Check the oil filter. Clean the motor real well, then dust it with baby powder, and go for a good ride. You should find the leak trail.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Squid

Well, I did check the oil filter first to see if the sucka was loose or coming off - LOL. Nothing! Its sealed tight...The oil seems to be coming out of the bolt - I will try to tighten it some.

I will remove the chinguard piece, spray the block down with brakekleen, then simple green and wash it off before I ride again...

Good idea on the babypowder. Just rub the block with babypowder, aye? I might use the goldbond I have - great for prickly skin....
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
OK, sounds like the crush washer on the oil filter is bad. I really wouldn't think it would be something major with only 2400 miles. Probably never ever been cleaned under there.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Squid

bling - did you mean crush washer on drain plug? Most cars have those, I was wondering if that could be it. I need to find that drain plug in the manual, couldnt find the sucka peeking - wondering if the chingaurd needs to come off, maybe?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
SuperBike

I don't believe the chin spoiler has to come off to get to the drain plug. The plug is on the left side near the kicksatnd iirc, 17mm maybe? its been a few months since I changed my oil...

Originally Posted by blacksheep
bling - did you mean crush washer on drain plug? Most cars have those, I was wondering if that could be it. I need to find that drain plug in the manual, couldnt find the sucka peeking - wondering if the chingaurd needs to come off, maybe?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Squid

RickB - Thanks, I havent looked for it. That would make sense, thats the side the oil is on. I will have to check it out ASAP. I am waiting on my race stand to get here, I am nervous laying under on the center stand - I can see bad things happening when the handlebar cracks my noggin or the clutch lever takes out my left eye!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I think the oil drain bolt is 14mm! The cluch slave cylinder is on the left side too. If your low on clutch fluid and not engine oil it might be the first place to look. Good luck
Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Lefin102
I think the oil drain bolt is 14mm! The cluch slave cylinder is on the left side too. If your low on clutch fluid and not engine oil it might be the first place to look. Good luck
it smelt more like oil, but I could be wrong. So, I will try to take a picture soon of the leakage..

Any other symptoms of clutch slave cylinder issues?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Squid

Motohead
Check the oil cooler line bolt on that side, too. If the bolt is loose or the o-ring is misaligned it could be slowly dripping oil, allowing it to run down to the pan. Unlikely on a low-mile bike, but possible.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 AM
SuperBike

I could have been thinking of my DR200se plug... its quite a big one for a small engine.

Originally Posted by Lefin102
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Squid

I will check tonight and get back with some pics!