Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Last Q....vibe + CCT noise, related?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Last Q....vibe + CCT noise, related?

So this mystery vibration, chattering sensation, etc that I've been complaining about forever. It's gotten way, way worse every day I've ridden it. It's not engine-temp-dependent, but it doesn't happen when it's cold. As soon as it hits operating temp, it starts, and doesn't stop again til the bike sits for a few hours.

On my ride home today, it's vibrating like hell. I pull over to get gas, and I've got a DISTINCT, loud clattering sound that wasn't there before....sitting from atop it sounds like the forward cylinder. Don't know *exactly* what the CCT death-knell sounds like from experience, but I'll be damned if this doesn't sound like what it'd be.

So the bike is getting parked, pending a trade-in if I get my raise at work.

So my last question....is it possible the cam chain has been losing tension over the past thousand miles and this is causing the vibration?? Doesn't seem likely to me, but I might consider keeping her if just doing CCT's would solve EVERYTHING. Only reason I'm asking. Bike just doesn't "feel" right. Runs and shifts fine, but the shift actions and behavior between the engine and trans/clutch just feels sloppy and loose.

Thanks, you guys are the best. This is it from me, I swear
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
My .02 says it's the bottom end. The clutch is coming apart. Something in the tranny??? I don't think the tops on these engines fool around, vibrate, clatter, they just fail. They may whir and whine but they won't clatter, chatter, and vibrate. Good thing you can park it. Sounds like a winter tear down to me. Trade? They will offer you $1200 for it max. Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
My .02 says it's the bottom end. The clutch is coming apart. Something in the tranny??? I don't think the tops on these engines fool around, vibrate, clatter, they just fail. They may whir and whine but they won't clatter, chatter, and vibrate. Good thing you can park it. Sounds like a winter tear down to me. Trade? They will offer you $1200 for it max. Good Luck!
Yeah whatever it is, it's failing pretty catastrophically at this point. I just have so much going on and I live in an appt, so teardown here isn't a possibility. I could park it in my dad's garage, but it'd never get done because I just can't get over there enough for simple things, much less to do a teardown. Just bad luck and bad timing. Had nothing but problems with this bike since I bought it.... Mileage has nothing to do with it....I bought it with less than 10,000 ACTUAL miles. But she was ridden HARD and hung up wet and after 10 years, apparently that pretty much breaks everything. : /